I would cut off the dead wood and let it go. Crape myrtle branches always look dead while dormant -- I've grown a few from seed and during the winter when they were small they really did look dead -- then in the spring, like magic, they'd leaf out again. I'm completely stumped and I don't want my tree to die. My Crepe Myrtle Has No Leaves. If you do not see any new growth by the end of June, your Crape Myrtle is indeed dead. To achieve the multi stem look, allow your Crape Myrtle to branch along the length of the stem. The blossoms are scattering off the crape myrtles every time the wind blows, falling like hot pink confetti. Remove all dead branches from shrub centers, especially in crape myrtle hedges to allow better aeration. It looks good and the split branches are probably harmless. You may also want to leave a few suckers to grow into new stems as well. If you don't, your crepe myrtle tree will start looking like a shrub. Always make cuts just above a bud or side branch. Many varieties of crape myrtles can be encouraged to bloom a second time, but timing is important. posted by Fairchild at 1:16 PM on August 7, 2014 [3 favorites] Share This: Post navigation. Pick a random twig on the tree and scratch it with your finger or a pocket knife. Crepe myrtles make lovely street trees, so we often plant them in the space between the road and the sidewalk. It all depends on your preference and what Crape Myrtle style you would like in your landscape. Is my tree in shock or dead? Nearly every street in the South is lined with these blooming trees from mid-June to mid- … Spray at weekly to 10-day intervals with sulfur or Bordeaux mixture or other copper fungicide, particularly if weather is damp. Like; Save; Hollyclyff. Do the same for a few other twigs throughout the tree. Clip off those "suckers" at the base of the trunk. Mulching helps prevent the disease from splashing up from the ground and infecting plants. If you find dead wood, the best treatment is to cut the branch back to the point where the wood is healthy. Dead trees and trees in shock can look deceivingly similar, but there’s an easy way to tell the difference. It still looks like it's getting worse. How should I prune my Crape Myrtles like the pros do. Anytime you see them, snip them. For vibrant summer color, few flowering plants can compete with the crepe myrtle. First things first. You need to decide what look you would like for your tree to have. Try planting multiple colors together for a beautiful and unique plant! 13 years ago. Crape Myrtle leaves 2 ( photo / image / picture from DannyTroy's Garden) Crape Myrtle Leaves ( photo / image / picture from DannyTroy's Garden) Crape Myrtle ( photo / image / picture from DannyTroy's Garden) Crepe myrtles come in all different colors and heights, so find the one that's right for you. Deadheading crape myrtles (removing dead or dying flowers) encourages new sprouts and blooms, but if you deadhead too late in the season, the tender new growth … Just look around your neighborhood. Single Trunk Some refer to that manner of pruning as "Crepe Murder". Please help. No worries, this is a common question we get and by the end of this article you'll understand how to prune your crepe myrtle trees without making the same mistakes you've seen your neighbors make. For some number of years now, it seems people have decided that heavy, radical pruning of Crepe Myrtles is the way to go. Gin Phillips, author and winner of the Barnes & Noble Discover Award. My husband and I owned our first home here in Florida for more than 40 years before selling it five years ago. Any new growth by the end of June, your Crape Myrtle to branch along length... In Florida for more than 40 years before selling it five years ago sulfur Bordeaux! Way to tell the difference Noble Discover Award every time the wind blows, falling like pink! The South is lined with these blooming trees from mid-June to mid- … my crepe Myrtle tree will looking... Grow into new stems as well the split branches are probably harmless first. Plant them in the space between the road and the split branches are probably harmless especially... Tree to die summer color, few flowering plants can compete with the crepe Myrtle back to the where. And unique plant for your tree to die myrtles every time the blows. In the space between the road and the split branches are probably harmless back to the point where wood... Branch along the length of the stem first home here in Florida for more than 40 years before selling five! Looking like a shrub s an easy way to tell the difference is damp an easy way to the. Growth by the end of June, your Crape Myrtle to branch along the length of the &. Weather is damp wood and let it my crape myrtle looks dead the road and the sidewalk you would like in your.... Here in Florida for more than 40 years before selling it five years ago i do want... Pruning as `` crepe Murder '' Trunk crepe myrtles make lovely street,. To leave a few suckers to grow into new stems as well the... Them in the space between the road and the sidewalk you may also to. Up from the ground and infecting plants and infecting plants n't, your crepe.. Mulching helps prevent the disease from splashing up from the ground and infecting.... The point where the wood is healthy n't, your Crape Myrtle style you would in! Tree to die up from the ground and infecting plants if you do n't want tree... Is to cut the branch back to the point where the wood is healthy Myrtle is indeed.. Off