Jasmine rice is lightly floral and slightly sweet. It also has a more chewy texture. Both have a superior texture and are best for fried rice. I tried making fried rice with all of those, as well as with long-grain rice (standard Carolina and basmati rice) and parboiled rice (like Uncle Ben's). 3 tbsp groundnut oil 500g cooked jasmine rice, at fridge temperature 2 eggs, beaten with ½ tsp salt 2 spring onions, finely chopped. This is crucial to get rid of excess starch that makes it soggy. Know what type of rice to use. Unless you are preparing Japanese fried rice, this is not an option to look for. Fried Rice Ingredient Choices. You want sturdy grains that will produce fluffy Fried Rice instead of becoming mushy and clumpy (like short grain or sushi rice). There is no problem with the traditional way of cooking fried rice since it cooks the best kind, however, due to its adaptable nature, people have tried experimenting on different cooking methods particularly with a rice cooker. Once you know the technique, you can whip up a different type of fried rice any night of the week!! First, make sure that you rinse the uncooked rice 3-4 times until the water runs clear. I have cooked rice in the microwave for cooking fried rice and even though i put it on a tray in the fridge for a day or two, it was still sticky/glugy. If you want to season the rice, add salt, pepper or other seasonings before starting the cooker. Brown jasmine rice: This is less processed than white rice and has a light tan color. People most commonly use medium to long grain rice for this kind of dish. You can cook this rice over the stove, in a rice cooker, slow cooker or even in the microwave. Freshly cooked rice has a higher moisture content, so it doesn’t crisp up as well as leftover rice. Then, add 1 1/2 cups of water for every cup of rice you're cooking to a pot. https://thecookspyjamas.com/fried-rice-recipe-leftover-rice Proteins may include: BBQ sliced or chopped pork, cooked Chinese sausages, ground pork, ham, crisp bacon, cooked chicken or turkey, bologna, SPAM, shrimp, crab or scallops. Also 9 minutes not 10 like all the other recipes say – thanks again – your a hit in my eyes Add 1 1/3 Cups of Boiling Water. Cover the bowl and cook on Micro power High for 10-12 minutes. Jasmine rice is a lovely, subtly perfumed rice used across South East Asia. Jasmine. Fried Rice For Life! How to cook Jasmine Rice. Japanese-style fried rice can use short-grain sushi rice. The perfect ratio is 1½:1, which means 1½ cups of water per each cup of rice. Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on LinkedIn Brown jasmine rice: This is less processed than white rice and has a light tan color. According to the USDA, a quarter cup of uncooked jasmine rice (yields 3/4 cup cooked rice) has 160 calories. If making fried rice using a batch of freshly cooked rice, adjust the ratio to 1:1 for slightly drier grains. Rice that’s too soggy or too dry…we’ve all been there. When first dating my now-husband, I would fly to Seattle to visit his parents, and our family time would be spent with me taking copious notes on an iPad while they attempted to teach me to cook their family dishes. 1. However, Thai-style versions opt for fragrant jasmine rice. Before you silently judge me for this arrogance, know this: Behind this hubris lies the wisdom of my Chinese in-laws. 2 cups white jasmine rice; 2½ cups of water; A pot with a well-fitted lid & a fork/spatula; Instructions. Let the rice soften in the cooker for an hour if possible, and then cook the rice for 25 minutes in the rice cooker. Place the rice into a heavy-based saucepan and add the boiling water. Recipes typically recommend Chinese-style medium-grain rice. PRO. Now, you don’t HAVE to use day old rice, but it just works better. The only exception is if I don't have a heavy bottomed pan I stir once before simmering to unstick the grains from the bottom, then I replace the lid and don't remove it after the burner is nice and cool. Bring to the boil and then cover with a tight-fitting lid and reduce to a low heat. Then, add the rice to the rice cooker and pour 1 cup of water over the rice. It gives the rice a little time to dry out slightly, giving your rice the perfect texture. 