© Copyright 2020, Our Top 20 Most Cherished Christmas Cookies, Make-Ahead Breakfast Minis to Save Your Mornings, 15 Classic Sandwiches That Make Lunch Legendary, 14 Nights of Dinner Ideas All Under $2 Per Serving, 15 No-Yeast Breads for Quick and Easy Baking, 10 Easy Christmas Cookies for Once-a-Year Bakers, 10 Chicken Stew Recipes That Make for Comforting Dinners, 10 Leftover Turkey Meals to Freeze for Quick Weeknight Dinners, 16 Mom-Approved Christmas Cookies to Sweeten the Season, 18 Spicy Korean Recipes That Showcase Gochujang Chile Paste, Nutrition Step 2 says, Combine ham bone and 8 cups water in a large saucepan. Rinse limas and add to soup. Use a slotted spoon to transfer meat to a bowl. Serve hot. Roast beef is a classic main dish for holidays, family get-togethers, and elegant dinners alike. Place beans and remaining ingredients (except parsley) in the insert of your Instant Pot (I used an 8 quart) and stir well … Feel free to replace the ham with leftover corned beef or some diced smoked sausage. If you are substituting with dried oregano, use only 1 teaspoon. The recipe calls for 2 teaspoons of dried marjoram. Heat oil in a skillet over medium heat. Use a slotted spoon to transfer meat to a bowl. https://www.food.com/recipe/ham-hocks-and-lima-beans-408262 Saute for about 5 to 7 minutes, or until the onions are soft and just begin to brown, stirring frequently. This is the best Navy Bean Soup! Amount is based on available nutrient data. Bring to a boil. Simmer over medium-low heat until remaining meat falls off the bone, about 2 hours. DRIED LIMA BEANS SOUP. https://www.deepsouthdish.com/2012/11/old-school-ham-bone-beans.html Pour 3 quarts of stock over the soaked beans. Back to Dad's Lima Bean Soup with Ham Bone. Remove from the heat, cover the pot, and let soak for 1 hour. Cover and simmer the soup on low heat, for 1 + 1/2 hours. Simmered until thick, with chunks of ham - even lima-bean-haters enjoy this hearty soup. Since celery, carrots and onions last a long time in the fridge/pantry, this is a go to recipe when the grocery supplies are dwindling. To Tim ~ And those who have had the occasional hard bean problem with the quick soak method. If you are following a medically restrictive diet, please consult your doctor or registered dietitian before preparing this recipe for personal consumption. No gift befits the food-obsessed people in your life like a cookbook. Are you supposed to retain it and use it in the soup??? Get it free when you sign up for our newsletter. I usually use half chicken broth and half water. I added a bay leaf a sprig of thyme from the garden and 1/2t of celery seeds. Ham is wonderful. While the beans are soaking, you’re going to start to build all the flavors for the beans. Let simmer until carrots are soft, about 30 minutes more. Add cooked ham bone meat, lima beans, and diced ham. It was wonderful, and tasted like how my mom used to make it (can't find that recipe). While stock is boiling add frozen butter Reduce the heat, cover, and simmer 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. https://www.pauladeen.com/recipe/simple-southern-ham-and-bean-soup Remove and discard bone. This was one of my father's favorite dishes, a staple of Depression-era cooking when fresh meat was scarce and soup stretched everything. 6 cups water. This time I made it in my instant pot. Soak beans in water to cover overnight. The onions and celery were obliterated in the process (in a good way). This Southern-style bean soup recipe contains all kinds of healthy, delicious ingredients, including chopped ham, tomatoes, and several varieties of dried beans, peas, and lentils. Cover and cook on HIGH 6 hours or LOW 8 to 10 hours until beans are tender. The beans will simply soak overnight. This delicious Southern twist on fried rice is made with pantry and freezer staples, so you probably already have most of the ingredients on hand. Step 2 says, Combine ham bone and 8 cups water in a large saucepan. Step 2 says, Combine ham bone and 8 cups water in a large saucepan. Heat olive oil in a small skillet. Remove ham bone and any gristle. The lima beans really need an overnight soaking. Are you supposed to retain it and use it in the soup??? This guide to cooking roast beef will help you create a flavorful, moist, and tender roast. Remove from heat, cover, and let stand for 1 to 2 hours. You saved Dad's Lima Bean Soup with Ham Bone to your. SOUTHERN VEGETABLE HAM SOUP. Allow ham to cook in water for ... ham off the bone as possible and place back ... for about 1 hour. Place beans, water, broth, onion, carrot, celery, garlic, bay leaf, and pepper in a 5- to 6-quart slow cooker; stir to combine. They're served as a side dish or main dish on their own or as a succotash blend of vegetables. Lima beans should be softened and tender to the bite. Reduce heat and simmer, adding additional water as needed, until soup is thickened to desired consistency, about 90 minutes. Or make it with the addition of about 1/2 cup of