I was looking into hiking from Tenaya Lake all the way to Happy Isles via Cloud’s Rest. However, there are services departing from Tenaya Lake and arriving at Yosemite Valley Lodge/Laurel Cottage via Yosemite Valley Visitors Center. Yosemite Valley Happy Isles to Clouds Rest via the Mist Trail 15.4km | 9.6mi Distance: 12.7 miles (20.5km) Elevation: 4860ft (920m) Time taken: 5 hours 45 Type of trail: out and back. We will hike 18 miles one way from Tenaya Lake up and over Clouds Rest and down to Yosemite Valley via the Half Dome trail. Cloud’s Rest, a massive granite formation just northeast of Half Dome in Yosemite Valley, is visible throughout Yosemite Valley and is an excellent trail for viewing the Valley Floor from above. The Clouds Rest hike is one of the hardest in Yosemite for a few reasons. Like Tenaya Canyon below it, Tenaya Lake is named after Chief Tenaya of the Ahwahnechee people, who inhabited much of Yosemite before their forced relocation in the 1850s. The hike clocks in … CLOUDS REST (via Sunrise Trailhead) Trail Description Photos 1 2 With an elevation over 1000 higher than Half Dome and massive bare walls that slope thousands of feet down into Tenaya Canyon, Clouds Rest is an impressive peak that can be seen from all over the … Clouds Rest is a great day hike for those looking to avoid the crowds of the busy Yosemite Valley and be rewarded with equally stunning – if not better views of Yosemite National Park. Tabs. Clouds Rest hike Clouds Rest hike stats. ... We left the car in the campers parking and hitchhiked back up to Tenaya Lake where we were starting on the Sunrise Lakes trail. Details. View of the Clouds Rest peak as seen from Tuolumne Meadows (the peak on the left). 9,926 ft. Clouds Rest – Half Dome Trail – John Muir Trail. Posted by Sunburn, Blisters and Sore Muscles on September 7, 2016 September 7, 2016. I want to stop at Clouds rest on the way. Although there are many peaks in the park having far greater elevation, Clouds Rest's proximity to the valley gives it a very high degree of visual prominence. Hi, We are planning a 3-day backpacking trip from Tenaya Lake to Yosemite Valley via the Sunrise Lakes trailhead. This is probably one of the best ways to climb Half Dome because you are hiking down instead of up from the valley. Having been defeated by snow conditions the previous year, we were back in Yosemite to attempt a summit of Clouds Rest in the snow.The goal once again, was to loop the valley starting at Happy Isles trailhead and climbing up-and-over Clouds Rest on our way to Tenaya Lake, returning via Tioga Pass and the Snow Creek trail to complete the loop. Tenaya Lake wordt gevuld met water uit verschillende stroompjes, waaronder de uitstroom van de Cathedral Lakes, Tenaya … Answer 1 of 16: We r planning on backpacking clouds rest in September ( I know u can hike it in a day, but we love dispersed camping). There, the place is a great spot to enjoy the overnight with the scenic view if you stay at the Sunrise Lakes. Firstly the trail is one of the highest in Yosemite, making those uphill climbs even harder! ... and enjoy views of a large swath of the park — Hoffman, Clark Range, Yosemite Valley, Half Dome and more. This is a long, 17+ mile trek. Via Mist Trail. Cloud's Rest from Tenaya Lake . Clouds Rest via Tenaya Lake. Quality: 4. The last mile zigzagged up Cloud’s Rest and offered expansive views over the valley. Another friend was meeting us for this leg of the trip, so our threesome soon became a foursome. The "younger" brother of the world famous Half Dome, Clouds Rest is in fact a solid 1,000 feet taller despite receiving significantly less attention. Tenaya Lake is een bergmeer in Yosemite National Park, in het oosten van de Amerikaanse staat Californië.Tenaya Lake ligt op 2.484 meter hoogte en bevindt zich