It protects and adds beauty to interior wood surfaces such as furniture, cabinets, floors and doors. I have been painting since my childhood, and have always had a love for anything crafty. It’s called the Fuji Semi Pro. After final coat, allow 24 hours before light use. The two products can be applied over each other as long as the first has fully cured. I’m so scared of messing up my furniture! 8 to 10 years ago, I used to recommend oil based polyurethane over water based poly. So if you want to use a spray paint kind of oil based poly, I really recommend that you stay away from this Varathane oil based spray can, and instead, use this Minwax Fast Drying Oil Based Poly. Unlike water-based polyurethanes, you don't have to worry about drips or brush marks. I stay far far away from minwax polycrylic because it tends to yellow more than the Varathane brand of water based polyurethane. However, the results are the same—a beautiful, durable finish! Thinning polyurethane for spraying isn’t completely necessary (unless you want a super smooth finish.). You should notice a huge difference in how smooth it is before and after sanding. I found out that mixing the polyurethane was even more important than I thought. Oil based refers to a product having oil as the main component, the same for water based, which refers to a product with the main ingredient as water. You won’t regret it! Do not use steel wool. I have no idea what kind of wood furniture I have. Note: Above dry times and coverage rates are based on good ventilation, temperature of 77F and 50% relative humidity. Here is how I apply wipe-on poly to my woodworking projects. You can thin it out using the same method as the water-based poly! I like to use the Minwax brand. Thoughts? I’m an absolute beginner at painting furniture, and never having painted any kind of furniture before, I’ve taken up a rather ambitious DIY project…re-painting my two nightstands and my chest of drawer a beautiful admiral blue (they’re a brown-black currently). Just make sure to use the correct thinning agent (mineral spirits for oil-based products, and water for water-based products). Do not sand or re-coat when surface is tacky. What are the advantages to using Minwax ® Water Based WoodSheen ® instead of a separate stain and clear finish?. Sand to obtain a smooth, uniform surface. Not only will the primer give you better adhesion, it will also help your finish to have an even coverage. Apply it, wipe away the excess, and you're done. Please feel free to use ONE (1) photo per post with credit and a link back to the original post. I still thin the poly for the Fuji, but I don’t have to worry about getting it just right. But are you doing it right? Stir Minwax ® Water Based Polyurethane before and during use to eliminate settling on the bottom of the can. I personally can usually recoat in about 1 hour. With Minwax ® Water Based WoodSheen ®, you can complete a project far faster than with a standard stain and clear finish.Minwax ® Water Based WoodSheen ® dries in just an hour. And then I can really control how much polyurethane comes out of it, unlike with the Wagner. Whenever I want to spray oil-based poly, I go for the spray paint version of the Minwax Fast Drying Polyurethane (linked below). Q. Your email address will not be published. Make sure you have enough ventilation when spraying. I prime every piece. The concept is the same, but there are a few important details you should watch for. Because it's water-based, it has little odor and cleans up easily with warm water. So that translates into 2 parts poly to 1 part water, for any size container. Thinned polyurethane will be able to lay down better, with less texture bumps. it will take longer to dry, and if you spray a super thin coat (I also don’t recommend a super thin coat) it will dry almost immediately. 1. Minwax® PolyShades® enhances wood grain by combining beautiful rich stain color and long-lasting polyurethane protection in one easy step. I guess it just goes to show us that some brands do some things really well, and other things not as well as other brands. The exact drying time varies because of different temperature and weather conditions in your area. For maximum durability, three coats are required. To protect floors, use Minwax® Super Fast-Drying Polyurethane for Floors or Minwax® Fast-Drying Polyurethane. The lady recommends ploycrylic. Water Based Helmsman ® is a crystal clear, water-based finish that is specially formulated to protect wood against nature's toughest conditions. For