Slowly bring together the flour mixture and add in the vegetable oil. Home » Dumplings & Bread » Steamed bao. Have a look at my video in the recipe card to see the desire the dough texture. You should come over and we shoot together (and eat of course)! I like the recipes, they tasted all authentuc and I like the pics and videos. This dough is about as easy as yeast doughs get. May I know whether it works when steaming the baos in 2 tiers at once? Dump the dough out onto a counter top and knead together for about 15 minutes until smooth. You seem to do it so effortlessly on the video, but it took me a while to make them look remotely like yours (not surprising!) Sift before using. Mix flour, yeast, sugar and oil in a bowl. Briefly stir fry carrot and onion in a little oil. The roughness of the surface can also be caused by uneven air pockets in the dough. Nearest tubeCharing Cross / Covent Garden, Sign up to our newsletter where we share our totally wokking news, tips, and tricks of the trade. This guide offers tips and tricks to ensure a fail-proof experience. Viele Grüße sendet dir, Alternatively, you can use the dough I introduced in my post “Mantou, Chinese steamed buns” . Perform a stretch and fold and return dough to the bowl. But I think it could be that you didn’t seal the buns very well (no matter what shape). This does not prevent collapsing at all. Sorry if I’m being a bit stupid, but can I just check that apart from the carrot and onion the rest of the filling (mince) is raw when you put it in the dough and it just cooks in the steamer? Hi Wei, Would I potentially need to add more or less water for a lower gluten flour? Obviously she has much less strength and skill in kneading. All Turn the heat down to medium-low when the water starts boiling. Hi Thank you so much for your compliment (I don’t understand German but thankfully it’s easy to translate your words online). I hope my post has made you feel more confident in cooking bao buns in your own kitchen. Is it a texture thing? 6. The dough will be slightly sticky. I have found that White Lily has a really good gluten level for Bao but its difficult to get in some states and especially difficult in the North East. Yes you can leave the dough in the fridge overnight for the first proofing. For example, near a radiator or a preheated oven. Adjust if necessary. You can find self-rising flour just about anywhere. Your email address will not be published. The most common problem is that the wrappers collapse/wrinkle/harden after steaming. Make the dough & first rise: Place the flour, yeast, sugar and salt in a large bowl. I want to make a bit more than in the recipe, and I was wondering if 2 level bamboo steamer is ok so the buns would cook simultaneously. So happy to hear that my post has helped you. They tasted very delicious.. 1. Active dry or instant dry? Set up your steamer to a boil and steam the baos for 30 minutes or until the meatball is cooked. Place some filling in the middle of a wrapper then fold into a bao shape. Could you please explain more? My bamboo steamer is about 26cm in diameter and it has three layers. My answer to this FAQ is all types of wheat flour works (regardless of the gluten level). Thank you so much! I follow exactly your steps . Thank you Mary for trying out my recipe! 3. Knead for 10 minutes or so on a low speed. Yes, you can use the same dough. You don’t need to add any cornstarch. — Knead the dough a little more then leave it to rest for a few minutes and try again. Another issue I have when I steam two tier of bao the first one is bigger since it was resting longer. I have prepared this buns. I always immediately remove the lid after I turn off the heat (as my parents and restaurant chefs do), my bao buns don’t change their look if the dough has been prepared properly. Glad to know you find my recipe helpful. Instant yeast can be mixed directly with dry ingredients. The well-kneaded dough will create even air bubbles inside the dough and therefore lead to a smoother appearance after steaming. Thank you for sharing your filling mix idea! I have to work on form them, made them too thick with not enough filling, but they are so good, that even my cat ate a little bit! The edge of the wrapper was wet by the filling. Popular as street food and an everyday family dish in China, steamed bao buns (Baozi, 包子) is one of the foods I really enjoy cooking. … Place the filled bao … Does the baking powder affect the dough if it’s left too long? To fill the bao, gently roll out each ball into a disk about 4 inches in diameter. After resting, remove the dough from the bowl, add the lime juice, and knead it to remove bubbles. 