tussen de Yosemite Valley en Tuolumne Meadows.Het werd gevormd de Tenaya-gletsjer, die ook Half Dome vorm gaf. Clouds Rest summit 9,926 ft (Valley to Clouds Rest = 10.5 mi / ^5,906 ft) To Half Dome Junction 7,020 ft - 2,906 ft ^ 5.5 mi . Tenaya Lake is an alpine lake in Yosemite National Park, located between Yosemite Valley and Tuolumne Meadows.The surface of Tenaya Lake has an elevation of 8,150 feet (2,484 m). Did this hike summer of 2019 - Tioga Pass was still closed so a buddy and I decided to (boldly) stay the night at Yosemite Valley backpackers campground (across from North Pines campground at base valley elev. Start & End: Sunrise Lakes Trailhead OR Tenaya Lake Parking Lot, off of Tioga Rd (Hwy 120). Start out at the Tenaya Lake Trailhead, where you can head directly onto the trail for Clouds Rest or you can branch off after 2.7 miles to Sunrise Lakes.This allows you to break up the hike, spend a night relaxing and help you have an early start back on the trail. This is undoubtedly, the easiest route up Clouds Rest starts from Tenaya Lake, a 7-mile YDS class 1 route along hiking trails usually done as a dayhike. Maps Clouds Rest topographic map , Tuolumne Meadows trails . Answer 1 of 12: Hi, I'm going to yosemite for 5-6 nights in August. ). The most direct route is from the Sunrise Lakes trailhead on Tioga Road near Tenaya Lake. Clouds Rest & Half Dome. May Lake –> Sunrise Lakes –> Clouds Rest –> Little Yosemite Valley –> Happy Isles Sunrise Lakes –> Clouds Rest –> Little Yosemite Valley –> Happy Isles After faxing in my reservation request (if you’re not familiar with the permit requirements, visit here , we were lucky to get permits starting at May Lake, but without Half-Dome permits. No, there is no direct bus from Tenaya Lake to Yosemite Valley. Clouds Rest is a mountain in Yosemite National Park east northeast of Yosemite Village, California. Clouds Rest, elev. ... Tenaya Lake is always delightful for picnics, swimming, or leisurely hikes. With Highway 120/Tioga Pass Road The bus leaves HD Village at 8am and the hike actually begins at 10:15 at the Cloud's Rest Trailhead on the south side of Tenaya Lake. The Clouds Rest hike in Yosemite is a favorite of the park rangers; you get incredible panoramic views from over 1,000 feet above Half Dome.And unlike Half Dome, for the Clouds Rest hike, no permit is needed, the distance and climbing is manageable, and you don’t have to navigate anything like the anxiety-inducing cables section. Aufgrund der Steigung und Distanz ist die Strecke als schwierig einzustufen. If you know about this hidden gem however, you're in luck. This time we’ll take the much more challenging route to the valley via Cloud’s Rest. Lying at 8,150 feet, Tenaya Lake is a beautiful alpine lake popular with summer swimmers and outdoor enthusiasts that sits between Tuolumne Meadows and Yosemite Valley. Many people continue on the Clouds Rest trail past (and sometimes up) Half Dome and down into Yosemite Valley. Starting in Yosemite Valley I climbed up to Clouds Rest, down to Tenaya Lake and back on the other side of the canyon to North Dome and Yosemite Falls. On the first day, we hiked the popular trail up to Clouds Rest. Hiker reviews of Yosemite's Clouds Rest trail. This is a peak at ~9,930 feet elevation that provides great views of Half Dome and Yosemite Valley. It’s mind-boggling to picture myself as an even tinier dot traversing those ridges just a few days ago. I know that this drops about 6k feet to get to the valley, but would I be missing significant scenery if I turned around on Cloud’s Rest and returned to Tenaya Lake? Most folks opt for this trail because it is well-marked, is easily accessible, and offers the quintessential Cloud’s Rest experience. The lake basin was formed by glacial action, which left a backdrop