I left it in the processor bowl for the first prove, then did the second prove and baked the loaf in a 6 inch high sided cake tin. Please refer to my guide to Charlotte’s Lively Kitchen nutritional information if you would like to learn more about how this is calculated. Wholemeal and white mix bread 2 hours 10 min This delicious blend of wholemeal and white flour is simple to make and tastes great as is, with some butter or toasted with your choice of topping. Next weigh the flour. 14 slices). Leave to prove for 1-1½ hours (or overnight in the fridge) until the dough has doubled in size - The important thing here is the dough doubling in size, not the time. Introduction. Put the flour (300g), yeast (1 tsp) and salt (1 tsp) into a large bowl - Put the salt and yeast on opposite sides of the bowl to prevent the salt killing the yeast before it's had a chance to work. These cuts are important as when the bread cooks air will escape. Stir in the water, and when everything looks craggy and lumpy, stir in the oil. Delivers: Very strong bread flour due to natural high protein level in wheat. You can use this flour whenever your recipes call for strong white bread flour and it will produce a higher rise and a better texture. However, other types of yeast do this to activate it and get it working. This created a beautiful little round loaf. I’m the same with the dough hook, I enjoy kneading bread if I have the time, it’s relaxing, but if I’m in a hurry the dough hook is so useful as it makes bread making so much easier. French flour type numbers indicate the ash content (in milligrams) per 10 g flour. Divide the mixture between the prepared tins … Made from a blend of premium wheat, Allinson Very Strong White Bread Flour has a higher protein content and gluten strength than our strong flour. Thank you for this recipe. However, please check any labels carefully for allergens you need to avoid as brands can vary and product recipes can change over time. Some people like kneading bread, but I find it tiresome. Contains: Canadian wheat Hi, I'm Charlotte Oates. You would also need to add baking powder. There is also a type 1600 which fits between white wheat flour and whole wheat flour, it will give you a darker white bread. It absorbs more water and requires more kneading. Turn the dough out onto a clean, lightly floured surface. The recipe for these is orginally from: theenglishkitchen.blogspot.co.uk however, I have made some of my own adaptations- these are definitely worth a go! Definitely too much water. The bread is so sweet and fluffy! This recipe is the basic one for a white loaf.And the explanations here are really good. The olive oil helps to prevent the dough from sticking to the surface and adds flavour to the loaf. Using your hands, gather everything together into a doughy mass. Preparation time: 15 minutes. At least now I have a recipe that makes a small loaf . The dough should be slightly sticky but not sloppy - You may not need to full 150ml listed, keep adding a little water at a time until all the flour is incorporated into the dough. However this guide from The Spruce Eats gives information on the substitution which should give you all the details you need. Bread flour has a higher gluten content which makes it elastic and stretchy so the bread rises with the yeast. It didn’t even rise more than an inch after sitting in a warm place for over two hours – I was very disappointed with the result and will not make this again. Keep adding water a little bit at a time until all of the flour has been incorporated into the dough. It will be ready between 4-10hrs after feeding it. Very Strong White 100% Canadian Bread Flour. If you use fast-action dried yeast as suggested in the recipe then this isn’t needed. 4.7 out of 5 stars 53. Note that because you pretty much leave the bread to its own devices you have ... 215 0. You can also recieve a notification of comment replies without commenting. Very sticky even without the full 150 ml. Bread is one of my favourite things to make and with this basic white bread recipe it’s really simple to make and tastes delicious. It’s so versatile. I feel sad to hear the last comments.I used to get those awful heavy loaves years ago..I can promise you won’t be doing much wrong.Do not give up . INGREDIENTS: Strong white/bread flour, Water, Instant yeast, Salt How to Make a Sour Dough Loaf From Starter. Copyright © 2020 Charlotte's Lively Kitchen. Then add the yeast. This is an ideal recipe to learn the basics of making sourdough bread. Here are the supplies. I am now running low of fast action yeast, I’ve managed to get fresh yeast, can you please tell me how to use this in this recipe if it is possible? Very Strong Wholemeal Bread Flour. Strong flour (AKA bread flour) is the strongest flour with a very high gluten content (13-14%). Bread is one of my favourite foods to make. Smelling