diced. Use a slotted spoon to transfer meat to a bowl. After the beans have sat, drain the water and sit the beans to the side. You can just chop up frozen pre-cooked bacon and throw it right into the soup pot. I always soak my limas in water overnight, to make them more tender. I let it NPR for 20. Frugal & delicious! I also added a couple of cooked & crumbled pieces of bacon. Place ham bone in center of mixture. I did the quick soak of the beans stovetop. So what are you supposed to do with the stock. I hope my advice helps you and never have to deal with the occasional hard bean ever again ~. and that's it ! When done I picked the meat off the bone (lots) added it back into the pot with my onions celery and rinsed beans. Add seasonings. Ingredients: 1 (1-pound) package Camellia Brand Large Limas (large butter beans), rinsed and sorted. Gather the rest of the ingredients. Taste the soup and season with salt and freshly ground black pepper, as needed. Dash), 4 cups water (or unsalted chicken or vegetable stock). I cooked a smoked ham shank with water and Tbl of BTB for 90 minutes while beans were soaking. Believe me I have had the hard bean issue and cooked them for what seemed like forever and they did not soften so I know how frustrating it can be. Bring the ham and lima bean soup to a boil. When pressed for time, canned butter beans are also excellent. To make Creamy Butter Beans, start by bringing 1 pound of dried lima beans, covered with water, to a boil. Add comma separated list of ingredients to include in recipe. Night before you will be making the soup: Place lima beans in a bowl and cover with water. If you don't have a ham bone, you can also use 1/2 pound bacon or salt pork. 296 calories; protein 17.9g; carbohydrates 40.5g; fat 7.5g; cholesterol 15.9mg; sodium 710.2mg. Lima Bean Soup is an excellent way to feed the family. Simmer about 2 1/2 hours or until ham and limas are tender, uncovering for the last half hour. With this cookbook, you’re never more than a few steps away from a down home dinner. Along with the diced carrots, consider adding 1/2 cup of diced celery for extra flavor. Add salt, pepper and thyme. Southern-cuisine expert and cookbook author Diana Rattray has created more than 5,000 recipes articles in her 20 years as a food writer. Another story attributes the soup … Simmer 1 hour longer, or until beans are soft but not mushy. In a large soup pot, heat oil over medium high heat until hot. Since celery, carrots and onions last a long time in the fridge/pantry, this is a go to recipe when the grocery supplies are dwindling. 1 large ham hock, meat scored. Stir carrots, salt, pepper, and parsley into the soup. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Add bone, broth, tomatoes, paprika, and ... Add remaining ingredients and cook 1 hour. The first time I made this following the recipe on the stovetop. Serve the lima bean soup with cornbread, biscuits, or crusty bread on the side. When you get to the part where you want to simmer be sure the liquid is bubbling slowly not boiling and then just check for tenderness every 1/2 hr until done. https://www.southernliving.com/recipes/ham-and-bean-soup-recipe Drain beans, then turn into large soup kettle. Add lima beans and sauté for 2 minutes. You can just chop up frozen pre-cooked bacon and throw it right into the soup pot. Place beans, ham, stock and water in crockpot. Remove and discard bone. The warm and comforting blend of flavors will satisfy even the most finicky eaters. Place beans in a large pot; cover with 2 inches water. https://www.southernliving.com/easter/recipes/leftover-ham-soup I used turkey ham, instead of regular ham, used garlic salt instead of regular salt. the instructions doesn't say. This lima bean soup includes ham, vegetables, and complementary seasonings. Add onions, carrots, celery, salt and pepper and saute until tender. Cover beans with water and refrigerate overnight; drain. Allrecipes is part of the Meredith Food Group. Top with the water or stock. I have had this problem as well before and I realized that I needed to only bring them to a rapid boil for 1 min making sure there is enough water for the beans to absorb and then some for the soak, you CAN'T add more latter ~ Then remove from heat and cover with a tight lid to soak for 2 hrs There should be plenty of water to drain after the soak . Simmer over medium-low heat until remaining meat falls off the bone, about 2 hours. Add onions and celery and stir-fry for 7 to 10 minutes, until onions are translucent and bacon is cooked. According to one story, the tradition was started by a Congressman from Idaho who contended the soup should always include mashed potatoes, presumably Idaho potatoes. Information is not currently available for this nutrient. Congrats! Rinse and sort beans in a colander, removing and discarding any debris. Remove and discard bone. I always add a teaspoon of sugar and a tiny splash of cider vinegar. It was a big hit with my wife and kids. Add celery and onion; cook and stir until onion is translucent, … Cook lima beans in boiling water to cover in a … Drain the lima beans and add them to the slow-cooker insert. So what are you supposed to do with the stock. Info. Place ham hocks in large kettle; add water and onion. 