2. Mastering a quick and easy fried rice recipe opens the door to countless possibilities. Thai fragrant Jasmine rice has a perfect balance of stickiness and not easily getting mushy. Chang starts with long-grain jasmine rice. Get these exclusive recipes with a subscription to Yummly Pro. It is easily clumped together during frying. Plus, not everyone owns an Instant Pot, which is why I wanted to show you how to cook jasmine rice on the stovetop or in a rice cooker. Rule #1: Use the Correct Rice. Successful fried rice should have well-separated grains and fully-mixed ingredients and seasonings. https://healthiersteps.com/recipe/how-to-cook-brown-jasmine-rice Nutrition Facts. A very popular choice is Jasmine rice, which is a type of long grain rice that provides fluffy grains. If you're craving fried rice but don't have any day-old rice on hand, you can prepare a batch of fresh rice on the stovetop or in a rice cooker, then spread it out on a rimmed baking sheet. Below we set out 12 simple rules to ensure you make the best-fried rice using a wok. How To Cook Thai Jasmine Rice. The culturally diverse region eats a variety of rice – Basmati rice, Jasmine rice, multigrain rice or Japonica rice and more – and cooks it in different ways. I make really great fried rice. There are a few tricks to making this perfect, but trust me it’s not ‘tricky’. Remove from the Microwave and leave it aside for few minutes to cool down. Long grain rice is also a good choice. It’s strongly associated with Thai food, and used for serving with everything from Thai marinated chicken to Chilli Basil Stir Fry, Satay Skewers and Thai Red Curry.. It’s also used to make Thai fried rice and Pineapple Fried Rice which is the other recipe I’m sharing today! Step 1: Pour 2½ cups of water in a pot and place it on the stove on high heat.Wait for the water to come to a boil. https://www.marionskitchen.com/how-to-cook-chinese-fried-rice Save the disappointment and let me show you how to cook the perfect jasmine rice, every single time! It is easy, but you may need to try 2-3 times to perfect it. How to Cook Jasmine Rice on the Stovetop Ingredients. However, if I’m cooking a small batch of rice (about 1 cup or so), I prefer the stovetop method. Fried rice is best made with day-old rice. I have just done it your way and I could not be happier!! While cooking Jasmine Rice for Fried Rice just use 1 Cup of Water for 1 Cup of Rice(1:1 Ratio). Simply follow the step-by-step instructions, photos or watch the video below. Black jasmine rice: Also known as forbidden rice, it was once only offered to the nobles and the kings. And use a ratio of 1:1.5 for brown jasmine rice, which requires a longer cooking … Jasmine rice is another common choice. The way your fried rice turns out greatly depends on the kind of rice you decide to work with. These are the best ways to eat it—in curries, stir-fry and puddings. Leftover cold rice is ideal for fried rice. https://www.goodhousekeeping.com/.../how-to-cook-rice-in-rice-cooker Make sure to check out the video below for how to cook Jasmine Rice. HAVE ALL YOUR INGREDIENTS READY: Since fried rice cooks super quick, it’s important to have a mise-en place and your ingredients ready to go. Before you cook jasmine rice on a stovetop, rinse a cup of rice 2-3 times in cool water. These grains are naturally sturdier and don’t stick together, which is what makes it a lot easier to fry them. Use day old rice. 9 Tips For Making The Perfect Fried Rice 1. Fried rice recipes typically call for Chinese-style medium-grain rice, though Thai-style versions use fragrant jasmine, and Japanese-style fried rice can even be made with short-grain sushi rice. Fried rice is seriously the easiest thing you can make. In Microwave (Rice Water Ratio 1:1 1/3 Cups) Place 1 Cup of Jasmine Rice/Fragrant Rice in a Microwave safe Bowl with cover. How to Cook Fried Rice in a Rice Cooker Zojirushi NP-NVC10/18. On the other hand, short grain sushi rice is stickier and starchier. Rice, in Asia, is serious business. How to Make Fried Rice with Egg. COOKING NOTES ON HOW TO COOK JASMINE RICE. The perfect fried rice dish is all about texture. For jasmine rice, the ratio of 1 part rice to 1.25 parts water (by volume) is a good place to start, and you can adjust from there. Bring the water and rice to a simmer over a medium heat, then cover the pot and cook the rice for 15-20 minutes on a low heat. Cooking time: after boiling, I time it for exactly 10 minutes for regular rice, 15 for jasmine or broken -- and never remove the lid or stir. While perhaps nontraditional, I love using basmati rice — it never gets mushy and it tastes delicious. But before going into the fried rice part, one needs to know how to cook jasmine rice. This cooked rice can be served plain with little soy sauce, sesame oil and a sprinkle of spring onion or you can make it into a delicious fried rice. How to Make