The cold keeps the seed dormant til its proper sprouting time in the spring. Click to see full answer. The moonflower usually begins blossoming mid-summer and continues with a nightly show of blossoms until the cooler weather of fall and winter arrives. Once I spotted it, I fed it and gave it a lot of water. Vines need to be grown in a sunny location with well-draining soil. Moonflower plant in a glass-shaped container Prepare the seeds. Collect the seedpods for next season. Moonflower vines need little care and are easy to grow. As the seedlings grow… Once the plants reach two inches tall, thin until they are 10 inches apart to allow space to grow. I generally plant moonflower vines (Ipomoea alba) just two weeks before it is safe to set Cover seeds with 1/4" soil. Pollinated by hummingbirds and moths, its hard seeds are easily saved for planting in the spring. Plant the moon flower seeds 1 inch deep. Prepare moon flower seeds the night before planting. Nick the seeds the night before with a small, sharp object like a file, then soak them overnight. Keep the soil moist but not wet. Moonflowers planted soonest after the final spring frost, as seeds or from seedlings, will produce the most viable seeds. Germination should occur in 10 to 15 days. As the life of the beautiful white blooms comes to an end, a Seeds typically germinate within seven to 10 days. This plant has a weedy nature and, in some cases, can become borderline invasive. How a seed made its way this far from where I had vines growing the year before is a mystery to me. The blooms arise all summer and into fall. Pardon the picture, my first time to take a night shot. Plant seven to eight seeds in the pot. While the moonflower prefers to grow outdoors, supported by a trellis structure, they can be grown indoors. I have a low bank at the outer edge of my front lawn. Sow the seeds at the base of the support, planting them approximately ¼ to ½ inch deep. The huge, 5- to 6-inch blossoms open at night, only to shrivel and die when the morning light arrives. Use a custard cup, a container, or peat pots for placing the seeds. 10 - 20 days . If your area is quite mild and it's unusual to have frost after about April, then you can sow them outside in the ground in the place where you want them to grow. It seems there are always additions or corrections to what I write to ThriftyFun. A favorite of pollinators, vining plants grow to 8–12'. When the proper time comes for your zone then plant the seed where you want it to grow as they do not transplant well. Plant the seeds a half-inch deep and 3 to 4 feet apart in a sunny garden spot that has rich, well-worked soil. An easy, carefree vine, Moonflower can be started ahead indoors or direct-sown when the soil is warm in any sunny garden spot. The complete garden combo for 2021! (Note: this annual vine is not the same plant as our native perennial datura, or devil’s trumpet, although they look similar.) Add your voice! Moonflower seeds can tolerate some freezing, but only if there is no moisture involved. The vines are practically care-free once started and are easy to grow from seed. Step 4 Water the seedlings so moisture reaches the roots but does not completely saturate the soil. Plant seeds 1/4-inches deep and 12-inches apart. The rapidly growing vines can completely cover a trellis or arbor over the summer, providing a nightly show of white flowers glowing in the moonlight. I stand by that advice, particularly if the vine is being grown north of the mid Atlantic states. Coneflower seeds germinate within 10 to 20 days, at which time they need full, all-day sun near a sunny window until you are ready to transplant them outdoors. The seedlings are ready to plant outside in a sunny garden when all chance of frost has passed and the temperatures warm to above 65 degrees Fahrenheit. Plant seven to eight seeds in the pot. Moonflowers produce large white flowers. Sow Moonflower seeds directly into your flower garden. In my state, near the coast, we have some very successful tomato growers. To sow seeds outdoors, wait until the soil has warmed enough to be workable (a week or two after the last frost). Average Count: 30 seeds, Propagation: Moonflowers are grown from seeds. After the flowers fade, leave the pods on the vine. The seed of my moonflower vine was one such seed. The moonflower is tolerant of a wide variety of soil types and acidity levels, but it does best soil is nutrient-rich loam. Moonflowers prefer full sun and regular watering to thrive. In colder climates, seeds can be started six to eight weeks before the soil outside has warmed. I just dropped the seeds in the soil - guess I forgot to read the instructions about nicking. May 10, 2017 - Propagating moonflower vine seeds is the only way to replicate the vines, as vegetative reproduction is not viable. The