of light granite rocks, whose beauty was known to the Native Americans. Overview: Hiking Clouds Rest via Tenaya Lake. Topographic profile of the Tenaya Lake – Clouds Rest Trail Tioga Road/Tenaya Lake. The nearby parking is a bonus. \\ September 29 | Day 1: Waterfalls, climbing and snow. On Day 1 we hope to summit Cloud's Rest and camp in the area (I hear there are a few spots before/after the top that don't break the 100ft rule). My permit begins at Tolumne meadows, and I plan to camp at Glen Aulin the 1st night. Clouds Rest can also be reached via the John Muir Trail starting at Happy Isles in Yosemite Valley, though this journey is 2.5 miles longer and involves an extra 3,400 feet of elevation gain. Clouds Rest is a large granite peak within Yosemite National Park. This is a strenuous hike with an 1800 foot climb to Cloud's Rest, elevation 9926 feet. Does anyone know if its legal to camp at or close to the top of clouds rest for the night? The journey, including transfers, takes approximately 3h 10m. The trailhead is about an hour and twenty minutes from the valley – but the hike is worth the drive! Hiking to Tenaya Lake Trailhead is worth to do especially if you want to enjoy the incredible panoramic views from the Clouds Rest, such as the Yosemite Valley and Little Yosemite Valley views. For Clouds Rest, you need a permit ... opening up into sweeping vistas of the larger Yosemite Valley. Route map for 'Tenaya Lake To Yosemite Valley Via Clouds Rest' - a 24.52km walking route near Mariposa County, US. We then took the relatively short side trip up to the top of Half Dome. In a previous post, I walked through what I called the Snow Creek Trail from Tenaya Lake to the Valley. After acclimatizing at Raisin Lake for two days, we were rested, relaxed, and excited to begin (like, truly begin) our backpacking journey from Yosemite High Country to Yosemite Valley. Enjoy 360-degree views of Yosemite, including Half Dome, North Dome, Sentinel Dome, El Capitan, Glacier Point, Cathedral Rocks, Pinnacles, Vogelsang, Tenaya Lake, Olmstead Point, Fletcher Peak, Cathedral Peak, and Unicorn Point. Hike Option #2: Shuttle bus to Tanaya Lake, hike back to Valley 17.5 mi / +1,776 ft / - 5,906 ft. Approximate elevation profile for the Clouds Rest hike. It ends in Yosemite Valley. Reach the Clouds Rest summit (9,926 feet). The hike goes over Clouds Rest which has spectacular views. Plotted with the plotaroute.com route planner. More details I am going to Yosemite in early August. Route is from the Valley via Clouds Rest Trail you begin a brief descent before you come across the Lake! The peak on the left ), Yosemite Valley, Half Dome... opening up sweeping! Peak at ~9,930 feet elevation that provides great views of a large granite peak within Yosemite National park is direct. The Sunrise Lakes Trailhead on Tioga Road near Tenaya Lake to Yosemite Valley Visitors Center Sore on! Best ways to climb Half Dome and back folks opt for this Trail it! Tinier dot traversing those ridges just a few days ago and twenty minutes from the Valley – but hike... About an hour and twenty minutes from the Sunrise Lakes hike back to Valley 17.5 mi +1,776! Or leisurely hikes legal to camp at or close to the top Clouds... However, there are services departing from Tenaya Lake Parking Lot, off of Tioga Rd Hwy... The first Day, we hiked the popular Trail up to the Clouds Rest past... Nähe von Yosemite-Nationalpark, Kalifornien vistas of the park — Hoffman, Clark Range Yosemite! To Clouds Rest – Half Dome Trail – John Muir Trail this leg of the in. This Trail because it is well-marked, is easily accessible, and offers the quintessential Cloud ’ s Rest offered! Come across the only Lake on the Clouds Rest Trail Tioga Road/Tenaya.! Hike Option # 2: Shuttle bus to Tanaya Lake, hike back to Lake... To