For my cocktail, I am making a White Russian. He promised to love every person she had been. The race for Goodread’s favorite fiction pick, on the other hand, came close this year—as in, five votes close. First a quick word from the author. “Her death hit in waves. What series of events and experiences leads to this division and why? From the Jim Crow south to the wealthy environment of Brentwood, the story follows two twin sisters as they travel different paths. Start by marking “The Vanishing Half” as Want to Read: Error rating book. This book was just ok. "The Flatshare" was originally published in 2019, but it's trending once again, according to Goodreads. What was special was belonging with someone else.”, “This big ol' world and we only get to go through it once. This 2nd book, “The Vanishing Act” ... including The Traveling Friends Goodreads Reading Group! But unimportant men were killed to make the point that they were unimportant—that they were not even men—and the world continued on.”, “Your guilt can't do nothin for me, honey. “The Vanishing Half is an utterly mesmerising novel, which gripped me from the first word to the last. Synopsis. This "own voices" story includes how their decisions and actions affect the next generation. Born and raised in Southern California, Brit Bennett graduated from Stanford University and later earned her MFA in fiction at the University of Michigan, where she won a Hopwood Award in Graduate Short Fiction as well as the 2014 Hurston/Wright Award for College Writers. Her second novel The Vanishing Half was an instant #1 New York Times bestseller. made by suzy boots ... Goodreads' 200 Most Difficult Novels. Looking well beyond issues of race, The Vanishing Half considers the lasting influence of the past as it shapes a person's decisions, desires, and expectations, and explores some of the multiple reasons and realms in which people sometimes feel pulled to live as something other than their origins. however, this book deserves much of the hype it has received, and i think the complex look it provides at race, identity, and motherhood (among other things) while remaining very accessible is truly where it's at. It seduces with its literary flair, surprises with its breath-taking plot twists, delights with its psychological insights, and challenges us to consider the corrupting consequences of racism on different communities and individual lives. Just a moment while we sign you in to your Goodreads account. I can promise you this review is going to be kept very, very pretty. Thanks to the publisher and Edelweiss for an advance copy. So it wasn’t a surprise that when twin sisters Desiree and Stella Vignes run away at sixteen, that their futures would take them on journ. Bennett’s writing is lovely, making the read smooth and engaging. Unpopular opinion. The twins come from Mallard, Louisiana, where having light skin is greatly valued. A stunning new novel about twin sisters, inseparable as children, who ultimately choose to live in two very different worlds, one black and one white. Although inseparable as young girls, they part ways and their chosen lives take very different paths. From The New York Times-bestselling author of The Mothers, a stunning new novel about twin sisters, inseparable as children, who ultimately choose to live in two very different worlds, one … In the dark, everyone was the same color.”, “You could drown in two inches of water. Many years later, one sister lives with her black daughter in the same southern town she once tried to escape. The novel follows two identical twin sisters from a small Southern town. The Vanishing Half deserves the buzz! This and their upbringing in a small black community in Louisiana where people believe the lighter they are the better life will be. A GOOD MORNING AMERICA Book Club Pick! A light-skinned twin sister constructs a new identity as a white woman in … It deftly explores the dichotomies of twinship, passing and class in America * Irenosen Okojie * An impressive and arresting novel. Winner of Best Historical Fiction in the 2020 Goodreads Choice Awards. As with her New York Times-bestselling debut The Mothers, Brit Bennett offers an engrossing page-turner about family and relationships that is immersive and provocative, compassionate and wise. It is such an important insight to such an important series of topics and Bennett, as always, handles each with such care. Brit Bennett really out did herself with this one. Her essays have been featured in The New Yorker, the New York Times Magazine, The Paris Review, and Jezebel. She’d sobbed out of speeding tickets, flirted her way to endless second chances. There’s racism here, a violent incident against a man, witnessed by his young twin daughters, and more trauma for one of the girls than we want to imagine. The twins come from Mallard, Louisiana, where having light skin is greatly valued. It’s a poignant family story that doesn’t shy away from the intersections of race, class, and gender—all while capturing the reader’s heart and mind in a way only Bennett can.” —The Rumpus I’ve never read anything by Britt Bennett but this won’t be my last. Still, even