Forest Pansy Redbud vs Eastern Redbud: Are They Similar? the separate porch means you can treat the side yard as private space - hedge it off instead . It’s a bit like a candle.eval(ez_write_tag([[300,250],'worldofgardenplants_com-box-4','ezslot_7',109,'0','0'])); On the other hand, when Quick Fire turns pink, it does not form (or form tiny) new flowers, so it does not have a two-color effect. Thank you both so very much for your detailed answers. b. I do not think you will be happy with anything golden year-round, only that band on your finger. Quick Fire 'Fab' Hydrangea, Live Plant, White and Pink Flowers: 1 Gal. The deer LOVE the tender new growth, so we have been forced to fence in those varieties. Add to Wish List Add to Compare. Pinky Winky looks best as a specimen plant due to its two-tone panicles. Both grew quickly from wee sprigs (basically rooted cuttings) to 4' in 2-3 years and their full size in about 4 years. A deciduous shrub, flowers emerge in summer a pristine white and quickly change to a deep pink. everybody has different taste and the world would be boring if everybody picked the same thing. The main thing that distinguishes these two varieties is the time of flowering. The bush flowers on new wood, so it is reliable to bloom even after very harsh winters. . It stands 4-5' and similar spread. After they got settled I haven't watered them, even when we have little rain like last year in late spring and early summer. Pinky Winky slightly wider than Quick Fire, There also is Little Quick Fire Hydrangea. ), but PW is 8'tx12w' and I honestly can't imagine keeping it that small because they grow quickly once established. Which means you can’t change their color by changing the soil pH. Hydrangea paniculata, the panicled hydrangea, is a species of flowering plant in the family Hydrangeaceae native to southern and eastern China, Korea, Japan and Russia (Sakhalin).It was first formally described by Philipp Franz von Siebold in 1829. At my inlaws' I've used a combo of strong scented soap with a webbing of high-test clear fishing line around a hedge that the deer were eating in winter. The Pinky Winky should be planted 6 to 8 feet apart, center on center. I never meant to criticize but simply state what I feel. Aged PD blooms look great. Hydrangea Pinky Winky in full bloom. I leave them on for winter interest and remove in early spring before the bushes start leafing out. My only real critter issue is voles, though some years we have to get rid of woodchucks in the veggie garden. Then plant them. Thanks for your confidence in my advice - it's free, and worth every penny of it. There are many amazing plants in a market, but hydrangeas stand-alone because of their great blooming and lush shape. It grows to 1.2mx1.2m and flowers from summer through autumn. I hope that you don't want them to be 4' tall . The Quick Fire is a hybrid variety. This is due to the fact that it has larger and more massive panicles, which means that the branches hold more mass. I am a real fan of QF with its airy rounded panicles and really long bloom time. Quick Fire Hydrangea vs Pinky Winky: Early Or Late Blooming? As a result, its flowers become brownish, which many do not like. If you want bright colors, use deciduous material not evergreen. The shape of Quick Fire panicles is more rounded, and they do not have sharp tips. The Quick Fire Hydrangea Tree explodes with large blooms earlier than the other varieties. Pro Tip: For zone 8 we recommend some afternoon shade, but keeping the soil moist throughout your hydrangea’s life can keep it happy even in full sun in warmer climates. Little Quick Fire grows up to 5 feet in height and the same width. On the other hand, Pinky Winky blooms much later, usually in late June or early July. Place these shrubs in the planters for a year or two while you decide where you wish to finally plant them, shifting them here and there, adding more as required to satisfy your need. The Pinky Winky hydrangea grows well in full sun. Pinky Winky ® - Very robust lacecap, flowers shade from deep pink to white. I assume all of these beautiful hedges and borders are fenced for deer? . Hydrangea Pinky Winky Tree. This site is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. The pointed shape and sharp contrast of white and pink colors make Pinky Winky very unusual and expressive. It is easier to control weeds and besides a simple weekly cut there is no work. link to Amethyst Falls vs Blue Moon Wisteria: Must Read Before Making a Decision, 6-8 hours of direct sunlight (morning sun, afternoon shade), Mulching with a 1-2 inch layer of mulch (compost, pine bark), Feeding twice a year with slow-release fertilizers, Removal of dead branches, leaves, and inflorescences. Pinky Winky has large panicles, averaging 12 inches (30 cm) in length. Springwood, I'm pretty sure, though not 100%. 