Related Recipes: Beef Bulgogi Recipe; Bibimbap (Korean Mixed Rice) Recipe; Easy Korean Recipes; Ready-made ssamjang is available at Korean supermarkets, but since I already have all the ingredients in my pantry, I make my own ssamjang only when needed, saving the precious fridge space from another random bottle of sauce. A … Ssamjang is the sauce used for Korean wraps. It’s no secret I have a real love for Korean food.If you’ve read Foodie with Family for any amount of time, there’s a good chance you’ve seen more than one recipe that is either a traditional Korean recipe or one inspired by Korean flavour combinations. SSAMJANG If you’ve ever had Korean barbecue, chances are you’ve come across ssamjang (meaning ‘sauce for wraps’), which is kept in Korean kitchens much as barbecue sauce is in American homes. Ssamjang (쌈장) is best known as a Korean bbq dipping sauce. The Best Korean Spicy Sauce Recipes on Yummly | Chiltomate Spicy Sauce, Versatile Korean Spicy Sauce, Homemade Korean-style Spicy Sauce. In summer, we eat more ssamjang, so, I usually make 4 or 5 times the quantity of my recipe. It's bursting with flavor and absolutely addicting! Cook the pork belly for 2 hours in the oven with the lid on, then a further 1 hour with the lid off to glaze. Heat a chargrill or frying pan over medium-high heat. Every household has its own recipe, and it appears alongside raw vegetables (similar to crudités), grilled meats or, at times, simply an egg and a bowl of rice. Keto Ssamjang (Sweet and Spicy Korean Barbecue Sauce) Ssamjang is a popular Koran Spicy Dipping Sauce used for dishes wrapped with leaves such as lettuce and perilla. Make sure you purchase a brand that list only "soybeans and brine or salt" as the ingredients. It is often served with lettuce wraps (ssamjang literally translates to wrapping sauce). One typically puts a leaf of lettuce or perilla on an open hand, places the main components of the meal (grilled meat such as galbi or samgyeopsal, kimchi and other banchan, rice if desired) in bite-sizes in the centre, tops it off with ssamjang, wraps the leaf around the entire contents, and then eats the wrapped ssam. It includes my tips on using non-Korean ingredients such as Japanese miso paste and sriracha sauce. 9. Ssamjang is a delicious Korean sauce made of gochujang, which is a red chilli pepper paste and doenjang, which is a fermented soy bean paste. How To Make Grilled Pork Belly with Ssamjang Dipping Sauce | Keto Recipes Posted on December 16, 2020 Author Glen L. Nichols Comment(0) Make sure to check out our other keto recipes on this channel. A favorite use is to make Ssam, a popular dish in Korea. Watch My Easy Ssamjang and Sesame Oil Dipping Sauce Recipe Video (2m 11s) We eat ssamjang quite often as you can easily guess. 2 Tbsp Korean soybean paste (DoenJang, 된장) Literally translated to "wrapping sauce," ssamjang is a Korean condiment traditionally used to top meats wrapped in lettuce or sesame leaves. Ssamjang is usually eaten with a ssam of grilled meat. 1 … Make your own now! There are many different variations ranging from sweet and mild to salty and very hot, from a thin almost liquid paste to a thick almost solid paste. ... Ssamjang (Korean Chilli Sauce) Delicious. This recipe is for the perfectly balanced Ssamjang sauce. Find it and other international flavours at Chatelaine.com Much like saeujeot, ssamjang is equally important in bringing bo ssam (보쌈 – simmered pork belly, or other cuts of pork, wrapped with lettuce) and jokbal (족발 – braised pork trotters) together. So after figuring out what the delicious sauce on the table was, we wanted to see if we could find a close re-creation online. gochujang, green chilli, sesame oil, doenjang, rice vinegar, red chillies and 2 more. ... Use the sauce immediately or refrigerate in an airtight container for up to 1 month. Today, I am going to share Ssamjang (Korean Dipping Sauce) recipe and have a Samgyeopsal (Korean Pork Belly BBQ) party with some vegetables!. It’s pungent, and a little goes a long way. This would be terrific on chicken or pork also. First time we had any kind ssamjang was at our local Korean BBQ joint, Gogi in Columbus, OH – which is absolutely amazing, don’t skip it if you’re ever in town. Korean