separated by so many miles and just as many lies, the fates of the twins remain intertwined. The Vanishing Half is an utterly mesmerising novel. I think Reese was involved in the story to juxtapose Stella's desire to pass and lie about who she is in order to ensure her safety and freedom, while. Yet, I was still drawn to her and felt for her, trying to understand her more. What will happen to the next generation, when their own daughters' storylines intersect? *clears throat* *tries to summon some intellect* in a few sentences: brit bennett's intricate plot lines and ability to weave family dramas that stretch through years is definitely something to be admired. Finally, a follow-up to Bennett’s smashing debut. Not a flood, but water lapping steadily at her ankles. She is a National Book Foundation 5 Under 35 honoree, and her debut novel The Mothers was a New York Times bestseller. Her seco. The saddest thing there is, you ask me.”, “There were many ways to be alienated from someone, few to actually belong.”, “The only difference between lying and acting was whether your audience was in on it, but it was all a performance just the same.”, “When you married someone, you promised to love every person he would be. ‘The Vanishing Half’ Counts the Terrible Costs Of Bigotry And Secrecy. They have witnessed atrocities inflicted upon their father at a young age. I have no idea where to even begin with my review. The Vignes twin sisters will always be identical. Winner of Best Historical Fiction in the 2020 Goodreads Choice Awards The Vanishing Half by Brit Bennett features black twin sisters, whose skin is so light that they can pass for white. Jude avoided swimming in that river as a girl because she didn't want her skin exposed to the critical eyes of the Mallard residents. Brit Bennett achieved this with The Mothers too (which I also loved and is a MUST-read), but here the cast, … The story starts off with Desiree returning home to Mallard, Louisiana after running away at age 16 with her twin sister Stella. The Vanishing Half by Brit Bennett is easily one of the best reads of 2020. That was what had captured her in the charm shop, all those years ago. The Vanishing Half. But after growing up together in a small, southern black community and running away at age sixteen, it's not just the shape of their daily lives that is different as adults, it's everything: their families, their communities, their racial identities. You wouldn't mistake it for a stranger's house but you'd keeping banging your shins on the table corners.”, “A body could be labeled but a person couldn’t, and the difference between the two depended on that muscle in your chest. Announcing the winners of the 12th Annual Goodreads Choice Awards, the only major book awards decided by readers. She told her the truth, of course—that an assassination is when someone kills you to make a point. Read less. This was a buddy read with Angela and Diane — it made for interesting discussion and I suspect this one would be a great book club read. Refresh and try again. This is a June pick for many book clubs, including The Traveling Friends Goodreads Reading Group! Tags. The story then moves back and forth in time and from the different characters’ perspectives. Intricate prose. You can read more about this book at … House of Earth and Blood (Sarah Maas) 5. So it wasn’t a surprise that when twin sisters Desiree and Stella Vignes run away at sixteen, that their futures would take them on journeys seeking their identities. The Vanishing Half (Brit Bennett) 4. While it’s easy to connect with Desiree and the choices she makes, it’s not very easy to accept how Stella has chosen to live a lie and was most of the time unlikable. The Vanishing Half is a 2020 novel by Brit Bennett.It is her second novel and was published by Riverhead Books.It debuted at number one on The New York Times fiction best-seller list. Maybe grief was the same.”, “She hadn't realized how long it takes to become somebody else, or how lonely it can be living in a world not meant for you.”, “People thought that being one of a kind made you special. Stella and Desiree Vignes grow up identical and, as children, inseparable. His desire to be himself even though (especially given the time) it was so dangerous to be a Black transman. Four years later, her second, The Vanishing Half, more than lives up to her early promise. Not a flood, but water lapping steadily at her ankles. Goodreads helps you keep track of books you want to read. From there their lives will diverge and their relationship will never be the same. And Brit Bennett’s excellent bestselling novel The Vanishing Half, which examines the ills of white supremacy and features a trans supporting character, is performing very well, at 4.31 stars. . Welcome back. Mallard is a community of light-skinned colored people. HBO acquired the rights to develop a limited series with Bennett as executive producer. Congrats for its big win as the best historical fiction from Goodreads Choice Awards! She is a National Book Foundation 5 Under 35 honoree, and her debut novel The Mothers was a New York Times bestseller. Welcome back. This is a thought provoking story and a few scenes were not easy to read. Reese had also b. Jude avoided swimming in that river as a girl because she didn't want her skin exposed to the critical eyes of the Mallard residents. I was constantly reminded of the golden oldie movie, This is a thought provoking story and a few scenes were not easy to read. I enjoyed reading about these women and also adored the male side characters (Reese makes me so soft!) Her whole life, a bounty of gifts she hadn’t deserved.”, “You could convince anyone you belonged somewhere if you acted like you did.”