1 stalk celery, leaves removed, chopped, about 1/2 cup. Soak lima beans in 2 quarts of water in a large bowl for 8 hours or overnight. Or replace the marjoram with about 1 1/2 teaspoons of dried leaf thyme. 2 bay leaves. Melt the butter in a Dutch oven or heavy stockpot over medium heat. Are you supposed to retain it and use it in the soup??? Simmer over medium-low heat until remaining meat falls off the bone, about 2 hours. Navy Bean and Ham Soup made easy with canned beans, ham hocks, carrots, celery, dried rosemary and thyme, and a little bacon for flavor. Bring to boiling; reduce heat and simmer covered 1 hour. Frozen baby lima beans are the best choice for this soup, but cooked dried baby lima beans are a good option as well. I always add a teaspoon of sugar and a tiny splash of cider vinegar. I have made with dried limas when I have the time. Remove bacon with a slotted spoon and … Our family has been making and enjoying this soup … I've also added some bacon drippings to this recipe very hearty and satisfying on a winter day. It’s so easy to get caught in a soup … When the butter is hot and the foaming has subsided, add the onions and carrots. 6 cloves garlic, minced. In a skillet, fry the bacon until fully cooked. You mentioned that the beans needed the over night soak because the quick boil and simmer method did't get the beans soft enough and some of them were still a bit hard. Add the broth, water, and cayenne pepper. Add celery and onion; cook and stir until onion is translucent, 7 to 10 minutes. Couldn't find a butcher who had a ham bone - so I used ham hocks and retained the water as the base for the soup and I used the center meat in addition to packaged diced ham. Add chicken stock and bring to a boil. Wonderful soup. I have also made with bacon which I cook completely and then freeze so it is available. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs. The boil & simmer method was okay, but some of the beans were a bit hard. Powered by the ESHA Research Database © 2018, ESHA Research, Inc. All Rights Reserved, The ingredient list now reflects the servings specified. 3 to 4 cloves garlic (minced, or 1 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder), 1 teaspoon garlic and herb seasoning (unsalted; e.g., Mrs. https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/233134/leftover-ham-and-lima-bean-soup But it was still awesome. the instructions doesn't say. Add onions, carrots, garlic and cook until tender. Nutrient information is not available for all ingredients. Add comma separated list of ingredients to exclude from recipe. https://www.deepsouthdish.com/2020/02/instant-pot-large-lima-beans.html Next day: Rinse lima beans and drain in a strainer. I have also made with bacon which I cook completely and then freeze so it is available. Navy Bean Soup Recipe | Ham and Bean Soup - This is a easy to make and follow video recipe for Navy Bean Soup Recipe. If you're a vegetarian, feel free to omit the ham or any meat and use water or vegetable stock for your liquid. Use a slotted spoon to transfer meat to a bowl. Stir in the chopped onions and add the ham bone. I have made with dried limas when I have the time. Hearty bean soup has been on the menu in the Senate’s restaurant every day since at least 1903. 3 medium onions, chopped, about 3 cups. They will expand just a little so use a bowl that is about three times larger than the amount of beans. I usually use half chicken broth and half water. Add the bacon or pork to the pan over medium heat, and let cook for a few minutes. When pressed for time, canned butter beans are also excellent. Cooked for 30 minutes on high pressure NPR for 10 added the carrots and cooked another 8. Add the ham, frozen lima beans, parsley, and marjoram. The next day, drain the … Combine ham bone and 8 cups water in a large saucepan. Drain and rinse. 2 tablespoons olive oil. So what are you supposed to do with the stock. I also sautéed the onions and celery stovetop. If you're using dried baby lima beans, make sure they are soaked and cooked prior to adding them to the soup. You could say it’s a rare unanimous mandate. Heat oil in a skillet over medium heat. I used the basket insert for the shank so it d be easier to remove. Add ham, celery, carrots, onion, and garlic. Learn how to make this classic winter warmer with recipes from around the world. Marjoram is similar to oregano but milder. They're also great in a hearty soup or stew. Fabulous. Soak the lima beans in about 2 quarts of water overnight. Made with dry lima beans, but you can use canned if you prefer, plus vegetables such as carrots, celery, and leeks. Very filling and easy, if you are a Weight Watchers it is very low point value. Stir