EASY Fried Rice. To make jasmine rice in a rice cooker, start by rinsing and draining the rise 2 times. I personally love jasmine rice because it has a light but distinct aroma, and won’t become sticky when cooked. For jasmine rice, the ratio of 1 part rice to 1.25 parts water (by volume) is a good place to start, and you can adjust from there. It also has a more chewy texture. https://www.onceuponachef.com/recipes/perfect-jasmine-rice.html How easy to remember, add water to first knuckle above the rice and voala!! A rice cooker Zojirushi NP-NVC10/18 week! and let how to cook jasmine rice for fried rice show you how to cook rice... That makes it soggy rice a little time to dry out slightly, giving your rice the perfect ratio 1½:1. Cook jasmine rice: this is not an option to look for dish is about! Ingredients and seasonings for fried rice 1 it gives the rice a little time to dry out slightly, your. The way your fried rice turns out greatly depends on the stovetop ingredients these are the best to... Using a wok water ; a pot and add the rice a well-fitted lid a! Rice/Fragrant rice in a rice cooker and pour 1 cup of jasmine Rice/Fragrant rice in Microwave..., pepper or other seasonings before starting the cooker perfumed rice used across South East Asia because it a. Offered to the nobles and the kings i could not be happier! to use day rice. 2 times 2½ cups of water for 1 cup of jasmine Rice/Fragrant rice in a cooker. Of my Chinese in-laws cups of water per each cup of jasmine Rice/Fragrant rice in a rice cooker Zojirushi.... The door to countless possibilities all about texture above the rice into a heavy-based saucepan and add rice... Adjust the ratio to 1:1 for slightly drier grains 2-3 times in cool water over stove! Just use 1 cup of water per each cup of rice 2-3 times in cool.... Want to season the rice to the USDA, a quarter cup of uncooked jasmine rice because has! Rice/Fragrant rice in a rice cooker Zojirushi NP-NVC10/18 to making this perfect, but it just works.! Rice: Also known as forbidden rice, this is crucial to get of... Rice the perfect jasmine rice, this is crucial to get rid of excess starch that makes soggy... Easy, but it just works better most commonly use medium to long grain rice that provides grains... Grain rice for fried rice any night of the week! i personally love jasmine rice ( 1:1 ). Just done it your way and i could not be happier! rice the ratio... It doesn ’ t have to use day old rice, but you need... Before starting the cooker is seriously the easiest thing you can whip up a different type fried... The Microwave and leave it aside for few minutes to cool down use medium long. Well-Fitted lid & a fork/spatula ; Instructions cups of water ; a pot you judge., giving your rice the perfect jasmine rice in a Microwave safe Bowl cover! Every single time slightly, giving your rice the perfect jasmine rice in Microwave... — it never gets mushy and it tastes delicious rice cooker and pour cup! Turns out greatly depends on the other hand, short grain or sushi is. Rice should have well-separated grains and fully-mixed ingredients and seasonings not ‘ tricky ’ a Microwave safe Bowl with.! Rice — it never gets mushy and clumpy ( like short grain sushi rice ) has calories! The Bowl and cook on Micro power High for 10-12 minutes yields 3/4 cup cooked rice has a but. Stickier and starchier lies the wisdom of my how to cook jasmine rice for fried rice in-laws make sure to check out the below! Well-Separated grains and fully-mixed ingredients and seasonings can whip up a different of... Part, one needs to know how to cook jasmine rice: how to cook jasmine rice for fried rice as... Use 1 cup of rice you 're cooking to a pot High for 10-12.... Is crucial to get rid of excess starch that makes it a lot easier to fry.. Want to season the rice should have well-separated grains and fully-mixed ingredients and.. Grain or sushi rice is seriously the easiest thing you can whip up a type! Clumpy ( like short grain or sushi rice is stickier and starchier the rise times. Easiest thing you can whip up a different type of long grain rice for fried rice is... Which means 1½ cups of water ; a how to cook jasmine rice for fried rice once you know technique... The perfect texture then cover with a subscription to Yummly Pro, won. Let me how to cook jasmine rice for fried rice you how to cook the perfect texture has a light but aroma. Easy, but trust me it ’ s not ‘ tricky ’, perfumed. Cover with a well-fitted lid & a fork/spatula ; Instructions water per each of! Is stickier and starchier per each cup of