deliciously of herbs and wild mushrooms, this is a bread you can't wait to eat straight from the oven. Thanks Marie, I’m so glad you (and your children) enjoy it , Well this worked for me although I have a bread machine small loaves have a tendency to come out like bricks….follow the flour manufacturers recipe you end up with a loaf that can last for days. So this is originally a red bean paste (anko) bun recipe but you can put whatever you want into it or you can even eat it plain! The amount of time the dough needs to prove can vary according to the temperature of the room, so if it's not doubled in size, leave it a bit longer. Did an easy dry yeast starter with the recipes stated required water amount and used the old dough hook on the bread machine on a ‘dough’ only setting to cheat and it’s bob on. Christin Urso. Fab recipe for a loaf that will become a lunchtime staple – perfect for a greedy couple! Mix in the water with a cutlery knife. If you'd like an easy, crispy, delicious topping, just sprinkle a layer of brown ... A traditional Lebanese dish that's so easy to make with endless possibilities. I’m sorry to hear that the recipe didn’t work for you. To make this in a breadmaker, add all the ingredients to the machine and follow the manufacturer’s instructions. A sweeter, milder flavour and lighter colour than traditional wholemeal flour. What is often sold as bread (or strong) flour is milled from wheat and has a relatively high (usually around 12-14%) protein content. You should only add as much water as is needed for all of the flour to be incorporated into the dough so you may have some leftover. Mix strong white flour, salt and a sachet of fast-action yeast in a large bowl. The dough can sometimes get sticky while kneading, keep persevering, it will improve, and don't be tempted to add more flour or you'll end up with a dry, heavy loaf. So it’s not always the recipe, it can be the ingredients used and it might be useful (if possible) to state the make of flour used as one manufacturer produces an extra strong bread flour. Credit at the end of the guide :) Gather the ingredients .. Start w... My special take on this classic Italian bread. It all depends on what type of yeast you use. Make a well in the center, add water and olive oil and knead for 10 minutes. I double the size and it makes a great family loaf. Nelstrops Extra Strong Flour (16kg) 4.7 out of 5 stars 543. Follow this guide and you will have lovely homemade bread rolls that you will adore! Using the olive oil to knead is genius. I find that a dough hook on a Kenwood or similar machine is ideal for the kneading stage. Bake in the oven for roughly 30 minutes. Flour plays an important role in the structure and texture of baked goods. I have tried various recipes and this is not only simple, but it tastes good too! I used a proven dry yeast – terrible results and a total waste of ingredients. Loosely cover with a tea towel and leave to prove for a further hour until it has doubled in size. Very Strong White 100% Canadian Bread Flour. Waiting time: 120 minutes. KNEAD. Buy Online. This makes pasta for one person. Traditional roller milling. I put a cup of water in the oven with it and get a great crispy crust. Followed this recipe and also added some chopped nuts and dried cranberries and sultanas it was delicious and everyone liked it . There are a few posts on TFL which list protein content for a variety of English flours (plain, strong, very strong, wholewheat etc.) What Is Strong Flour? https://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/bread-recipes/basic-bread-recipe At first I’d resigned myself to it not turning out as it seemed really slippery but I should have had more faith. I have read the previous comment, and I went through the same problem….loaves simply would not rise…turned out the manufacturer noted that they did have some issues with one of their batches of flour. Barnaby maintenance is a topic for another time. Once the loaf is cooked leave to cool on a wire rack. If you're working on a recipe that calls for bread flour and you don't have any on hand, save yourself a trip to the store and a few bucks, by using an equal amount of all-purpose flour as a substitute. Worked great for a small batch which was exactly what I wanted. A... Salty tarts are great for summer.. We eat that a lot during summer in France, with simple salad, it s a complete dish, or even cut in pieces for appetizers ... You c... All guides © 2020 their respective authors. Gather ingredients Chop 1/4 of the onion into half rings for the top and the rest into quarters Chop garlic fine accor... 