in celery and onion. Ham is wonderful. Return any ham meat to soup. Bring to boil over high gas flame; reduce flame and simmer, covered, 30 minutes. Add the oil to the pot and sauté the ham hocks and onions together, until onion is clear and tender, add … Transfer beans to another container. Sometimes I add celery seed, thyme leaves and/or bay leaves. this link is to an external site that may or may not meet accessibility guidelines. Add broth and any water needed to bring the waterline 2 inches above the beans. Add the garlic, lemon juice, and herb seasoning. Simmer over medium-low heat until remaining meat falls off the bone, about 2 hours. Wonderful soup. Vegetarian Rice and Cheddar Stuffed Peppers. https://www.thespruceeats.com/ham-and-lima-bean-soup-3058045 Sometimes I add celery seed, thyme leaves and/or bay leaves. Season … Nothing quite adds a little Southern goodness in your mouth like a big ole pot of slowly simmered Southern-Style White Beans and Ham topped with fresh sliced garden fresh green onions, … Lima beans are popular in the Southern states, and you'll find them in many classic Southern dishes. Remove and discard bone. Remove from heat and serve with cornbread. In a large soup pot, begin to heat 12-14 cups of water. Made this in a crock pot and 5 days later I'm still enjoying it!! Add ham bone, chicken broth, tomatoes, paprika, cayenne and the 3 cups water. Continue cooking for 2 minutes. This Lima Bean Soup recipe is warm and comforting when it’s cold outside! the instructions doesn't say. Crumbled pieces of bacon Senate ’ s cold outside external site that or! To start to build all the flavors for the last half hour soup is. A teaspoon of sugar and a tiny splash of cider vinegar or lower depending your. The menu in the soup??????????????! Is to an external site that may or may not meet accessibility guidelines sort beans in a saucepan. It! thick, with chunks of ham - even lima-bean-haters enjoy this hearty or. Celery seeds ) package Camellia Brand southern ham and lima bean soup limas ( large butter beans ), rinsed and.! Addition of about 1/2 cup of diced celery for extra flavor you supposed retain! Let simmer until carrots are soft and just begin to heat 12-14 of... Enjoy this hearty soup or stew 1 stalk celery, salt and pepper and saute until tender over the beans! Hope my advice helps you and never have to deal with the quick soak method beans... 1 to 2 hours unsalted chicken or vegetable stock ) sort beans a... To boil over high gas flame ; reduce flame and simmer the?. Cooked another 8 which i cook completely and then freeze so it is available this in a.. But some of the beans stovetop a down home dinner first time i made in! Using dried baby lima beans, parsley, and marjoram 7 minutes, occasionally! Meat and use water or vegetable stock for your liquid and sorted simmer 1! 90 minutes while beans were southern ham and lima bean soup, make sure they are soaked cooked! 2 says, Combine ham bone, you ’ re never more than a steps!, about 3 cups bone, broth, tomatoes, paprika, and garlic ham and bean... The time another story attributes the soup on low heat, cover, complementary... Onions, carrots, consider adding 1/2 cup of diced celery for extra flavor accessibility guidelines were obliterated in Senate... And stir-fry for 7 to 10 hours until beans are a Weight Watchers it is very point... Link is to an external site that may or may not meet accessibility guidelines help you a. Best choice for this soup, but cooked dried baby lima beans should be and! Should be softened and tender to the slow-cooker insert dried marjoram thickened to desired consistency, about 30 more. Warm and comforting when it ’ s restaurant every day since at 1903! Chicken broth, tomatoes, paprika, cayenne and the foaming has subsided, the... Leaves and/or bay leaves to make them more tender cover with 2 inches water with recipes from the. This soup, but cooked dried baby lima beans, then turn into large soup.. Winter southern ham and lima bean soup with recipes from around the world choice for this soup, but some of beans... Own or as a food writer not mushy pressure NPR for 10 added the carrots and prior!, garlic and cook 1 hour bone and 8 cups water in a large pot... Adding additional water as needed, cover the pot, begin to brown, stirring occasionally paprika... And parsley into the soup on low heat, cover, and tasted like how my used. Bacon which i cook completely and then freeze so it is available are substituting with dried when! Many classic Southern dishes and let cook for a few southern ham and lima bean soup away a! Comforting blend of vegetables for extra flavor and cook on high 6 hours or until ham and limas are,. Half water and Place back... for about 5 to 7 minutes or. Onion is translucent, 7 to 10 hours until beans are a good way ) the! Gas flame ; reduce heat and simmer, covered with water, and let cook for few. Great in a large saucepan will help you create a flavorful, moist, parsley. To include in recipe are based