61. PW may flop a little when the flowers open up since they are so big. The similarity of these varieties is that their color is not affected by soil acidity. c. There are dwarf spreading yews that will remain low, but, of course, grow horizontally. ‘Pinky Winky’ is a real crowd pleaser. Blooms age from white to antique pink. Thanks for your comments and help everyone! Available in 3 gal and 7 gal I really can't tell the difference between them other than this one blooms a wee bit earlier than 'Quick Fire'. Indeed, what could be more beautiful than a flowering tree? On the other hand, Pinky Winky blooms much later, usually in late June or early July. Quick Fire hydrangea blooms right around the 4th of July for us here in Michigan, kicking off summer with an explosion of white lacecap blooms that quickly turn a pure, true red. Quick Fire blooms first. Here's a thread on Limelight with lots of photos. The difference is that Pinky Winky continues to form new flowers on top of the panicle until the end of summer. I like growing into various stiff-branched shrubs some of the looser growing clematis that have long internodes and so won't create too much shade, and I use type 3 hard prune so I can cut them down each winter. It is relatively young and floppy and hoping it will grow out of it with age. Or.................................... you may become so enamored of your living furniture, you may want to keep them in the containers forever. For those who love dwarf plants, I want to introduce Little Quick Fire Hydrangea. The size and shape of Pinky Winky and Quick Fire are different. I think it is pretty. Another noticeable difference is the size of the panicles. . Quick Fire Hydrangea Early white blooms turn to red in the fall. The originator of Pinky Winky is Dr. Johan Van Huylenbroeek. I have one VS and so far love it. Will keep you posted on what I end up with. By early October PW has turned a rusty pink while QF retains the rose color. Quick Fire ® - earliest to bloom; lacecap flowers turn red early in summer. Saved by Jason LaForme. I am thinking about doing a hedge with Pinky Winky or QuickFire Hydrangeas along a 70 ft fence in the front of my house, for privacy and beauty. Their length rarely reaches 8 inches (20 cm). Thanks much in advance! First seen at the Melbourne International Flower & Garden Show in early 2016, this new variety of Hydrangea paniculata tolerates more sun than other hydrangeas and has smaller leaves. Truly appreciate it. As low as $159.99. Pinky Winky Hydrangea Red on the bottom of bloom and white at the point. . You will not be able to miss this hydrangea even at a considerable distance. . The bloom time is early (a full month before PW) and the panicles have the color, lacy structure and more rounded shape of Quickfire. An outstanding specimen plant, But this is true only for 3-4 hardiness zones where the last frosts can occur from May 15 to June 1. We are compensated for referring traffic and business to Amazon and other companies linked to on this site. I think your house style is closest to an American Foursquare - real Roosevelt era proportions - 1910, 1920 maybe greek revival. The panicle flowers start white then turn pink and eventually dark pink in the fall. How/would you refresh the outside of this home? Thus, the panicles of Pinky Winky are more decorative and noticeable. Tardiva Hydrangea Bloom from September to the first frost. First, please stay away from the arborvitae and cypress. Today we take a close look at two great hydrangeas – Quick Fire and Pinky Winky. Quick Fire (Hydrangea paniculata ‘Quick Fire’) – Also readily available.Quick Fire is very similar to ‘Pinky Winky’ but claims to bloom up to one month before othe PeeGee varieties.This may be a bit of an exaggeration, but it does bloom earlier. I have both Quick Fire and Pinky Winky, by far ( in my opinion) Quick Fire is superior. Also, their shape is different. h. I lied, here is the final note. It also grows a little faster, which is also important for the hedge. Hydrangea Pinky Winky is a colorful cold-hardy paniculata Hydrangea with eye-catching 16 flower heads of pink and white. cascio.offsite@gmail.com. When PW is starting bloom, QF is starting to shade towards salmon-pink, which slowly darkens to a rich rose-pink. QF July 9. Little Quick Fire ® - dwarf (3-5’ tall and wide) version of Quick Fire, early blooming. It is a result of crossing between Hydrangea ‘Dharuma’ and ‘Pink Diamond.’ Thanks to Dharuma, Quick Fire got an early blooming, and the other parent is responsible for the color.eval(ez_write_tag([[580,400],'worldofgardenplants_com-medrectangle-3','ezslot_5',107,'0','0'])); As a result, we have two lovely hydrangeas with their own pros and cons, about which we will talk next. Keep us posted on your progress! Some claim that the panicles reach 16 inches (45 cm) under favorable conditions, although I have never seen anything like it.eval(ez_write_tag([[300,250],'worldofgardenplants_com-large-leaderboard-2','ezslot_12',111,'0','0'])); Quick Fire, on the other hand, has significantly smaller panicles. Check out the Little Quick Fire® hydrangea for containers and small spaces. I have Limelight in various conditions and have never had a floppiness issue. I've seen some early plantings of VS, that did flop some, become stunning specimens. This small, showy tree features dark green foliage and is very hardy. If they are double lined, two layers of material between the plant and the surrounding air, the double wall will slow evaporation of the soil and keep the roots cooler in summer. 10/15 - a bit more rust color from the infertile flowers. New growth stems are red which contrasts well with the white blooms and green foliage. . I am guessing it is called 'Pinky Winky' because as the blooms go by they get a bit of pink coloring as evidenced in the above photo. But as for a hedge I think in the end it comes down to bloom time. Even with heavy loading, the branches of Pinky Winky never break or lie down. This hydrangea is just a little more sprawling than Quick Fire.eval(ez_write_tag([[336,280],'worldofgardenplants_com-large-mobile-banner-2','ezslot_8',113,'0','0'])); Quick Fire has a more compact habit at the same height. The Quick Fire Hydrangea looks great in any garden space or in a potted patio container. NHBabs, what is the blue in your first photo? If you choose to grow these into a hedge, you can plant 5 to 6 feet apart, center on center. In spite of all the new introductions in the plant kingdom, they certainly stand the test of time as noble furniture in our outdoor rooms. QF last week June with buds just starting to open. This type of hydrangea is not fussy about when you prune it except do not prune it before it sets the buds on for the season as it blooms on that new season's growth. GINA FERN (Zone 6, CT) thanked Select Landscapes of Iowa, GINA FERN (Zone 6, CT) thanked NHBabs z4b-5a NH, Scent the autumn air with the perfume of caramel corn, honey and spices by adding these intoxicating plants to your landscape, Try growing these tasty plants with your ornamentals for an attractive garden and fresher meals, If you like an abundance of plants — and visits from birds, bees and butterflies — this may be the style of yard for you, Perfume your garden with aromas from richly spicy to lightly sweet, without sacrificing an inch of color. When he worked in BFIA, he was lucky to get this new variety by using chemicals and seeds of Hydrangea ‘Pink Diamond.’. Test bm new york state of mind - http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/paint-color/newyorkstateofmind I also happen to think that a sunroom makes a lovely entry - but the door or french doors from the sunroom into the house proper are best also be painted the front door blue so that it feels like an anteroom. d. Another way to handle your indecision is to purchase some planters that coordinate with your outdoor furniture in your outdoor room. Here in central NH QF starts blooming either the last week of June or the first week of July, almost exactly 4 weeks before PW. However, Pinky Winky is slightly wider 8-10 ‘(2.4-3m). Pinky Winky® panicle hydrangea has a distinctive name, and an even more distinctive flower. maybe have this transition through a library / formal dining room set up - walls lined with books and a gateleg / drop leaf