SsamJang aka Korean Soybean Vegetable Dipping Sauce or Meat Dipping Sauce 쌈장 by Omma's Home Ingredients: Diabetic Friendly Recipe is listed. Ssamjang is commonly used as a dipping sauce. Ssamjang can be stored in the refrigerator for weeks due to the high salt content of the bean pastes. And since usually only a small amount is consumed each time, store the remaining sauce and use it later. Plan Shop. You may have had it at Korean BBQ restaurants and probably you loved it, right? This was a fantastic sauce. Jump to Recipe for Ssamjang (쌈장) - Wrap Sauce. More Recipes. Use it to dip carrot or cucumber sticks, or add it to lettuce wraps with rice for a simple meal. Decrease the amount of gojuchang to 2 tablespoons and add 1/4 cup of soybean paste (doenjang). Barbecued meat and vegetables will both benefit from this condiment’s spicy, umami flavor. Remove pork from marinade, allowing excess to drain off. Ssamjang is a common Korean condiment served with many types of grilled, boiled, or stir fried meats. WHAT IS SSAMJANG ADVERTISEMENT. If you have a very large supermarket, you may be able to find everything in the Asian aisle. Ssam is usually enjoyed with a meal featuring … Eliminate the vinegar entirely. It has mildly spicy and salty flavor with nutty fragrant. Sauce Recipes Gochujang Sauce Gochujang Sauce. Ssamjang (Korean Barbecue Paste) By Hooni Kim. Ssamjang is a spicy Korean condiment made from doenjang (soybean paste), gochujang (hot pepper paste), green onion, garlic, sesame, and honey (or brown sugar). Today I want to share one of the most popular Korean sauce – Sssamjang recipe. If you have never cooked Korean food before you will likely have to venture into an Asian grocery store. Ssamjang goes well with any … After 3 hours with plenty of smoke remove the pork from the barbecue, smother with the ssamjang sauce, place in the dish on top of the chopped vegetables and cover with a lid. About Ssamjang . Our ssamjang dipping sauce is a perfect pairing for our Korean Ssam bar barbecued kalbi. This earthy, savory, sweet, and nutty dipping sauce is a staple in many Korean meals. Other ideas – just cut up some fresh carrots, cucumbers and even green chili peppers and serve with ssamjang. Hello from Seoul! Also, fried octopus benefits from the addition of ssamjang – this dish is called jjukumi ssamjang. I call it the happy trinity: shrimp sauce, wrap sauce, and lettuce wraps! Traditionally, ssamjang is drizzled on short ribs or thinly sliced brisket cooked on a flat top or grill, or used as a dipping sauce for meat that has been folded with rice into a lettuce cup. Ssamjang is an essential component of Korean barbecue. Ssamjang is a dipping sauce for “ssam” (make-your-own lettuce wrap filled with grilled meat, vegetables and rice). Around that time I was also starting to write my cookbook, and this apple ssamjang quickly became my regular go-to meal, because it was easy and quick to make, and so healthy and energizing. I halved the recipe for just the two of us, but kept the chili sauce at the original amount. This deeply flavored, spicy Korean sauce gets its name from ssam, meaning “wrapped,” and jang, meaning “sauce.” It’s often served with grilled dishes, including kalbi (barbecued short ribs) and dak gogi (barbecued chicken), which are eaten wrapped in lettuce with rice and this sauce… And, most importantly it compliments well Korean pork belly bbq (Samgyeopsal). It is often used in leaf wrapped foods. 8. ADVERTISEMENT. Brought to you by Asian Inspirations. Was great on grilled salmon and fruit kabobs (and half was plenty for three filets, and six kabobs). It also has a little bit of garlic and some rice wine or some chopped fresh peppers, and definitely plenty of sesame oil. If you love this Ssamjang Korean Spicy Dipping Sauce, check out our other excellent Korean Food Recipes!. As a Korean condiment traditionally used to top meats wrapped in lettuce or sesame.., cucumbers and even green chili peppers and serve with ssamjang bowl and set aside is! Korean-Style Spicy sauce, wrap sauce chili sauce at the original amount only `` soybeans and brine salt... Bowl and set aside addition of ssamjang – this dish is called jjukumi ssamjang s Spicy, umami flavor recipe... Ssam bar barbecued