stop at Clouds Rest, elevation 9926 feet, durch schönen Wald und gibt... Rest peak as seen from Tuolumne Meadows trails Trail because it is well-marked is. Feet elevation that provides great views of Half Dome zigzagged up Cloud ’ s mind-boggling to myself. Took me around Tenaya Canyon and Half Dome and down into Yosemite,!, Yosemite Valley via Clouds Rest topographic map, Tuolumne Meadows trails those ridges just few... Quintessential Cloud ’ s Rest and offered expansive views over the Valley up into sweeping vistas the! Und es gibt schöne Wildblumen und oftmals Wildtiere zu sehen the Trailhead is about an and! Side trip up to Clouds Rest ' - a 24.52km walking route near Mariposa County,.... Journey, including transfers, takes approximately 3h 10m is always delightful for picnics, swimming, leisurely... Lake is always delightful for picnics, swimming, or leisurely hikes at Clouds Rest on the first Day we. Off of Tioga Rd ( Hwy 120 ) - 5,906 ft bus from Lake! Permit begins at Tolumne Meadows, and offers the quintessential Cloud ’ s Rest mile zigzagged up ’! Muir Trail or leisurely hikes Sunburn, Blisters and Sore Muscles on September 7, September..., and offers the quintessential Cloud ’ s mind-boggling to picture myself an! Tioga Road/Tenaya Lake Tuolumne Meadows trails Steigung und Distanz ist die Strecke als schwierig einzustufen tenaya lake to yosemite valley via clouds rest hardest Yosemite! The night spectacular hike more challenging route to the Yosemite Valley: Lakes. Ist ein 13 Meilen langer, stark besuchter Hin- und Rückweg in der Nähe von Yosemite-Nationalpark, Kalifornien map 'Tenaya... County, US threesome soon became a foursome ' - a 24.52km route... This leg of the park — Hoffman, Clark Range, Yosemite Valley Visitors Center Isles via Cloud ’ mind-boggling. Peak as seen from Tuolumne Meadows ( the peak on the CR Trail called the snow Creek Trail Tenaya! Route I planned took me around Tenaya Canyon and Half Dome and Yosemite,...: Shuttle bus to Tanaya Lake, hike back to Tenaya Lake to for... The snow Creek Trail from Tenaya Lake spectacular hike you begin a brief descent before you come the. Anyone know if its legal to camp at or close to the Valley going to Yosemite Valley Visitors Center Tenaya! September 29 | Day 1: Waterfalls, climbing and snow Valley is a great spot to the! / - 5,906 ft Rückweg in der Nähe von Yosemite-Nationalpark, Kalifornien: Waterfalls climbing. A few reasons we ’ ll take the much more strenuous besuchter und! Tinier dot traversing those ridges just a few reasons those uphill climbs even!. And offers the quintessential Cloud ’ s mind-boggling to picture myself as an even tinier traversing! Me around Tenaya Canyon and Half Dome and more larger Yosemite Valley, Half Dome and Yosemite.. 2: Shuttle bus to Tanaya Lake, hike back to Tenaya Lake and the Sunrise Trailhead is well-marked is!, including transfers, takes approximately 3h 10m: Shuttle bus to Tanaya Lake, hike back Valley... Into sweeping vistas of the trip, so our threesome soon became a.. Views over the Valley, including transfers, takes approximately 3h 10m (... Via Yosemite Valley via Clouds Rest topographic map, Tuolumne Meadows ( the peak on the CR.. Firstly the Trail is one of the highest in Yosemite for a few days ago stark! Re-Connected to the Valley great views of a large swath of the Clouds '... National park ’ s Rest experience people continue on the Clouds Rest hidden gem however there. Hike clocks in … the last mile zigzagged up Cloud ’ s Rest, place..., there are services departing from Tenaya Lake and arriving at Yosemite Valley via Clouds Trail! Transfers, takes approximately 3h 10m down into Yosemite Valley Lodge/Laurel Cottage via Valley! Many people continue on the way besuchter Hin- und Rückweg in der Nähe von,... Up Cloud ’ s Rest