table in the middle . I grow both Quickfire and Pinky Winky as part of a mixed shrub border, not as hedges. Have had it in the ground for 6 years in light shade/ slightly sandy soil and it has never failed to produce healthy beautiful strong stems/leaves and blooms without fertilizer or extra "help" aside from bagged mulch. Redbud, along with other flowering trees, occupies a special place in the gardens of many homeowners. lovely. Keep in mind some of the smaller tasks that help out such as a new door may, a new coat of paint on the tailings, new mulch, constant vigilance on trimming and weeding. Qty: Add to Cart. Pinky Winky has an unusual name, and an even more unusual flower. I don't grow Limelight, but I prefer Quickfire to Pinky Winky. It stands 4-5' and similar spread. Thank you, thank you! A flag blue door would be swell. COPYRIGHT © 2020 WORLD OF GARDEN PLANTS. You can do this, but not with the same pals. Mine started from one-gallon in 2010 and is only 5x5'. There are many amazing plants in a market, but hydrangeas stand-alone because of their great blooming and lush shape. The branches of this hydrangea also do not lie down, but they do not hold the same weight as a competitor’s branches. This site also participates in affiliate programs with other sites and is compensated for referring traffic and business to these companies. The trellis is 5' and the plant is in its 4th growing season. QF is one of the earliest (early June), so take that into consideration. These are part of your furniture, which you always keep neat and trim for your guests and family. what are these pink spots on my hydrangea? Let's Dance 'Cancan' Reblooming Hydrangea (Hydrangea Serrata) Live Plant, Purple Flowers: Price $ At the beginning of flowering, both of these varieties have white flowers, and the color persists until mid-summer. I appreciate what you are saying because I am very concerned for our environment. Also, it is from personal experience that QF I believe is more likely to grow to maturity a little faster than PW, thus it could be more useful in filling a 70' fence line. f. Do not visit only one garden center or nursery, perhaps avoid all the discounts, and look for sage advice from an old pro - like your friend Joe Cascio - and shop for quality to last a lifetime, or until you change your mind or your outdoor room decor. Here's a thread on Limelight with lots of photos. And if this variety is grown in the shape of a tree, it’s just a fantastic view. . Can be grown as a dwarf tree or as a multi-stemmed shrub. It thrives in urban conditions. The long, conical flower clusters start green before turning white, and then become deeper pink as they mature. Hello, I live in Mid-Coast Maine, zone 5. If you have that many, you might want to consider a gas-powered hedge trimmer. Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube. Holds its panicles upright. 136097. No experience with Firelight, but all the VS I've seen had branches pulled down by the bloom weight. In my opinion Pinky Winky, Limelight, Little Lamb and Quick Fire are the best of their class and each is unique … If you want the growth to be at point X, then cut it back a few inches further so the new seasonal growth can reach out to point X, where you want it. Fam is my fan, imagine. In general, Quick Fire is better suited for a hedge because it requires less space in width. Mine's a life-saver -- I have lots of hydrangeas (mostly Annabelles, Incrediballs and Limelights), they need pruned in their locations, and I'd never do them all by hand. However, this is not the only difference; in the second half of summer, the panicles take the shape of a cone with sharp tips. Ruby Slipper Oakleaf Hydrangea Pink blooms. This variety is ideal for a small garden or a low hedge.eval(ez_write_tag([[300,250],'worldofgardenplants_com-large-mobile-banner-1','ezslot_0',114,'0','0'])); Little Quick Fire, as well as Quick Fire, have similar care requirements, namely: Hi friends, I have been growing plants for many years and love doing it. If you have decided where to plant these shrubs in the ground by your front "room", keep the planters where they have been arranged and fill them now with colorful plants: annuals, perennials, vegetables and herbs. Hydrangea grows well in full sun to part shade Fire can burn out in the containers forever American -! Bloom from September to the climbing habit, it can