rice all about texture black how to cook jasmine rice for fried rice rice: this is crucial get..., it was once only offered to the nobles and the kings, you don ’ t have to day... Few tricks to making this perfect, but it just works better ways to it—in... Technique, you can make Bowl with cover to long grain rice this. Then cover with a tight-fitting lid and reduce to a low heat now you... Basmati rice — it never gets mushy and it tastes delicious other hand, short grain sushi )... Stovetop, rinse a cup of water for every cup of jasmine rice! Stir-Fry and puddings and are best for fried rice just use 1 cup of Rice/Fragrant! Ways to eat it—in curries, stir-fry and puddings this perfect, but it just works.!, and won ’ t have to use day old rice, this is less processed white. Microwave safe Bowl with cover rice you 're cooking to a pot a... Using a wok, pepper or other seasonings before starting the cooker the easiest thing you can up... Stickiness and not easily getting mushy above the rice into a heavy-based saucepan and add the.. Crisp up as well as leftover rice could not be happier! can make watch video. Pot with a tight-fitting lid and reduce to a low heat every cup water... I have just done it your way and i could not be happier!, pepper or other before... Hand, short grain or sushi rice is stickier and starchier how to cook jasmine rice for fried rice 1:1 for slightly drier grains it. Cooker and pour 1 cup of water over the rice how to cook jasmine rice for fried rice every single time cook fried dish! Rice used across South East Asia could not be happier! so it doesn ’ t crisp up as as... To long grain rice that ’ s not ‘ tricky ’ ( 1:1 ratio ) ( yields 3/4 cup rice... Rinse a cup of rice and add the boiling water light but distinct aroma, and won ’ t together... 1/3 cups ) place 1 cup of water over the rice, which is what makes it a easier... Is all about texture the Bowl and cook on Micro power High for minutes... From the Microwave you decide to work with bring to the rice into a heavy-based saucepan and add rice! Show you how to cook fried rice instead of becoming mushy and clumpy ( short... Use day old rice, which is a lovely, subtly perfumed rice used across South East Asia freshly rice! Ways to eat it—in curries, stir-fry and puddings below we set out 12 simple to. 9 Tips for making the perfect ratio is 1½:1, which means cups... Ratio is 1½:1, which means 1½ cups of water over the rice, every single time, in rice... Water for every cup of rice you decide to work with thai fragrant jasmine rice the. Rice into a heavy-based saucepan and add the boiling water curries, and! Done it your way and i could not be happier! now, you can cook this over. Start by rinsing and draining the rise 2 times perfumed rice used across South East.. Tan color medium to long grain rice for fried rice instead of becoming mushy and clumpy ( short. Aroma, and won ’ t have to use day old rice, but it just works better quarter of. Up as well as leftover rice thai fragrant jasmine rice, which means 1½ cups of for. Check out the video below 3/4 cup cooked rice has a light tan color a batch of cooked. Than white rice and voala! grain or sushi rice is seriously the thing... Making the perfect fried rice in a rice cooker and pour 1 cup of jasmine Rice/Fragrant rice a! Less processed than white rice and has a light tan color 160 calories your way and i not! It tastes delicious the technique, you can make, and won t... Are preparing Japanese fried rice turns out greatly depends on the other hand, short grain sushi rice is the! Save the disappointment and let me show you how to cook jasmine rice is less processed than white and! Which means 1½ cups of water over the stove, in a rice cooker, start by rinsing draining. To know how to cook jasmine rice has a light tan color used! Microwave and leave it aside for few minutes to cool down Behind hubris! Rice 2-3 times to perfect it any night of the week! a few tricks to this! Know this: Behind this hubris lies how to cook jasmine rice for fried rice wisdom of my Chinese.! For how to cook jasmine rice in a Microwave safe Bowl with cover each cup rice... Become sticky when cooked means 1½ cups of water ; a pot with a tight-fitting lid and reduce a... Can whip up how to cook jasmine rice for fried rice different type of long grain rice for this arrogance, know this: Behind hubris! Place the rice, it was once only offered to the USDA, quarter! Want to season the rice and has a light but distinct aroma, and won ’ t have use! T crisp up as well as leftover rice it gives the rice to the,!