2. Other readers would appreciate it. Jesse-Gabriel aus Berlin. As stated at the very end of the recipe card, 444 calories is for 3 buns (one serving). Leave to defrost in the fridge then steam for 8 minutes to warm up, or steam for 15 minutes without defrosting. Place the buns (with parchment paper underneath each one) in the steamer basket (see note 5). We kneaded two identical pieces of dough then rested and steamed them in the exact same way. Happy steaming! (first time using this kind of steamer). .embed-container { position: relative; padding-bottom: 56.25%; height: 0; overflow: hidden; max-width: 100%; } .embed-container iframe, .embed-container object, .embed-container embed { position: absolute; top: 0; left: 5%; width: 90%; height: 90%; }. Can anyone tell me why a lot of bao recipes use a combination of yeast and baking powder? You might have to adjust the water needed as the amount suggested in the recipe is for all purpose flour. Instructions. Whenever I roll out my dough it doesn’t seem to keep its shape and shrinks, making it difficult for me to pleat the dough and close the bun. That’s great news to hear! 4. This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. For me, the best practice is to initially combine the dough in the stand mixer for 5 minutes or so, then knead with hands to finish. Bao! Yes Apart from the carrot and onion, all other ingredients are raw before you put them into the wrapper. I just did a batch, total amount of water I put is 160ml, but if my pou can be fluffier is better, can you please advice should I add more water or reduce next time ? Then slowly pour the liquid into the mixer while kneading on a low speed for around 2 … Vietnamese Steamed Pork Buns (Banh Bao) before steaming. I’ve done a test with my six-year-old daughter. Everyone loves a bao bun with smooth, even skin. The difference is that active dry yeast needs to be dissolved in water then mix with flour, etc. Both are very common and work perfectly fine. Hi, will this work if I use flour with 4g of protein? The inconsistency of the cooked wrappers used to drive me mad too. Your email address will not be published. or 4g in 30g flour? I found your blog, this recpie and I made them tonight. It’s absolutely fine to stack up 2-3 bamboo baskets and steam them all at once. They are not difficult to make but it can be very tricky to get them right, especially when it comes to making a nice wrapper which rises properly, has a smooth look and a soft, fluffy texture. It’s the type I use most frequently for bao buns. Sorry I have no idea how to make it gluten-free. Another surprising finding was that extended kneading will lighten the colour of your dough. He used to eat them for breakfast. Many thanks. Two pairs of hands would definitely make the process faster. If you're craving dim sum buns, no need to go to the store, make them at home with this easy recipe! This brilliant bao dough recipe from Chef Jeremy Pang will teach you how to make the Asian street-food sensation of soft, fluffy steamed bao buns - from scratch! Make a well in the middle of the flour mixture and add the yeast, lukewarm water and vinegar or lemon juice, if using. 5. Fermentation takes place when you leave your yeast dough to rest. Then use flour which has a medium to low gluten level. They may mention using “Hong Kong” flour but they don’t say why. After the dough has risen and before shaping the buns, you need to knead the dough again until it returns to its original size and the smooth look. I usually use instant dry yeast. Enter your details today and get offers and updates direct to your inbox. I’m not sure what you mean exactly by “stay close”. You’re welcome Natalia! Combine and knead with your hands until a very smooth dough forms (see note 4). The finishes dough should be medium firm (check out the video to see the desired consistency). Note: Alternatively, steam the meatballs before wrapping and steam the whole bao for 10 minutes or until the Banh Bao dough is cooked. The flour & liquid (water + oil) ratio is 2:1 by weight . Knead on a lightly floured surface for 10-15 minutes until smooth, soft and elastic. And the adjustment usually is minor. Allow to stand for 30 … Homemade dumpling wrappers (Ultimate Dumpling Guide part 1), Steamed bao buns (baozi, 包子), a complete guide, Six dumpling sauces (Ultimate Dumpling Guide part 5), How to make great dumpling fillings (Ultimate Dumpling Guide part 2), Ten ways to fold dumplings (Ultimate Dumpling Guide part 3), Hand-pulled noodles (La Mian, 拉面), a foolproof recipe, Sheng Jian Bao: Pan-fried pork buns (生煎包), Tang Yuan, Chinese glutinous rice balls (汤圆). Yous cake flour is already very low in protein. To receive 10% off your first booking please quote, Copyright © 2020 School of Wok ltd. all rights reserved. Thank you Michael for your appreciation for my work. Very happy to know you enjoy my recipes. Happy to know my recipe worked well for you. This made a great BBQ pork Bao that the family loved. Put ‘The Dry Mix’ ingredients into the bowl of a free-standing mixer fitted with a dough hook attached (if available). Hi Maya! You are very welcome Jaime. Once the dough has been well kneaded, dust with 2 tablespoons of flour, scraping off any additional dough on the sides of the bowl. However the dough, as you instructed, did not work for me, maybe it was too soft and somehow the buns didn‘t stick together as they should (when folded ) I hope I will make it better, next time. If you use a metal steamer, you also can brush a thin layer of oil before placing the bao buns. THANKS FOR THE RECIPE . Hello, trying this recipe, but what kind of yeast? Thanks for subscribing! Only yummy culinary inspirations & No spam! Swirl constantly while gradually adding water/stock until no more liquid can be seen. Knead … And if not why dont you. Not ideal for steamed bao. Do you like them fluffy and less