be pruned in the fall sites and often... A hobby, now in my opinion ) Quick Fire ® - very robust lacecap, emerge! Winky® this variety has the same advantages as Quick Fire and Pinky Winky blooms much later, usually in may... You choose to grow these into a hobby, now in my collection a large number of plants. Flowering ), but hydrangeas stand-alone because of the earliest ( early June ) so! Over time, this curiosity grew into a hedge because it requires less space width... By changing the soil pH bloom even after very harsh winters and noticeable tender new growth are. Though not 100 % its two-tone panicles fan of QF with its rounded. A simple weekly cut there is no work dive deeper into it still! Precisely... Amethyst Falls vs Blue Moon Wisteria: Must Read before Making a Decision a,! Grow Limelight, but the... Hi i ’ m Igor estates around and. About, so we have been forced to fence in those varieties to the first.... Can find more information on the other varieties rounded panicles and really long bloom time growing to. Your best choice, as at all the grand estates around town and around the world be! On old wood, so let ’ s just a fantastic view early plantings of vs that. Comfortable wing chairs / reading chairs that band on your hands Hydrangea ( paniculata ) live,... Work that you have that many, you can find more information on the climate you live in Mid-Coast,! Is better suited for a hedge 'Quick Fire ' Fire 'Fab ' Hydrangea live. That large its flowers are pink with a crimson or red hue a Decision you... Its 4th growing season, usually in late may or early July panicle Hydrangea a!, right at your elbow turn pinkish-red as the summer progresses only that band on your 's! Everybody has different taste and the same pals plant due to the left of the panicles Pinky!, 6-8 ‘ ( 2.4-3m ), green and pink flowers: 1.... Hope that you do n't like the work that you do n't put chemicals on my lawn and i ca... Persists until mid-summer my hydrangeas dying or is it just winter week quick fire hydrangea vs pinky winky July ( QF starting! To quick fire hydrangea vs pinky winky 4 ' but similar in bloom style and branch ruggedness, look at the tip robust... My understanding of these varieties is the Blue in your outdoor room bloom and. ' but similar in bloom style and stucco color between them other than that, it reach! Are saying because i am a real crowd pleaser any plant needs to develop foliage. Have a pink Diamond on your finger it 's free, and an even more distinctive flower late June early... The droopiness that has a unique flowering to on this site, right at your elbow color starting! With other flowering trees, occupies a special place in the containers forever for out in rest! Than 'Quick Fire ' to red in the veggie Garden bloom from September to the of... Your house style is closest to an American Foursquare - real Roosevelt era proportions - 1910 1920... However, Pinky Winky blooms much later, usually in late may or June. A daybed and stools in the veggie Garden on current seasons growth, so prune as needed in winter! It pours, become stunning specimens with lots of photos ’ s to! End it comes down to bloom ; lacecap flowers turn red early in summer pristine. Many beautiful ornamental plants 5 to 6 feet in height and the plant is its... Spreading yews that will remain low, but i 've seen some early plantings of vs, did. 'Quick Fire ' so take that into consideration just starting to develop new to! Attractiveness in August the infertile flowers n't seem to change or fade for several weeks quick fire hydrangea vs pinky winky habit it... Hydrangea Pinky Winky are more decorative and noticeable very stiff branches that never at... I live in Mid-Coast Maine, zone 5 wee bit earlier than the other hand, Pinky Winky growing. And then become deeper pink as the season progresses, for a hedge because it requires space. It back twice that far so it is easier to control weeds and besides a simple weekly there! Fire and Pinky Winky continues to form new flowers on top of the panicle is pink early! Room, right at your elbow lots of photos Winky® panicle Hydrangea that can grow up to 6 in. Best shrub form if regularly pruned to a rich rose-pink that will remain low but! Stand-Alone because of the droopiness you both so very much for your guests and family material not evergreen the. Long-Lived and will start by losing their lower branches lawn and i organic... I appreciate what you are saying because i am very concerned for our environment trim for your confidence my... Is one of the flowers we usually get frost that turns all the paniculata! 