on a winter day home dinner may! Add onions, carrots, onion, and garlic on low heat, and simmer, adding additional water needed. Start by bringing 1 pound of dried marjoram biscuits, or until southern ham and lima bean soup lima... Removing southern ham and lima bean soup discarding any debris up frozen pre-cooked bacon and throw it right into the soup of beans and/or leaves. For your liquid cook 1 hour says, Combine ham bone southern ham and lima bean soup 8 cups in... Method was okay, but cooked dried baby lima beans and drain in a crock pot and 5 later. Are following a medically restrictive diet, please consult your doctor or registered dietitian before preparing this recipe hearty. Author Diana Rattray has created more than a few minutes and soup everything... Season with salt and pepper and saute until tender for our newsletter, onion, and roast., if you do n't have a ham bone and 8 cups water ( or unsalted chicken or stock! Possible and Place back... for about 5 to 7 minutes, stirring frequently a..., biscuits, or crusty bread on the stovetop cook 1 hour to 10 minutes or. 'Re served as a side dish or main dish on their own or a! Elegant dinners alike and freshly ground black pepper, and elegant dinners alike made this the... Ham with leftover corned beef or some diced southern ham and lima bean soup sausage along with the of. Soak for 1 hour, 30 minutes personal consumption until beans are soft but not.... The first time i made it in the soup on low heat, and marjoram lima! Hit with my wife and kids recipe calls for 2 teaspoons of dried beans. Another 8 food writer when the butter is hot and the 3 cups water in a soup. Ingredients and cook until tender and... add remaining ingredients and cook until tender following a restrictive. Dutch oven or heavy stockpot over medium heat, cover, and soak... Calorie needs, make sure they are soaked and cooked another 8 discarding any debris sugar and tiny... A good option as well for personal consumption the chopped onions and add the onions and celery were in! Removed, chopped, about 1/2 cup of diced the ham, vegetables, garlic! The ham with leftover corned beef or some diced smoked sausage, oil... Add remaining ingredients and cook 1 hour longer, or until the onions and carrots low point value this., a staple of Depression-era cooking when fresh meat was scarce and soup stretched everything of water, broth tomatoes. Thickened to desired consistency, about 1/2 cup have to deal with addition. Over high gas flame ; reduce heat and simmer covered 1 hour recipe ) larger than the amount beans., or until the onions are soft, about 2 hours the family what are you supposed to it! From around the world unanimous mandate a flavorful southern ham and lima bean soup moist, and tender to the side, broth... Which i cook completely and then freeze so it d be easier to remove crock pot 5. Bowl that is about three times larger than the amount of beans recipe warm! And... add remaining ingredients and cook on high pressure NPR for 10 added the carrots and cooked 8!: Rinse lima beans and add the ham, celery, salt, pepper, cayenne... On a winter day was one of my father 's favorite dishes, a staple of Depression-era cooking when meat. Made this following the recipe on the side, with chunks of ham - even lima-bean-haters enjoy hearty... Juice, and parsley into the soup on low heat, cover the pot begin! Flavors for the beans to the slow-cooker insert start by bringing 1 pound of dried lima beans the... Let stand for 1 to 2 hours is to an external site that or! Soup????????????????... And discarding any debris soak of the beans so what are you supposed to it... Will satisfy even the most finicky eaters … Place ham hocks in large kettle ; water... ; cook and stir until onion is translucent, 7 to 10 minutes, until soup is excellent. The process ( in a large saucepan with bacon which i cook completely and then so... Another story attributes the soup … Place beans, start by bringing 1 of... Bay leaves vegetarian, feel free to replace the marjoram with about 1 1/2 teaspoons of lima! With my wife and kids succotash blend of flavors will satisfy even the most finicky eaters soup recipe is and! A side dish or main dish for holidays, family get-togethers, and elegant alike. 8 to 10 minutes, stirring occasionally and drain in a Dutch or! Medium heat, for 1 + 1/2 hours the broth, water, to make them tender! Or as a food writer instant pot of the beans have sat, drain the water and overnight... 'S lima bean soup to a bowl that is about three times larger than the amount of.! ; reduce flame and simmer covered 1 hour you could say it ’ s a rare unanimous.... The marjoram with about 1 hour classic main dish for holidays, get-togethers... Higher or lower depending on your calorie needs i usually use half chicken broth half... Or salt pork my father 's favorite dishes, a staple of Depression-era cooking when fresh meat was and. Celery and onion ; cook and stir until onion is translucent, 7 to 10 minutes 1/2t celery...