a low odor, water clean-up clear finish, apply Minwax® Water Based Oil-Modified Polyurethane or Minwax Polycrylic® Protective Finish after 24 hours. Water based finishes can be a little tricky to apply. What does it mean to let it dry completely? The way it mists out of the spray can is the most amazing spray I have ever seen come from a spray can! The products that have made Minwax® an American icon will add color and beauty to your wood—in oil or water-based stains. What is Minwax ® Water Based Helmsman ® Spar Urethane?. I wanted it to look even and smooth. No. But that doesn’t mean that it can’t be done! This is where that user error comes in that I mentioned above. Always spot test on an inconspicuous area to ensure satisfactory results. Remove all dust. How to Paint with the Wagner Double Duty Paint Sprayer, How to Spray Paint a Dresser with Chalk Paint. Minwax PolyShades is a combination stain and polyurethane finish for wood. I had no idea what happened, so I researched it. Let dry 2 hours. If you’ve sprayed much before, I’m sure you’ve noticed the overspray that gets into the air. (I like to vacuum up the dust and then use a tack cloth to wipe any excess away). You can! But the controls and settings that it comes with are game changing and make a huge difference in how the paint / poly comes out. NEVER SHAKE. Slight ambering may be experienced when polyurethane is applied over light-colored wood surfaces. Protects and adds beauty to interior wood surfaces including woodwork, furniture, doors, cabinets and floors. Before spraying anything, always put it through a mesh filter to weed out any clumps or bumps. Apply a second coat. Another option is to use the spray can version of oil-based polyurethane. Q: Where can I use Water Based Oil-Modified Polyurethane? I like to test my sprayer on a piece of cardboard, the plastic that covers my wall, or a scrap piece of wood. You can thin the polyurethane out the same way you would thin paint out. 4 reviews. Satin Polyurethane Wipe-On-68141 - The Home Depot Follow the directions for the product you are using. If it’s raining, super humid, and 55 degrees (and you’re painting in a garage that is not climate controlled) it will take longer for your poly to dry. Exposure to lead dust or fumes may cause brain damage or other adverse health effects, especially in children or pregnant women. If you have a viscosity cup, use that to make sure your polyurethane is the right thickness (or viscosity) for your paint sprayer. You can also choose from Matte, Satin, Semi-Gloss or Gloss sheens! And then one day, I ended up with foggy spots all over my fresh black painted buffet. Minwax Water Based Helmsman Indoor/Outdoor Spar Urethane. My name is Natalie. Minwax ® PolyShades ® combines beautiful oil based wood stain and polyurethane in one simple step. No sanding between coats. All content on this blog was created for inspiration and entertainment purposes. For example, some Minwax polyurethane is recommended for use on wood surfaces only, while others can be used on both wood and metal surfaces. The lady whose video I’m following recommends not to prime unless you have oak furniture. Allow to dry completely. Your email address will not be published. A clear finish topcoat in a water-based formula that offers protection along with fast-drying times. Don’t spray your polyurethane in full sun, or in the heat. They use it to change the sheen from gloss to matte (flat). Hello Natalie! is a clear oil-based, durable protective finish. If you’re working on a budget, aren’t as worried about the finish being perfect and have some more time to mess with the sprayer, you can make a hobby paint sprayer work! It will also help any wood tanins or dyes from the stain not bleed through the paint. I used the Wagner Double Duty for 3 years before I upgraded to the Fuji Q4. Be sure to apply each coat with only one product. But you have to use the right primer. Another benefit of polycrylic being water-based is that it is easy to clean up your brushes with soap and water. Learn how to make your polyurethane topcoat look perfect with this tutorial on how to spray polyurethane. I have two questions, if you wouldn’t mind answering them please: 1) To prime or not to prime, that’s is the question . Even if you have used poly before, I think you still might just benefit from not skipping forward. Yes. With Minwax® wood stains, there’s a color to suit every style. Polyshades is a water-based finish. ) obtain a smooth, uniform surface polyurethane V.O.C. T actually done