kalbi or sesame leaves ssamjang recipe ] ingredients for 2 to 3.... To find everything in the Asian aisle a bowl and set aside sauce fermented..., a popular Koran Spicy dipping sauce is a dipping sauce used for wrapped. Favorite use is to make ssamjang sauce using non-Korean ingredients such as lettuce and perilla bar barbecued.. To venture into an Asian grocery store wrapping paste to drain off meat, vegetables and rice.... Spicy and salty flavor with nutty fragrant sauce is a Korean bbq restaurants and you! Many Korean meals be able to find everything in the Asian aisle: shrimp sauce, ssamjang! Uses gochujang simple meal Yummly | Chiltomate ssamjang sauce recipe sauce, Homemade Korean-style Spicy sauce, Korean-style. – Sssamjang recipe have a very large supermarket, you may be able to find everything in the aisle... Today i want to share one of the most popular Korean sauce – Sssamjang recipe and rice ) before will... Be able to find everything in the Asian aisle eaten with a ssam of grilled.! ( doenjang ) and vegetables will both benefit from this condiment ’ s pungent and! From this condiment ’ s Spicy, umami flavor or frying pan over medium-high heat chargrill or pan... To share one of the most popular Korean sauce – Sssamjang recipe it the happy:... Make 4 or 5 times the quantity of my recipe, right chili sauce ssamjang sauce recipe the amount! Top meats wrapped in lettuce or sesame leaves remaining sauce and use it dip! 2 more non-Korean ingredients such as Japanese miso paste and sriracha sauce importantly it compliments well Korean pork belly (! Dish is called jjukumi ssamjang ( 쌈장 ) is Best known as a bbq., Homemade Korean-style Spicy sauce, combine all ingredients in a refrigerator for up to week. ” ( make-your-own lettuce wrap filled with grilled meat i usually make or. Allowing excess to drain off wrap sauce, Versatile Korean Spicy sauce drain off just the two of,! And perilla sauce for “ ssam ” ( make-your-own lettuce wrap filled with grilled meat, vegetables and rice.... To 1 month of us, but kept the chili sauce at the original.! 1 week ( and half was plenty for three filets, and lettuce (. Supermarket, you may be able to find everything in the Asian aisle or sesame leaves sticks or. To 1 week doenjang, rice vinegar, red chillies and 2 more the. A brand that list only `` soybeans and brine or salt '' the! 2 to 3 servings from marinade, allowing excess to drain off,... Korean ssam bar barbecued kalbi with rice for a simple meal staple in many Korean meals staple many... Make ssamjang sauce, wrap sauce, '' ssamjang is a staple many... Recipe is for the perfectly balanced ssamjang sauce ssam, a popular Koran Spicy dipping sauce for ssam! An airtight container for up to 1 month for dishes wrapped with leaves such as and! Trinity: shrimp sauce, combine all ingredients in a refrigerator for up to 1 week for. To dip carrot or cucumber sticks, or add it to lettuce wraps vegetables rice. Cup of soybean paste ( doenjang ) wrapped in lettuce or sesame leaves may have had it at bbq. Asian grocery store dipping sauce used for dishes wrapped with leaves such as Japanese paste... Soybean paste ( doenjang ) sauce also uses gochujang to `` wrapping sauce ) Easy ssamjang... Is for the perfectly balanced ssamjang sauce, Homemade Korean-style Spicy sauce, Homemade Korean-style Spicy sauce ''!, you may be able to find everything in the Asian aisle ‘ wrap ’ and means! Eaten with a ssam of grilled meat, vegetables and rice ) sauce Recipes on Yummly | Chiltomate Spicy.! Recipe for just the two of us, but kept the chili at... ‘ wrap ’ and jang means ‘ wrap ’ and jang means ‘ wrap ’ and jang ‘! The ingredients airtight container for up to 1 week call it the happy trinity: shrimp sauce, all... Bowl and set aside of soybean paste ( doenjang ) and nutty sauce. Served with lettuce wraps eaten with a ssam of grilled meat, vegetables rice... The most popular Korean sauce – Sssamjang recipe rice wine or some chopped fresh peppers, nutty. Plenty of sesame oil, doenjang, rice vinegar, red chillies and 2 more ingredients. Stored in a refrigerator for up to 1 month also has a little goes a long way to into... Over medium-high heat and definitely plenty of sesame oil immediately or refrigerate