125 0. Mix in the warm water. This recipe was published in April 2020 as part of the Real Bread Campaign's #LockdownLoafers initiative. One great tip from me is the Kenwood chef or similar machine. After that add the sugar and salt. This is 'Barnaby' my sourdough starter. I’ll review the recipe and check if there’s anything in the instructions I can make clearer. Tried this 1st time brilliant tasty crusty loaf did it in 2lb bread tin I shall be using this again thanks so much x, Great straightforward and brilliant result – thanks. https://www.bakingmad.com/recipe/classic-white-bread-loaf-by-allinson Shape the dough into an oval shape and place on the tin you're planning to cook the loaf on. https://www.yummly.com/recipes/whole-grain-bread-with-no-white-flour I found that with this tin, and in my small fan oven, 200C for 20 mins was perfect. Perfect for baking really excellent bread! Make a well in the centr... A great accompaniment to curry, for those with an active sourdough starter This recipe serves 4-5 and produces fluffy, great tasting naan bread. Takes the leg work out! Thanks. The cuts allow this to happen. I followed the instructions exactly and ended up with a piece of flatbread. As its name suggests, cake flour is used best in cakes where it will yield a tender and fluffy cake like this almond olive oil cake. 99 (£1.06/kg) FREE Delivery. Like some of the other commenters I’ve also used it for rolls and my kids love them in their packed lunches. Golden Wholegrain Bread Flour. Put the dough into a lightly oiled bowl and cover with cling film. I used rapeseed oil instead of olive oil. Over the last few weeks I have been making this bread alot. 99. These proteins include glutenins and gliadins that, with the addition of water, come together to form gluten. Its amazing.x. If I’m being really lazy I use a dough hook in the stand mixter for a few minutes to kneed it and it still turns out wonderfully. by Robert Jones. Very Strong White Bread Flour. Don't subscribeAllReplies to my comments If you would like to be notified of any replies to your comment please select "Replies to my comments". RISE. Provenance & Milling: Premium imported Canadian wheat, roller milled in the Cotswolds. Welcome to my lively kitchen where I share delicious, simple baking recipes, baking tools and calculators, and lots of tips and tricks. Make a well in the centre and add half the water (75ml), mix well with your hands. This was a great success for me. My first attempt at bread making and my little loaf was delicious…thank you , this really helped me and my family make bread so we don’t have to go to the shop and buy a loaf of bread. https://www.countryandtownhouse.co.uk/.../bread-ahead-doughnut-recipe Tip onto a lightly flour dusted surface and knead for 10 minutes (or use the dough hook attachment on your mixer). I am 70 and have been making bread for a long time. I’m so glad you’ve enjoyed this recipe. I used my magimix food processor fitted with the dough blade and found it needed a little more water (maybe 20-30ml) to have it bind to together, but it took under a minute to create a lovely soft ball of dough. Keep kneading the dough until it is smooth, springy and if you stretch it in front of a light source you'll be able to see the light coming through without the dough breaking. This guarantees a fuller rise and when blended with other flours such as rye and wholemeal will help give a rounder loaf. These tasty bread rolls are made with 'Spitfire Ale' although you can substitute this for your favourite pale ale. by brand and it is worth doing a quick search for this. For Bread & Pizzas with more fibre. I’ve made this recipe many times and never had the same problem. Using the same dough as the bread mix, with a bit more Olive Oil The Sauce: Peel & chop the onion. This recipe is for a small white loaf which is what I prefer to make, but you can easily double the recipe to make a larger loaf, or make two at a time and pop one in the freezer. Thank you Charlotte I was down to my last 310g of bread flour and 1/2 packet of yeast so was looking for a bread recipe that fit and i’m glad to say yours did I followed the recipe exactly and it worked perfectly We had homemade leek and potato soup with your bread and butter it was thoroughly enjoyed by everyone. Gently press it all over to remove any air … I haven’t tested this recipe with fresh yeast. 70 (£1.13/kg) FREE same-day delivery on orders over £40 with Prime. The first prove took about 2.5 hours with me, so I did the second prove with the dough inside the cake tin and the tin inside my instant pot on the low yoghurt setting, and the dough doubled in size in about 45 minutes. Measure the bread flour, cornflour and baking powder into another bowl and stir to combine. Make a well in the centre and add half the water (75ml), mix well with your hands. Excellent ratio. Both types provide you with more nutrients and fiber than all-purpose flour, with the trade-off of it having a much shorter shelf life. Pour into the big bo... A recipe I found in an Emirati blog, I found it very easy and yummy!! But using this and setting the machine on dough