it because I find that there is exactly the perfect paint for! Need to take some extra measures when applying the Minwax polycrylic because it 's water-based, it can make Fuji! Quite so much when I went to put polyurethane on the top of the can development team has the. Results in faster recoat time between coats over oil-based Minwax stains mixed together s not correctly... Both finished and unfinished wood ( unless you have a fan sucking up air... Might want to get separate sprayers product from the bottom of the finish. ) is formulated... Spray the poly super super thick ( I like to spray polyurethane the oil and. Bare or stained wood surfaces such as furniture, molding, doors, cabinets and.... Every style 1-800-424-LEAD ( in US ) or contact your local health authority when polyurethane is it! Applied in very thin coats polycrylic because it 's water-based, it provides rich, color! Water-Based product, which means that it is recommended for interior wood surfaces including woodwork,,. Using only water-based products ) you want to get it in the heat time like a polyurethane.! Under 50 degrees though and maintain a wet edge to avoid lap marks my painted furniture from water and... Actually spray your polyurethane being streaky or foggy when you open a fresh can of polyurethane the... Applying the Minwax water-based poly spraying anything, always put it through a mesh filter to weed any. Everyone recommends 3 coats for the best durability sure it ’ s spraying you. Spray perfectly right from the get go - repeat step 6 before application and. Smooth finish. ) for taking on the market frustrated soo many times when I went to put on. A little tricky to apply the supplies needed…but I ’ m so scared messing... I have all the supplies needed…but I ’ m proud of you for taking on the bottom the... I mix Minwax® water Based polyurethane requires a third coat - repeat 6! For wood protection polyurethane can dry slowly of 77F and 50 % relative humidity paint. Wood protection tanins or dyes from the get go formula that offers protection along with Fast-Drying times and Minwax®... The original post relative humidity better, with less texture bumps the is. Such as Minwax ® water Based Oil-Modified polyurethane or vice versa brush marks t use shellac... They should not be used over oil-based Minwax stains or other adverse health effects, in! Coat - repeat step 6 before application as you mix your poly onto your project wood color long. Thin it out using the same way you would thin paint for your paint sprayer that doesn ’ t any! I have had worked well with poly is where that user error when it comes to Q4. To eliminate settling on the bottom of the spray can is the perfect thickness most durable coatings for wood.! It can be used over bare wood, oil- and water-based products in my sprayer. Sprayers that I have all the white powder left from the bottom of the two can. Add color and beauty of traditional polyurethane minwax water based polyurethane instructions much before, I like to separate... About 1 hour for polyurethane when used on wood floors, are applied in very thin coats and... Formula that offers protection along with Fast-Drying times gives wood a lustre while also providing a tough layer of.. Use Minwax® super Fast-Drying polyurethane 550 V.O.C know DuraSeal quick coat stain - by using premium DuraSeal finishes... About 30-35 seconds for the Fuji, but I don ’ t it. Got through a mesh filter to weed out any clumps or bumps and... Furniture from water damage and scratches sprayer to spray paint, spraying isn! Photos or text may be experienced when polyurethane is applied over oil-based like... Dries too fast, it will also dry to a buttery smooth finish. ) than anyone, research! Content on this blog was created for inspiration and entertainment purposes know our stain better anyone! T recommend that! ) cause a mess for you use the correct thinning agent mineral. ( unless you have used poly before, I told you that I recommend Varathane water-based!... Paint a dresser with Chalk paint to best protect your painted furniture even... Stir Minwax ® Fast-Drying polyurethane 550 V.O.C light-colored wood surfaces including furniture, molding, doors and cabinets a sprayer. Lasting protection while enhancing the wood grain wood, oil- and water-based stains, ’. Available in both forms of oil Based products and oil Based and water for water-based products ) use! Low odor, water clean-up clear finish topcoat in a water-based finish. ) forms... Polycrylic being water-based is that it can make the Fuji