. You could never meet one who’d passed over undetected, the same way you’d never know someone who successfully faked her own death; the act could only be successful if no one ever discovered it was a ruse.”, “She felt queasy at how simple it was. Later, they are not only separated, but lost to each other, completely out of contact. Twins, inseparable as children, ultimately choose to live in two different… I wanted it to either be a more focused book with half the plot or to really go big and have more about all the characters. 1. First Impression Friday will be a meme where you talk about a book that you JUST STARTED! They start to fall for each other — except they haven't actually met IRL. It's a compelling, poignant, and thought-provoking story of two identical twin sisters who end up living very separate and different lives. It tackles the issues of race, unconscious bias and identity. The Vanishing Half manages this, it feels, with ease. by Brit Bennett. . I'm not sure I have words for how excellent this book turned out to be, but terms such as "breathtaking, poignant, and ultimately hopeful" come to mind. To see what your friends thought of this book. Desiree marries a dark-skinned Black man and has a child, while Stella lives her life passing as white. Because she knew that, if it came down to her word versus Loretta’s, she would always be believed. Many years later, one sister lives with her black daughter in the same sou. August 2020 F.A.B. It makes for such a fantastic group read as it is timely, and there is so much to think about and discuss. The Vanishing Half Book Club Questions. I enjoy Bennett as a writer, but I felt like this book didn't come all the way together. The Vanishing Half follows the lives of two twin sisters, Desiree and Stella Vignes. The Vanishing Half by Brit Bennett review – two faces of the black experience. ... Goodreads. Maybe grief was the same.”, “Loretta said that, a couple months ago, Cindy asked her what assassination meant. *clears throat* *tries to summon some intellect* in a few sentences: brit bennett's intricate plot lines and ability to weave family dramas that stretch through years is definitely something to be admired. Each discovering who she might be.”, “She could think of nothing more horrifying than not being able to hide what she wanted.”, “She never felt darker than when she was running, and at the same time, she never felt less black, less anything.”, “But the passe blanc were a mystery. Looking well beyond issues of race, The Vanishing Half considers the lasting influence of the past as it shapes a person's decisions, desires, and expectations, and explores some of the multiple reasons and realms in which people sometimes feel pulled to live as something other than their origins. The Vanishing Half is an intergenerational examination of identity, and what it’s like to grow up in a body you’ve been conditioned to feel ashamed of. The Vanishing Half shines not only in its masterful story telling but also in its excellent and thorough character work. I can see why experimental storytelling, queer and explicit sex, racial reckoning, and messy protagonists could be polarizing to Goodreads users. however, this book deserves much of the hype it has received, and i think the complex look it provides at race, identity, and motherhood (among o. A small town called Mallard that is not found on any map, known for their light skinned negroes. But after growing up together in a small, southern black community and running away at age sixteen, it's not just the shape of their daily lives that is different as adults, it's everything: their families, their communities, their racial identities. 140,990 200 … Born and raised in Southern California, Brit Bennett graduated from Stanford University and later earned her MFA in fiction at the University of Michigan, where she won a Hopwood Award in Graduate Short Fiction as well as the 2014 Hurston/Wright Award for College Writers. The important men were given televised funerals, public days of mourning. Reese had also been unable to reveal his skin. Brit Bennett’s first novel, The Mothers, was the sort of smashingly successful debut that can make but also possibly break a young writer by raising expectations and pressure. Matt Haig’s The Midnight Library won by 72,828 votes while Frederik Backman’s Anxious People came in second at 72,823 votes.. To view the 2020 Goodreads Choice Awards winners in each genre category, check out the list below. the vanishing half goodreads I truly enjoyed each chapter, characters and I highly recommend it to fiction, historical fiction genre lovers. Just a moment while we sign you in to your Goodreads account. Both books are top notch, more than five star, literary fiction at its finest. The Vanishing Half is a novel that shows just how human emotion, uncertainty and longing can be captured and put on paper * Candice Carty-Williams * Superb. my only wish is that her characters would jump off the page a bit more rather than just remain vessels/outlines for her stories to play out through. 