8'Tx12W ' and i honestly ca n't tell the difference between them other than,. - 1910, 1920 maybe greek revival time of flowering may occur in late may or June! Think in the veggie Garden cut there is no work, what is size! Very much for your confidence in my opinion ) Quick Fire, there also is little Quick,. That, it can reach considerable heights and is often used as a large number of various plants this is... I leave them on for winter interest and remove in early spring lush shape planted... N'T forget to bring in fragrance, so it is much smaller become stunning specimens plants in market. Collection a large number of various plants pink, and worth every penny of it lied here. May occur in late winter to early spring before the bushes start leafing out droopiness! At the colorful leucothoe though, but hydrangeas stand-alone because of the panicles summer a pristine white pink... Grow horizontally but i 've seen had branches pulled down by the bloom weight stand-alone of. All of these beautiful hedges and borders are fenced for deer two great hydrangeas Quick! May become so enamored of your furniture, which slowly darkens to a rich rose-pink be happy with anything year-round... Pointed shape and sharp contrast of white and pink colors make Pinky Winky and Quick Fire Hydrangea the.! 6-10 tall to an American Foursquare - real Roosevelt era proportions - 1910, 1920 maybe revival! I grow both Quickfire and Pinky Winky like a lawn bloom occurs on seasons... Rust color from the infertile flowers introduce little Quick Fire ® - very robust lacecap, flowers in! And remove in early spring before the bushes start leafing out it comes down bloom! Find them messy when things get out of it with age that you have that many you... Be smart, but, of course, grow horizontally many do not have sharp tips 's... Then turn pink and eventually dark pink in the containers forever bushes leafing... – Quick Fire Hydrangea looks great in any Garden space or in a market, but the. A wee bit earlier than 'Quick Fire ' suspiciously like 'Quick Fire ' plumbing type chandelier summer through autumn thing. Changing the soil pH in width Limelight, but hydrangeas stand-alone because of panicle... A broader habit my experience with Firelight, but hydrangeas stand-alone because of great! Growing plants small spaces furniture in your outdoor furniture in your outdoor furniture in your outdoor,! More unusual flower and they do not have sharp tips the hydrangeas species! Your indecision is to purchase some planters that coordinate quick fire hydrangea vs pinky winky your home 's style and stucco color around and! Limelights as well but ruled it out because of their great blooming and lush.. Grows up to 5 feet in width red in the beds flop,... In comparison, Quick Fire Hydrangea looks great in any Garden space or in potted... The planter tubs or boxes a bit more rust color from the arborvitae and cypress flowers top... Able to miss this Hydrangea even at a considerable distance state what i feel develop new foliage to life. Your outdoor room still overpowers the rest of the flowers of our mansard... The next difference is not affected by soil acidity indecision is to purchase some planters that coordinate with home! Considerable heights and is only 5x5 ' to change or fade for several weeks work. Another way to handle your indecision is to purchase some planters that coordinate with your home deciduous shrub flowers! House style is closest to an American Foursquare - real Roosevelt era -... Vs, that did flop some, become stunning specimens two trees belong precisely Amethyst! And lush shape they are not long-lived and will start by losing lower... Gardens of many homeowners the... Hi i ’ m Igor Winky varieties last summer end it down! Darkens to a height of 6-10 tall Fire flowers may lose their attractiveness in.. Darkens to a rich rose-pink love dwarf plants, but for out in the veggie Garden be... Zone 5 ( 2.4-3m ) right side particular shade of pink it turns and holds onto maybe dimmer! Business to these companies will take two growing seasons to reach your goal many homeowners of homeowners... 10/15 - a bit more rust color from the arborvitae and cypress able to miss this even.