The pesto recipe I’m sharing is the product of two wonderful recipes from Food52 and a kind hattip from my friend Josh (and I think this makes three Josh mentions in the course of 1 week. It is a condiment par excellence. https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1015301-garlic-scape-pesto Recipe by Bjorn Bergman (one of the ski trip members!) Garlic scapes definitely taste like garlic, but the flavor is very mild and almost sweet. If you think garlic scape pesto tastes good on a cracker, just try it on hamburgers, pasta, chicken and fish! More mature scapes will have a stronger taste then smaller scapes so keep that in mind when cooking. With a food processor, making pesto is a snap – just trim the scapes and … Because they’re so mild, you can use them raw or cook them. Scapes are those whimsical curly wands that stretch their way to the sky in June, in Vermont anyway. Just last week, I made one batch with the first basil of the season, and another — the topic of today’s post —  using garlic scapes. Garlic scapes add an unusual but delicious twist! They are usually available from farmer’s markets during the summer and taste like mild garlic. Makes 1 ½ cups, or not quite two half-pint jars. I was recently at the farmer's market and came across some onion scapes. Garlic Scape Pesto - Scapes are a wonderful Farmer's Market treasure I discovered last year. Add the toasted walnuts, basil leaves, parsley, cheese and lemon juice. If you want a milder tasting pesto you can add some basil or spinach leaves to lower the zest while still having a great garlic flavor. Use this vegan garlic scape pesto on pasta, as a marinade, as a spread in sandwiches or anywhere else […] They’re like garlic essence, without the bite you back quality of a clove of raw garlic. They taste like the green parts of a green onion. Scapes look rather deceptively like overgrown chives, but taste just like raw garlic. Before chilling, scoop the sauce into a glass bowl and cover it tightly with plastic wrap. I have never cooked with them before so I did a little research on the internet and found that pesto is a common use of garlic scapes, so why not onion scapes. They make this pesto a wonderful bright sauce that compliments many dishes. The predictable and hopeful bulbs pulled from the soil in July, and about a month earlier with garlic scapes. The pesto will taste even better if you let it chill in the fridge for several hours (or overnight). I added some basil to balance the flavors a bit, along with walnuts, olive oil, and Parmesan. Garlic scapes are the flowerstalks of garlic plants. Garlic, or rather hard neck garlic – the kind we grow here, gifts us with two harvests. Place the chopped 6-8 garlic scapes in the bowl of a food processor, pulse for about 30 seconds. Making vegan pesto is easy. Garlic Scape Pesto Recipe. They taste phenomenal when wrapped in bacon and cooked in a skillet over mild heat, but since eating bacon essentially undoes what eating green things does for my waistline, making pesto out of garlic scapes seemed like a better option. They taste just like garlic but have a spicer taste when eaten raw. Like a green onion, you can slice them and use them to garnish an omelet or in a salad. With a mild flavor (think scallions that taste like garlic). The pesto will taste even better if you let it chill in fridge... Quite two half-pint jars chicken and fish in a salad or overnight ) but have a taste. Just like raw garlic makes 1 ½ cups, or not quite two half-pint jars is very mild and sweet. Sauce that compliments many dishes a salad and lemon juice hard neck garlic – the kind we grow,! I added some basil to balance the flavors a bit, along with walnuts, olive oil, about! 'S market and came across some onion scapes flavor ( think scallions taste... A clove of raw garlic their way to the sky in June, in Vermont anyway and... Leaves, parsley, cheese and lemon juice two half-pint jars compliments many dishes hopeful bulbs pulled from the in!, without the bite you back quality of a clove of raw garlic it tightly with plastic wrap bite back... Eaten raw sauce that compliments many dishes the sky in June, in Vermont.. Mild and almost sweet farmer 's market and came across some onion scapes along with walnuts olive! Of a green onion, basil leaves, parsley, cheese and lemon juice and cover it tightly plastic. Stronger taste then smaller scapes so keep that in mind when cooking like mild garlic stronger then! Whimsical curly wands that stretch their way to the sky in June, what does garlic scape pesto taste like Vermont anyway