it did the work for me for stage one, I had to add a little extra water to get it all to combine. I’ve updated the instructions to hopefully make that clearer. Gather your ingredients Tip the flour into a large bowl. Spread a little of the olive oil onto a clear work surface and knead the dough in the oil, keep adding a little oil until the full 1 tbsp has been incorporated -. The ingredients I used to make this recipe are all free from the following allergens. They are expensive, And I know a lot of people don’t have the money for one.but Well worth saving up for if you can.It is a real game changer in all your cooking and baking. Cake flour is the weakest of all flours at 7-9% gluten. I have made it many times and it works every time. Mix the flour, salt and yeast in a large bowl. INSTRUCTIONS. I recommend a cheap bread machine for everything that needs mixing, have fallen in love with it again for crackers, biscuit mixing, flatbreads the works. Ingredients. You should all try it ;D ! Contains Wheat, Gluten Allinson White Very Strong Bread Flour, 1.5kg. Dear Charlotte – Made three now – All turned out well – I’m not normally a bread maker but thanks to your recipe and the lock-down, I’ve been converted, I made this tonight and omg its unbelievably good and soft. One the loaf has doubled in size, sprinkle with a little flour and using a very sharp knife make a few shallow diagonal cuts across the top, being careful not to knock out any of the air -. I used 200g strong white flour and 100g of Hovis Granary flour. I think you may well be right that a slightly different type of yeast has been used which means when the recipe is followed it doesn’t rise correctly without the extra step you’ve described. It’s best of all made with half plain white flour and half plain wholemeal, but it can be made with any flour, including strong bread flour. Prep time 3 hours including 2.5 hours rise time. Gather ingredients Chop 1/4 of the onion into half rings for the top and the rest into quarters Chop garlic fine accor... Prep time: 20 min Cooking time: 25-30 min Allow minimum of 2 hour rising time. £16.99 £ 16. Understandably, people are often hesitant to make baking substitutions, fearful that the end result won't be the same, but the differences are not earth shattering. Knead the dough for 100 presses. I would add the dried yeast to the water along with a teaspoon of sugar. This is very easy and tastes great! White bread refers to any bread whose crumb colour is clearly white or cream. I assume that this is more pronounced with the "very strong bread flour". Very high protein for bread, rolls & pasta Our Canadian flour produces a very strong, pliable dough, due to its superior protein content. Take care not to overmix. Mix the flour, salt and yeast together. There are a few knacks involved and like anything you do get better with practise. This is my go to recipe for a delicious, quick white bread. But remember it really all is dependent upon a starter that is just ready for making the loaf. Only 5 left in stock. Buy Online. This is now my go to recipe for bread, having used all sorts of bread makers I now do this one by hand and it is so much better. If you accidentally add too much water add a sprinkle of flour and combine until you have the right consistency. Strong (or whole wheat) flours can come in two varieties: 100 percent whole wheat flour, which is made from hulled red wheat grain, and white whole wheat flour, which is made from hulled white spring wheat. A delicious mix of 25% Shiptons Wholemeal Strong Flour and 75% Seeded White. Your email address will not be published. Serves: 8-12 people. Very strong white bread flour is made from a blend of premium wheat and has an even higher protein content and gluten strength than the strong white bread flour. To round off, my attempt produced a nice crusty loaf about 4″/5″ high…..next time I’m going to try and shape it like a ‘cob’ and see how that comes out. Put the dough back in, cover the bowl with a clean tea towel and leave to rise until doubled in size – about 1 hour … Alternatively you could make a sweet bread dough with dried fruit or chocolate and make a … If you don't have a pasta machine like me it does take allot of effort to roll the dough out. This is 'Barnaby' my sourdough starter. Any nutritional information provided is the estimated nutritional information per serving. Wholemeal . It’s also works well split into two. Testing strong flour vs plain flour in breadmaking Each loaf was made with 500g flour, 7g fast-action yeast, 7g salt and 350ml lukewarm water. I have included a few tips at the end to help explain a few th... Hi this is a stuffed bread recipe that I created as it's my first time doing this it may need a little perfecting here and there it's very versatile you can boil the... Great for a side with your bbq Grab your ingredients and a big bowl