chewy? Great recipe, the explanations are very thorough and in depth, you have given a lot on information about the flour and dough that most didn’t. Divide the dough into 25g dough balls. I just have a question, I’ve purchased flour for steamed buns and the gluten content is 9.4%. The diversity and creativity of this giant citys culinary profile was quite impressive. So happy to hear that! • Roll up the dough into a log. Am I not letting the dough rest for long enough? Start cooking with cold water over a high heat. Place the dough in a greased bowl, cover with a damp tea-towel and put in a warm place to rise for about 3 … It may vary a little … Gather the edges of the dough and pinch together to form a pouch. Tasty, moist pork wrapped with half-soft, half-crispy dough, Shanghai pan-fried pork buns, traditionally served as breakfast, make a great party food. Regarding the folding problem, there are two possible causes: 1. I am going to be making some bao this weekend =). Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Many recipes suggest that you should wait for 5 minutes before you uncover the steamer. I believe many of you would hold your breath (or cross your finger) the moment you remove the steamer lid. You can either seal the buns completely or leave an opening in the middle as shown in the images. Check the nutrition label on your flour package. I also organize Culinary Tours of China for those who love to discover China first hand through delicious food. 5. Turn on your empty drier for 2 minutes then place the dough bowl inside (I learned this trick from. Before working on the dough again, bring it back to room temperature. Transfer to a large mixing bowl. Tomorrow I will dogg more on your blog. — Use flour which doesn’t have a very high protein content (under 11g per 100g flour). I’m excited to try these, but I need to buy a bamboo steamer first. Great instructions! Tasty, juicy filling with soft, fluffy wrappers, homemade bao buns are super comforting! Shape the dough into a rough ball, and then coat it lightly with 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil; put the dough back into the bowl and cover with a damp cloth to leave aside in a warm, preferably moist, draft-free location (such as inside a room temperature oven) for 1 – 1.5 hours. Thank you for trying out my recipe. I have made them twice, and even though they do not look exactly right, they are very tasty. Geniales Rezept wie alle deine Rezepte, so toll fotografiert ich liebe deinen Blog und deine Rezepte! Add in the flour and sugar. However, you may wish to choose a particular type of flour to achieve a certain look/texture. Please make sure you have read and accepted the Terms and Conditions. Thanks . Dissolve the yeast and sugar in the warmed milk. Leave 2cm space between the buns and the side of the steamer. My partner, who spent 4 months in Asia (Thailand and Vietnam) last year kept asking me for those buns. Dont know why after i stream it, the baozi all open up , it did mot shape like a baozi, but before I stream it it looks good. I’m trying to watch out for not gaining much weight during this tough time, therefore a question about the calories: 444 is for 1 bun right? If it has been kept in the fridge you need to leave it to come back to room temperature before working on it. Please do not use without permission. I’ve tried several brands of bao flour and I find them lacking in natural wheat flavour. Leave the dough to rise until its size doubles. My baozi tasted great, but I need to practice shaping them. Like many modern cities, Shanghai is full of wonderful choices when it comes to food. Place fillings in the middle and pleat the dough to seal. But active dry works perfectly too. Steaming time will vary between 8 – 15 minutes depending on the shape and size of your finished buns (the thinner the bun, the shorter the steaming time). Thanks for the recipe, Wei. I love that I got a look at the “behind the scenes” of this post! So if they’re stacked up, would they take as long to steam (and more importantly, together at the same pace?) Hi Aurora! Hi Kit! Hi I'm Wei, the recipe developer and photographer behind Red House Spice, a food blog sharing delicious Chinese recipes. Tasty filling with fluffy wrapper, homemade bao buns are super comforting! Divide it into 12 equal portions. Brief stir fry grated carrot and onion in oil until softened. Coarse sugar is too rough and will not produce a smooth texture as desired. Covering the lid with cloth should be enough to avoid water dripping. Why doesn’t the buns stay close while resting before steaming? Add the flour and oil and mix until dough forms. I use a towel on the lid to keep the water dripping but I still had problem with them. Assembling with extra hands will help a lot. Happy cooking! Add about 30 g of your filling of choice, and dab a bit of water around the edges of the dough. To make the dough, dissolve the sugar in the lukewarm water, stir in the yeast and set aside in a draught-free place for 10 minutes until it turns foamy. Then knead again to remove any bubbles trapped inside. Read More…. Your advice is very useful. I usually use three steamer baskets at once. A delicious feast! Mix using a Danish dough whisk or wooden spoon until the dough starts to form.