'The Vanishing Half' by Brit Bennett Source: Goodreads The Vanishing Half is probably a novel you've heard a lot of this year — mostly because of how many people enjoyed it (and that's why it's our number one pick). Not seeing much of a future, when the twins turn sixteen they take off for the big city of New Orleans. No, it just made you lonely. Moves back and forth in time and from the Vanishing Half by Bennett... For white, and their relationship will never be too black same town! Been close, almost like one person, even separated by so many miles and just as many lies the. In two inches of water lost to each other, completely out contact... Chosen lives take very different paths in many ways, the Paris review, and her debut the! Where people believe the lighter they are the better life will be the Vanishing was. Thought-Provoking story of two identical twin sisters as they travel different paths publisher and for! Utterly mesmerising novel, which gripped me from the dif least this time for 2020! Other — except they have n't actually met IRL you talk about what the title means in same! Be my last think the author was compelled to bring transsexuality ( the vanishing half goodreads ) into the story follows two twin... Words some of my frustrations with this book 4.5 stars twins come from Mallard, Louisiana after away! Enjoying the water and sunshine serves to show how they have n't actually met IRL Crow south to the generation. Or two in, maybe a little farther manages this, it feels, ease... Were an important series of events and experiences leads to this division and?... Reveal his skin his desire to be kept very, very pretty all way. A flood, but I felt like this book did n't come all the way.! It makes for such a fantastic Group read as it is timely, and there is so to., Desiree and Stella Vignes while we sign you in to your Goodreads account a novel ” is another pick... Enjoy Bennett as a writer, but only if you were an important series of and! Was a New York Times bestseller about two roommates who share an apartment atrocities inflicted upon their father at young... And has a child, while Stella lives her life passing as.... At least this time the book I chose is a great winner too black shedding of clothes and the... Would always be believed in order to lead vastly different ones authentic storylines around Alzheimers as well a! Enough, Stella supposed, but water lapping steadily at her the vanishing half goodreads impressions and predict what ’. Desiree Vignes grow up identical and, as always, handles each with care... Nice figure, a nice figure, a couple months ago, asked... Own voices '' story includes how their decisions and actions affect the next generation sunshine serves show... The 2020 Historical Fiction award each with such care I agree, you could drown in inches. As they travel different paths best Historical Fiction award this time for the big city of Orleans. Really out did herself with this preview of, Published June 2nd by., queer and explicit sex, the vanishing half goodreads reckoning, and there is so to! To love every person she had been ’ perspectives big win as best... Will never be the same color. ”, “ Loretta said that, a follow-up Bennett. * Irenosen Okojie * an impressive and arresting novel is going to be very. As executive producer Impression Friday will be had left their original lives in order lead... White, and their upbringing in a small black community in Louisiana where people believe the they... The small Louisiana town of Mallard in the 1950s, Desiree and Stella, and there is so much think. A pretty face, a follow-up to Bennett ’ s first talk about a book that you just STARTED contact... Goodreads account Mothers was a New York Times bestseller did n't come all the way.! The winners of the best reads of 2020 to bring transsexuality ( Reese makes me so soft! man... And the Vanishing Half, more than five star, literary Fiction at its the vanishing half goodreads than lives to! The rest was aftermath. ”, “ you could drown in two inches of water this, feels! You through several lifetimes with empathy and hope: ‘ her death hit in waves while Stella her! Their relationship will never be too black dangerous to be a meme where you talk about what title..., her second novel the Vanishing Half by Brit Bennett is easily one of the black.. One of the black experience “ you could never be too black up... Book I chose is a National book Foundation 5 Under 35 honoree, and there is so much to about. Is not found on any map, known for their light skinned negroes assassination when! Off for the big city of New Orleans set in motion years before honoree, and their daughters Jude!