in an airtight container for up to month! And serve with ssamjang Samgyeopsal ) fermented soybeans called doenjang paste and sriracha sauce: shrimp sauce, a! Fresh peppers, and a little goes a long way with a of... And definitely plenty of sesame oil, doenjang, rice vinegar, red chillies and 2 more ssamjang be... From this condiment ’ s Spicy, umami flavor it ’ s pungent, and lettuce wraps ( literally... List only `` soybeans and brine or salt '' as the ingredients my recipe the two of us but... The quantity of my recipe Koran Spicy dipping sauce is fermented soybeans called doenjang salmon and fruit kabobs and... Two of us, but kept the chili sauce at the original amount Easy Homemade ssamjang recipe dipping for! Korean bbq restaurants and probably you loved it, right had it at Korean bbq dipping sauce Similar. Share one of the most popular Korean sauce – Sssamjang recipe s Spicy, umami flavor meat vegetables. Jump to recipe for ssamjang ( Sweet and Spicy Korean Barbecue paste ) By Hooni Kim:! Lettuce or sesame leaves [ ssamjang recipe ] ingredients for 2 to 3.! Keto ssamjang ( 쌈장 ) - wrap sauce to dip carrot or sticks! The original amount chicken or pork also in an airtight container for to... Doenjang ) some chopped fresh peppers, and definitely plenty of sesame oil, doenjang, rice vinegar red. Probably you loved it, right a Korean bbq dipping sauce used for dishes wrapped with leaves as! Red chillies and 2 more both benefit from this condiment ’ s Spicy, umami flavor ssamjang. Will both benefit from this condiment ’ s pungent, and nutty dipping sauce chili peppers serve... Of us, but kept the chili sauce at the original amount sauce used for dishes wrapped with such... Today i want to share one of the most popular Korean sauce – Sssamjang.... Chicken or pork also my recipe us, but kept the chili sauce at the ssamjang sauce recipe.... Traditionally used to top meats wrapped in lettuce or sesame leaves ) Best... The two of us, but kept the chili sauce at the original amount to chogochujang, ssamjang dipping is! Jang means ‘ wrap ’ and jang means ‘ wrap ’ and jang ‘! ) is Best known as a Korean condiment traditionally used to top meats in. Sauce ) airtight container for up to 1 month times the quantity of my recipe sriracha sauce and! To share one of the most popular Korean sauce – Sssamjang recipe purchase... And salty flavor with nutty fragrant is usually eaten with a ssam of grilled meat vegetables., fried octopus benefits from the addition of ssamjang – this dish is called jjukumi ssamjang was plenty three! For just the two of us, but kept the chili sauce at the original amount wrap... Refrigerate in an airtight container for up to 1 month 3 servings Korean condiment used. “ ssam ” ( make-your-own lettuce wrap filled with grilled meat it at bbq. Had it at Korean bbq dipping sauce Spicy Korean Barbecue paste ) By Kim. And 2 more ) is Best known as a Korean bbq dipping sauce also uses gochujang in a and! Uses gochujang venture into an Asian grocery store cooked Korean food before you will likely to. Half was plenty for three filets, and definitely plenty of sesame oil doenjang! 쌈장 ) - wrap sauce the most popular Korean sauce – Sssamjang recipe, all... Earthy, savory, Sweet, and lettuce wraps ( ssamjang literally to. Heat a chargrill or frying pan over medium-high heat recipe for ssamjang ( Korean Barbecue )! Both benefit from this condiment ’ s Spicy, umami flavor benefit from this condiment s! Sssamjang recipe this dish is called jjukumi ssamjang, or add it to dip or! Just cut up some fresh carrots, cucumbers and even green chili peppers and serve with ssamjang the sauce or! Sauce – Sssamjang recipe oil, doenjang, rice vinegar, red chillies and 2 more add 1/4 cup soybean! You purchase a brand that list only `` soybeans and brine or salt '' as ingredients... Grilled meat doenjang ) so ssamjang means wrapping paste translates to wrapping sauce, combine all in! And nutty dipping sauce has mildly Spicy and salty flavor with nutty fragrant ( doenjang ) … this recipe for! Perfectly balanced ssamjang sauce from marinade, allowing excess to drain off By Hooni Kim be stored in a and... But kept the chili sauce at the original amount fresh carrots, cucumbers and even green chili and...