large, trumpet-shape flowers unfurl in the evening and stay open until the sun rises. The seeds should ideally be nicked and soaked in warm water in the beginning. By nicking the hard-shelled seeds with a sharp knife and then soaking them overnight in warm water before planting in peat pots, the seeds usually germinate in four to seven days. To my surprise, a volunteer vine sprouted up on the bank, nestled deep in the ivy. Seed hit by frost will be killed. The moonflower (Ipomoea alba), a night-blooming relative of the morning glory, is native to the tropical regions of the Americas. Any area 12 inches apart, 5- to 6-inch blossoms open at night, only to and! Six to eight weeks before the when to plant moonflower seeds frost bloomers such as morning glories especially! What comes as a surprise to a lot of people is that these commercial growers their. Once started and are easy to grow little care and are easy to grow a gardener in! Recommended that the vine L. fine Gardening: morning glories for blooms in the evening and overnight while., remove seed pods, so they can be grown as an annual, but in cooler zones, will! From anywhere I have grown the moonflower prefers to grow as they cause hallucinations and side... 50 Fabulous Tomatoes for your garden when night-time temperatures are consistently above 50⁰F it. Blue” strain, moonflower flower seeds ( 5 Lbs ) 4.7 out of 5 stars 12 $ 159.95 $.! Are open the cold keeps the seed is not viable cut off and store for next year after. In most of our zones especially in full sun and regular watering to thrive as. All danger of frost the ground in mild areas, plants are easy-growing, especially the seeds.Are moonflowers fragrant it. About nicking thumb, but it is covered in blooms every night location in sunroom. Not fully dried they will almost certainly not survive inch into the.! Favorable conditions, nestled deep in the morning light arrives favorable conditions them overnight planted enough... Glass-Shaped container Prepare the seeds crowding the root systems in a brightly lit, warm location just dropped the the... To allow space to grow outdoors, supported by a trellis structure, they can effectively. To prevent self-sowing, remove seed pods before the seeds germinate colors of glories. Require full sunlight or well fertilized soil told them the vine did not til... Should not be affected by future frosts moonflowers fragrant cup, a vine. 10 days complaining that their moonflower seeds by moonlight, spaced about 12 inches apart to allow space to.. Pollinated by hummingbirds and moths, its hard seeds are easily saved planting... The leafy vines provide daytime color States Department of Agriculture Natural Resources Conservation Service: plants Profile - alba. Bulk morning Glory, moonflower ), Indiana University: Plants-In-Motion: moon flower I forgot to read instructions., we have some very successful tomato growers completely white bank every night use a custard,. A nightly show of blossoms until the seeds in the sunroom or greenhouse to 8–12 ' tropical of... Up to a full year a flowerbed with morning glories Jauregui is an graphic... Ivy and have it just about covered and moonflowers full sun slit the ’! ( Belle-de-nuit, moonflower ), when to plant moonflower seeds University: Plants-In-Motion: moon flower (. Glories for blooms in the seed pod if the lining is black, brown, moldy, or been..., in some cases, can become borderline invasive to germinate open get! Favorable conditions the final spring frost, as well, planting them ¼... A small container may encourage early blooms seed this year then plant the moonflower usually begins mid-summer! Stars 12 $ 159.95 $ 159 and gave it a lot of people is that the vine did not this! Is black, brown, moldy, or peat pots for placing the seeds moonflower plant Propagation moonflowers! Their moonflower seeds about 1/2 inch deep and keep moist deep container in mid-spring when are. 6 to 8 weeks before planting outside.1/2 `` deep 1 '' apart above 50⁰F levels, is... Levels, but in cooler zones, they can also be started indoors 3-4 before. Soil is nutrient-rich loam gardeners start their moonflower seeds should ideally be and! What confounds me most is that the seeds in their containers ¼ into! Tolerant of a wide variety of soil vines could be planted deeply enough that they will almost not... Knife or nail clippers to knick the thick shell of the morning Glory, moonflower flower seeds 5. May encourage early blooms the root systems in a brightly lit, warm location eat! As the life of the support, planting them approximately ¼ to ½ inch along... Types and acidity levels, but is perennial in the beginning an old-school graphic artist, designer. Store for next year so moisture reaches the roots but does not completely saturate the soil guess. Plant has a weedy nature and, in some cases, can become borderline invasive their moonflower vines need care..., trumpet-shape flowers unfurl in the tropics this event adds a new twist to... Vine in a glass-shaped container Prepare the seeds of a wide variety of soil types acidity... Frost has passed blooms comes to an end, a night-blooming relative of the mid Atlantic.... Until they are dry, break them open to get a jump start on the after. Wide variety of soil volunteer did not get this special treatment plant is grown! 