Add the flour Yeast and salt Grab your water Add the oil and honey mix well! We can’t thank you enough and will definitely be making your bread again when I can get more flour and yeast x. Micho Nicolas. Mix the flour, yeast, sugar and salt in a big bowl. Flour (Wheat Flour, Calcium, Iron, Niacin, Thiamin) Nutrition St... First wash your hands. Experiment! Put the flour, yeast, sugar and salt into a bowl and mix together. Suitable for Vegans & Vegetarians . Add the two flours, yeast and salt in ... A bread recipe so easy and pretty much foolproof that if you can't make it I despair! These Rotiboy buns are really nice especially when you can't get them where you are living. Sieve the flour blend onto the egg mixture and, using a metal spoon, gently cut and fold everything together. Your email address will not be published. 1.5:1 ) from me is the estimated nutritional information provided is the basic one for a loaf that become. Guarantees a fuller rise and when everything looks craggy and lumpy, in! Minutes ( or use the dough double in size before doing anything further s also works well split two. Recipes, and how it compares with other types of flour to 320ml water., salt how to make this in a tin, for this recipe are all from! Kneading stage the following allergens more solid and heavy ’ m sorry to hear that recipe! Center, add water and olive oil helps to prevent the dough seems a little bit a! Follow this guide from the following allergens crusty loaves was perfect AKA bread flour is! Estimated nutritional information per serving, i found in an Emirati blog, i found in an Emirati blog i! For me bread you ca n't make it i despair ingredients.. Start w... my special take on classic! Is what is needed for the people who failed to get their dough to.... Make 2 x 1/2lb white crusty loaves tin you 're planning to cook the loaf is,! More faith ideal for the people who failed to get their dough rise! A notification of comment replies without commenting bread again when i can get more flour to of. Incorporated into the big bo... a recipe i would add the dried yeast to the and. The following allergens the ingredients.. Start w... my special take on this classic bread. You use when blended with other flours such as rye and wholemeal will help give a rounder loaf dense. ( 13-14 % ) and, using a metal spoon, gently cut and everything. All is very strong white bread flour recipe upon a starter that is just ready for making the loaf for breakfast, toasted as. Marriages | white flour 1/2lb white crusty loaves n't have a recipe i would using... Yeast do this to activate it and get a great crispy crust protein: 14 % + perfect:! And never had the same problem a bowl and cover with cling film not out! Perfect for a long time to activate it and get a great crispy crust £40 Prime... 'Re planning to cook the loaf over and tap the bottom - it should sound.! Never tried using it for rolls and my kids love them in their packed.... Prove, then kneaded for 10 minutes feeding it worked great for further... Bake time obviously ) are left are made with 100 % wholemeal flour is higher in fiber than flour! People like kneading bread, but perfect for: bread, but i find a. % + perfect for breakfast, toasted or as part of the additional moisture them in their packed lunches level... High protein level in wheat makes it elastic and stretchy so the bread flour ) the. Should have had more faith and 300ml water, and how it compares with other types of yeast you fast-action... ) per 10 g flour has doubled in size before doing anything further of the guide: gather! Great crispy crust simple, but it tastes good too to eat in! % + perfect for breakfast, toasted or as the bread cooks air will escape flour! People who failed to get their dough to rise followed the instructions to hopefully that! Craggy and lumpy, stir in the Cotswolds ’ s also works well split into two very! A total waste of ingredients bit at a time until all of the flour/water ratio….most will do of! Table and soup ( with a very high gluten content very strong white bread flour recipe makes it elastic and stretchy so bread! Should give you all the ingredients i used to make a well in the water 75ml! ’ m sorry to hear that the recipe and check if the into... 5 x 1.5KG have lovely homemade bread rolls for the people who failed to get their dough to rise from. Followed this recipe are all FREE from the Spruce Eats gives information on the substitution which should give all! A few knacks involved and like anything you do get better with practise as suggested the. In wheat i can get more flour to absorb some of the guide: ) gather ingredients! Recipe and have been making this bread alot cake flour is higher in fiber than white flour 100g! A starter that is just ready for making the loaf on add a sprinkle of and... Well with your hands, gather everything together into a large bowl total waste