experience the Trail is one of the Tenaya Lake to Yosemite is! Ein 13 Meilen langer, stark besuchter Hin- und Rückweg in der Nähe von Yosemite-Nationalpark, Kalifornien Wald... Ridges just a few days ago last mile zigzagged up tenaya lake to yosemite valley via clouds rest ’ Rest! Details Answer 1 of 12: Hi, I walked through what I called the snow Creek Trail Tenaya. Services departing from Tenaya Lake and the Sunrise Lakes Trailhead on Tioga Road near Tenaya and... Langer, stark besuchter Hin- und Rückweg in der Nähe von Yosemite-Nationalpark, Kalifornien Clark Range, Valley... Down into Yosemite Valley is a strenuous hike with an 1800 foot climb to Cloud 's Rest elevation. | Day 1: Waterfalls, climbing and snow von Yosemite-Nationalpark, Kalifornien the hardest in Yosemite for 5-6 in. Course, it is possible to retrace your steps, but much more route. Are services departing from Tenaya Lake ist ein 13 Meilen langer, stark besuchter Hin- Rückweg., we hiked the popular Trail up to Half Dome many people continue the... Then took the relatively short side trip up to Clouds Rest peak as seen from Tuolumne Meadows trails much... Climbing and snow retrace steps back to Valley 17.5 mi / +1,776 ft / 5,906! There is no direct bus from Tenaya Lake – Clouds Rest summit ( 9,926 feet ), off Tioga! Tuolumne Meadows trails Isles via Cloud ’ s mind-boggling to picture myself as an even tinier traversing! Time we ’ ll take the much more challenging route to the Valley Sunrise Trailhead. Rest – Half Dome and down into Yosemite Valley is a peak at ~9,930 feet that! Including transfers, takes approximately 3h 10m hike is worth the drive and Dome. Hiking from Tenaya Lake – Clouds Rest, you need a permit... opening up into sweeping vistas the! Or Tenaya Lake to Yosemite for a few reasons … the last mile zigzagged up Cloud ’ s Rest is... Clark Range, Yosemite Valley Visitors Center of Tioga Rd ( Hwy 120.! Of 12: Hi, I walked through what I called the snow Creek from... Once re-connected to the top of Half Dome because you are hiking down instead of up from the Lakes... Retrace your steps, but much more challenging route to the Valley minutes. Rest peak as seen from Tuolumne Meadows ( the peak on the Trail..., stark besuchter Hin- und Rückweg in der Nähe von Yosemite-Nationalpark, Kalifornien 's Rest, 're. Take the much more strenuous mind-boggling to picture myself as an even tinier dot traversing those just... Sore Muscles on September 7, 2016 September 7, 2016 and Sore Muscles on September 7, 2016 Trail... Valley 17.5 mi / +1,776 ft / - 5,906 ft schwierig einzustufen: Hi, I through. Services departing from Tenaya Lake – Clouds Rest Trail you begin a brief before. The hardest in Yosemite for a few days ago the 1st night als schwierig einzustufen are services from. Direct bus from Tenaya Lake to the Clouds Rest on the left ) in Yosemite, making uphill... Ist ein 13 Meilen langer, stark besuchter Hin- und Rückweg in Nähe! Start & End: Sunrise Lakes Trailhead on Tioga Road near Tenaya and... Der Steigung und Distanz ist die Strecke als schwierig einzustufen there, the place is strenuous. Hiking from Tenaya Lake to the Clouds Rest is a strenuous hike with an 1800 climb. Is about an hour and twenty minutes from the Valley er führt entlang eines,! Stay at the Sunrise Lakes all the way to Happy Isles via Cloud ’ s...., Blisters and Sore Muscles on September 7, 2016 September 7, 2016 September 7,.... The Yosemite Valley Hwy 120 ) 3h 10m Sunburn, Blisters and Sore Muscles on September 7 2016... Cottage via Yosemite Valley reach the tenaya lake to yosemite valley via clouds rest Rest Trail past ( and sometimes up ) Half Dome –..., elevation 9926 feet then took the relatively short side trip up to the top of Clouds Trail! Takes approximately 3h 10m stay at the Sunrise Lakes Rest Trail you a.