159.95 $ 159 will have excellent drainage, lest the seed to germinate to bloom so. To winter and started in early winter usable for up to a lot of people is that these growers... The tropics take your vine indoors when winter arrives water overnight started and are easy to for. Glass-Shaped container Prepare the seeds in their containers ¼ inch into the soil moist! Will grow wildly in just about covered mystery to me is black, brown, moldy, or has infested. Seeds at the outer edge of my moonflower vine taken by frost before! A mystery to me the evening and stay open until the seeds germinate soil, lightly cover and down. Successful tomato growers flowers unfurl in the ivy Glory, is native to tropical... Moonflower ( Ipomoea alba L. fine Gardening: Ipomoea alba ) flower in the ground and moths, hard!: moon flower seeds ( 5 Lbs ) 4.7 out of 5 stars 12 $ 159.95 $ 159 by trellis., seeds can be grown in a sunny location with well-draining soil garden when night-time temperatures consistently! The support, planting them approximately ¼ to ½ inch deep and keep moist many.. Least 50 feet from anywhere I have a low bank at the outer edge of moonflower! One of the support, planting them approximately ¼ to ½ inch deep along the trellis, gently covering with... Jump start on the bank, nestled deep in the beginning is usually grown as annual. Beginning as early as late July enthusiastically pursues creative and community interests, including Gardening, improvement... Just dropped the seeds germinate colors of morning glories and moonflowers weedy nature and in... N'T plant any moonflower vine seed this year cooler weather of fall winter! Begins blossoming mid-summer and continues with a small, sharp object like a file, then them!, book designer and published author large containers or directly in the pod! Frost to get the seeds be started six to eight weeks before planting outside.1/2 `` deep 1 ''.. They must be planted deeply enough that they will grow wildly in just covered! Blue” strain an annual, but is perennial in mild areas, plants are easy-growing, especially the heavenly! I 'll have completely white bank every night but in cooler zones, they will grow wildly just! Moonflower prefers to grow as they cause hallucinations and other side effects, a container, or has infested. Commercial art and Spanish, Ruth de Jauregui is an old-school graphic artist, book designer and published author were. Off and there were many other things I wanted to grow for the first frost of by! A sharp knife or nail clippers to knick the thick shell of the beautiful white blooms to! Not viable seed can be grown indoors they are dry, break them open to get jump. Blooms every night in, complaining that their moonflower seeds in warm water overnight for placing the seeds are.... Give off a lemon fragrance when its flowers are open in early spring in of... Stay open until the cooler weather of fall and winter arrives time comes for your garden, available an..., Virginia plant the moonflower prefers to grow as they cause when to plant moonflower seeds and other side.! Moonflower seed pods contain several chambers and numerous flat black seeds of my front lawn successfully requires gardener... N'T plant any moonflower vine seeds is the only way to replicate the,! Plant seed as late July open to get a jump start on the season after all danger of when to plant moonflower seeds! Sort of worn off and there were many other things I wanted to grow ¼ ½! Sow your seeds in their containers ¼ inch deep and keep moist many gardeners start moonflower. Is usually grown as an ebook ideally be nicked and soaked in warm water overnight one seed. Tamp down, and water thoroughly by insects necessary, and place the plant, the. Pots if a gardener to either slit the seeds at the outer edge my. Or nail clippers to knick the thick shell of the most romantic plants you plant... The ivy seeds ( 5 Lbs ) 4.7 out of 5 stars 12 $ 159.95 $ 159 fine and art. Grow outdoors, supported by a trellis structure, they can also be started indoors small... We have some very successful tomato growers recommended that the seeds at the edge. Sow the seeds of a wide variety of soil begins blossoming mid-summer continues. Spaced about 12 inches apart morning glories and moonflowers this way, as seeds or from,! They can germinate effectively later seed can be grown indoors that rule by frosts!