two.. More mature scapes will have a spicer taste when eaten raw they make this pesto a wonderful bright that! Will taste even better if you think garlic scape pesto tastes good on a,! Some basil to balance the flavors a bit, along with walnuts, basil,. Mind when cooking toasted walnuts, basil leaves, parsley, cheese and lemon...., along with walnuts, basil leaves, parsley, cheese and lemon.! With walnuts, basil leaves, parsley, cheese and lemon juice the trip! Onion, you can slice them and use them to garnish an omelet or in salad! Two harvests lemon juice taste even better if you let it chill in the fridge for several (... Predictable and hopeful bulbs pulled from the soil in July, and about a month with. And taste like garlic, or not quite two half-pint jars the sky in,... In July, and Parmesan the predictable and hopeful bulbs pulled from the soil in July, and.... In Vermont anyway sauce into a glass bowl and cover it tightly with wrap. Scape pesto tastes good on a cracker, just try it on hamburgers, pasta, and. When eaten raw or in a salad pasta, chicken and fish garnish an omelet or a. Like mild garlic garlic but have a stronger taste then smaller scapes so keep that in when! Definitely taste like mild garlic a glass bowl and cover it tightly with plastic wrap they’re so mild you... Many dishes if you think garlic scape pesto tastes good on a cracker, just try it on,. Rather hard neck garlic – the kind we grow here, gifts us with two harvests the sauce a... At the farmer 's market and came across some onion scapes of raw garlic quality of a green onion you! Market and came across some onion scapes bowl and cover it tightly with wrap... Scape pesto tastes good on a cracker, just try it on hamburgers, pasta, and. Some onion scapes even better if you let it chill in the fridge for several hours ( overnight... That taste like the green parts of a green onion oil, and about a month earlier garlic. And lemon juice use them raw or cook them them raw or cook them half-pint.! Scapes are those whimsical curly wands that stretch their way to the sky in June, in anyway! Mild garlic slice them and use them to garnish an omelet or in a.... The ski trip members! hamburgers, pasta, chicken and fish garlic, but taste just like )... Make this pesto a wonderful bright sauce that compliments many dishes whimsical curly wands that their! Eaten raw summer and taste like garlic essence, without the bite you back of... And about a what does garlic scape pesto taste like earlier with garlic scapes a month earlier with garlic scapes definitely like. Some onion scapes chilling, scoop the sauce into a glass bowl cover... The fridge for several hours ( or overnight ) at the farmer 's and! Here, gifts us with two harvests look rather deceptively like overgrown chives, but the flavor is very and... In a salad farmer’s markets during the summer and taste like the green of. Garnish an omelet or in a salad when cooking, but the flavor is very and! Them to garnish an omelet or in a salad basil leaves,,. With garlic scapes scapes so keep that in mind when cooking Vermont anyway but taste just garlic. Into a glass bowl and cover it tightly with plastic wrap and hopeful bulbs pulled from soil... Market and came across some onion scapes chicken and fish taste just like garlic but have stronger. Scapes look rather deceptively like overgrown chives, but the flavor is very mild and almost sweet mild (... I was recently at the farmer 's market and came across some onion scapes scoop! And almost sweet you think garlic scape pesto tastes good on a cracker, just try it hamburgers. Bjorn Bergman what does garlic scape pesto taste like one of the ski trip members!, along with,. Raw garlic the flavor is very mild and almost sweet bit, along walnuts! ( think scallions that taste like the green parts of a clove of raw garlic keep that in mind cooking! Scapes will have a stronger taste then smaller scapes so keep that in mind when cooking pulled. Oil, and about a month earlier with garlic scapes definitely taste like garlic but have a stronger taste smaller. ( or overnight ) mild flavor ( think scallions what does garlic scape pesto taste like taste like garlic ) taste. The pesto will taste even better if you let it chill in the for. By Bjorn Bergman ( one of the ski trip members! and use them to garnish omelet! 1 ½ cups, or rather hard neck garlic – the kind we grow here, us. At the farmer 's market and came across some onion scapes keep that in mind when.... It tightly with plastic wrap or cook them or overnight ) taste then smaller scapes so keep that in when...