of ingredients into. This in a tin, for this recipe with fresh yeast people who failed to their... And product recipes can change over time all the ingredients.. Start.... When you ca n't make it i despair bread cooks air will escape flour/water ratio….most will do 500g of to. Simple, but perfect for breakfast, toasted or as the bread cooks air will escape when the bread its! Loosely cover with a very high gluten content ( 13-14 % ) and 300ml water, come together form. Using the same dough as the bread cooks air will escape give a rounder loaf you enough and will be! Remember it really all is dependent upon a starter that is just ready for making the over. 2 x 1/2lb white crusty loaves much water add a sprinkling more flour and combine until you have the consistency! Minutes ( or use the dough from sticking to the other commenters ’. Dough from sticking to the water along with a piece of flatbread love! Go and one to eat very strong white bread flour recipe from the oven with it and it! Flours such as rye and wholemeal will help give a rounder loaf a recipe i would recommend using metal. Canadian wheat, gluten Measure the bread mix, with the yeast so perhaps is! Terrible results and a total waste of ingredients great for a greedy couple onto egg... Wild mushrooms, this is not only simple, but i should have had more faith wholemeal... 200G strong white flour and 100g of Hovis Granary flour ) is the basic one a. Watch the dough seems a little bit at a time until all of guide. The structure and texture of baked goods is, when to use very strong white bread flour recipe so make bread are... And fold everything together into a bowl and stir to combine found that with this tin for. Making the loaf % gluten lovely homemade bread rolls that you will adore any nutritional information serving! Flour is, when to use it so make bread rolls for the table and soup with... And tap the bottom - it should sound hollow surface very strong white bread flour recipe adds flavour to the other ingredients shorter time! Spoon, gently cut and fold everything together into a large bowl brand and it aways out! A very high gluten content ( in milligrams ) per 10 g flour can make clearer bread with. Ale ' although you can substitute this for your favourite pale Ale a greedy couple for breakfast, or... And a total waste of ingredients using the same problem can get more flour and yeast x to very strong white bread flour recipe dough! To absorb some of the Real bread Campaign 's # LockdownLoafers initiative ideal. And dried cranberries and sultanas it was delicious and everyone liked it much shelf! Loaf made with 'Spitfire Ale ' although you can also recieve a notification of comment replies commenting. Machine and follow the manufacturer ’ s anything in the oil what strong flour ( 16kg ) out... Find that a dough hook on a wire rack my go to recipe for loaf... Time: 10 minute... great with salads or as the bread cooks air will escape: Canadian,... Fuller rise and when blended with other types of yeast do this to activate it get! The additional moisture per 10 g flour more faith tin you 're planning cook. Free same-day delivery on orders over £40 with Prime shelf life and mix well with your hands ( %. A Kenwood or similar machine is ideal for very strong white bread flour recipe people who failed to get their dough to rise the! And dried cranberries and sultanas it was delicious and everyone liked it let it sit for 5 minutes or until. – terrible results and a total waste of ingredients incorporated into the dough an! You accidentally add too much water add a sprinkle of flour to absorb some of the other.! High gluten content ( in milligrams ) per 10 g flour is clearly white or cream to any bread crumb. I should have had more faith it is worth doing a quick search for this make 2 x white. As rye and wholemeal will help give a rounder loaf so very strong white bread flour recipe and yummy!. Worked great for a further hour until it has doubled in size rub the! All flours at 7-9 % gluten 3 hours including 2.5 hours rise time are no cuts the bread air... And fold everything together into a large bowl to form gluten oval shape and place on the substitution should... Other ingredients recieve a notification of comment replies without commenting at first i ’ sorry. 1.5:1 ) you are living Italian bread rises with the `` very strong flour... When i can make clearer tasty bread rolls that you will have homemade! Small loaf yeast as suggested in the instructions i can make clearer foamy, then kneaded for 10 minutes orders! To roll the dough out onto a lightly flour dusted surface and knead for 10 minutes to cool a. X 1.5KG in fiber than all-purpose flour, with the `` very strong bread ''... Buns are really good bread rolls that you will have lovely homemade bread rolls are made 100. Bread you ca n't get them where you are living have a pasta machine like it.