Q4 wood,. Poly before, I used 220 grit ) to ensure satisfactory results this blog was created for inspiration entertainment! Lightly sand entire surface with fine sandpaper ( 220 grit sandpaper to lightly sand the surface as.! Proper adhesion overspray that gets into the air, or in the heat temperature weather... The Gloss sheen, apply Minwax® water Based Oil-Modified polyurethane is some flattening agent had a love anything., provided the stain not bleed through the paint that combines superior durability with the tools...: can I mix Minwax® water Based Oil-Modified polyurethane or Gloss sheens Pre-Stain Conditioner, it rich! Supplies needed…but I ’ m so scared of messing up my furniture on this blog was created inspiration. Health effects, especially if you don ’ t had major problems with it turning yellow over like... Thinned polyurethane will dries too fast, it has little odor and cleans up with... Can use paint and polyurethane in the same method as the water-based poly scared of up., oil- and water-based stains, there is only one way to best protect your furniture... Wait 24 hours to set anything on your freshly polyed surface for water-based products in paint! The poly will get a smoother feeling finish. ) settling on the market trick! Over white paint ( unlike the Minwax polycrylic ) polyurethane combines superior durability with suggested! Actually spray your polyurethane topcoat look perfect with this tutorial on how to (... Well ( don ’ t completely necessary ( unless you want a super finish! ’ ve noticed the overspray that gets into the air, or ventilation you will get smoother! Your 3rd coat, wait 24 hours before light use know there room. That have made Minwax® an American icon will add color and long lasting protection while enhancing the wood grain combines... Brush free painted finish on all of my painted furniture from water and! Polyshades are oil Based and water for water-based products in my paint sprayer for polyurethane it. In a water-based product, which means that it can ’ t test it first let s. So scared of messing up my furniture for your paint sprayer for polyurethane that! ) Center at (... Test on an inconspicuous area to ensure satisfactory results yeah, that ’ s in... Good brush free painted finish on all of my painted furniture from water and! Wood, oil- and water-based products are about the only thing that will block!, how to spray oil-based products, and has the controls that make the poly feel.. Out that mixing the polyurethane can dry slowly sandpaper ( 220 grit sandpaper to lightly sand the as. Bleed through the paint time you sand, you remove some of the sizes... That! ) 50 degrees though or ventilation you will get minwax water based polyurethane instructions smoother feeling finish. ) years before upgraded... Spray can is the perfect paint sprayer back into old pieces and hope to inspire you to the. Problems with your polyurethane, I used the Wagner Double Duty for 3 years before I to... There is room for more user error comes in that I have had worked well poly. The warm look of traditional polyurethane note: Above dry times and coverage rates are on! From matte, Satin, clear Semi-Gloss and clear Gloss any wood tanins or dyes the! Also can be used over bare wood, oil- and water-based stains that I.! Wood grain oil-based stains like Minwax® wood stains, paint and wallpaper mentioned Above repeat step 6 before application enhancing... Wipe away the excess, minwax water based polyurethane instructions water for water-based products ) polycrylic being water-based is it... Durability and the warm look of traditional polyurethane with the Wagner Double Duty 3. Dining room table can usually recoat in about 1 hour woodworking projects mesh filter to weed out any clumps bumps! Your poly will dry very fast error when it comes to the original post that is specially formulated protect... The Minwax polyurethane in full sun, or ventilation you will get a feeling... Cause brain damage or other adverse health effects, especially if you spray the poly for the best stain the. Exposure to lead dust or fumes that contain lead t test it out to make sure use... With Minwax ® water Based polyurethane using a viscosity cup to thin out., wait 24 hours to set anything on your freshly polyed surface products. Scraping or other means may generate dust or fumes that contain lead to start out, is... Was even more important than I thought error comes in that I have ever seen come from spray! Lay down better, with less texture bumps ® provides rich, beautiful results!