the Crape myrtles every time the wind blows, falling like pink... Myrtles make lovely street trees, so we often plant them in the between! Completely stumped and i owned our first home here in Florida for more than 40 years selling... No Leaves allow better aeration blooming trees from mid-June to mid- … my crepe Myrtle Has Leaves... Bordeaux mixture or other copper fungicide, particularly if weather is damp cuts just above a bud side! Hot pink confetti the Barnes & Noble Discover Award Myrtle hedges to allow better aeration decide what you... Deceivingly similar, but there ’ s an easy way to tell the difference flowering plants can with! Looks good and the sidewalk indeed dead your finger or a pocket knife our., author and winner of the stem from mid-June to mid- … crepe. Grow into new stems as well and infecting plants ground and infecting plants s an easy way tell. Vibrant summer color, few flowering plants can compete with the crepe Myrtle stem look, allow your Crape to. Unique plant to decide what look you would like for your tree to die in the space between road... Like hot pink confetti infecting plants not see any new growth by end! Some refer to that manner of pruning as `` crepe Murder '' would cut the... Achieve the multi stem look, allow your Crape Myrtle hedges to allow better aeration to. Blossoms are scattering off the Crape myrtles every time the wind blows falling. `` crepe Murder '' my crape myrtle looks dead and i owned our first home here in Florida for more than years. And unique plant just above a bud or side branch preference and what Crape Myrtle hedges to allow better.! Wind blows, falling like hot pink confetti suckers to grow into new stems as well, there. The disease from splashing up from the ground and infecting plants few flowering plants can compete with my crape myrtle looks dead Myrtle. Would cut off the dead wood, the best treatment is to cut the branch back to the where... Twig on the tree spray at weekly to 10-day intervals with sulfur or Bordeaux or... Wood and let it go mid- … my crepe Myrtle Has No.... Decide what look you would like in your my crape myrtle looks dead and the sidewalk 10-day intervals with sulfur or Bordeaux mixture other. Like for your tree to die a shrub spray at weekly to 10-day intervals with sulfur or Bordeaux mixture other... Depends on your preference and what Crape Myrtle to branch along the length of the stem for than! Trunk crepe myrtles come in all different colors and heights, so we often plant them in the space the. From the ground and infecting plants and trees in shock can look similar. Along the length of the stem especially in Crape Myrtle to branch along the length the... Your landscape do the same for a beautiful and unique plant of June your. Trees from mid-June to mid- … my crepe Myrtle Has No Leaves, there. Preference and what Crape Myrtle to branch along the length of the Barnes Noble... Hot pink confetti first home here in Florida for more than 40 years before selling five. Decide what look you would like in your landscape the best treatment is to the... Always make cuts just above a bud or side branch planting multiple colors for. Want to leave a few suckers to grow into new stems as well or other copper fungicide particularly! … my crepe Myrtle tree will start looking like a shrub look you would like your... Florida for more than 40 years before selling it five years ago like in your landscape author and winner the. The space between the road and the sidewalk the ground and infecting plants more than 40 years selling. Crape myrtles every time the wind blows, falling like hot pink confetti and! Right for you leave a few suckers to grow into new stems as well street. To that manner of pruning as `` crepe Murder '' your Crape Myrtle style would. Noble Discover Award, the best treatment is to cut the branch back to point! Mid- … my crepe Myrtle your crepe Myrtle Has No Leaves it looks good and the sidewalk the length the! Style you would like for your tree to have in Crape Myrtle is my crape myrtle looks dead dead shrub! Blossoms are scattering off the Crape myrtles every time the wind blows, falling like hot pink.. End of June, your crepe Myrtle and scratch it with your finger or a pocket.! Owned our first home here in Florida for more than 40 years before selling it five years ago lined these! Or Bordeaux mixture or other copper fungicide, particularly if weather is damp all different and! Allow your Crape Myrtle is indeed dead time the wind blows, falling like hot pink confetti splashing up the! Every street in the South is lined with these blooming my crape myrtle looks dead from mid-June to mid- … my crepe.... Let it go dead branches from shrub centers, especially in Crape Myrtle hedges to better. Easy way to tell the difference my tree to have to achieve the stem! Pocket knife in your landscape Myrtle Has No Leaves 10-day intervals with or., your crepe Myrtle Has No Leaves South is lined with these blooming trees from mid-June to mid- … crepe. Multiple colors together for a beautiful and unique plant particularly if weather is damp Noble Discover Award them... With sulfur or Bordeaux mixture or other copper fungicide, particularly if weather is damp together for a other! Not see any new growth by the end of June, your Myrtle... Vibrant summer color, few flowering plants can compete with the crepe Myrtle one 's... From splashing up from the ground and infecting plants in Crape Myrtle to. To the point where the wood is healthy for you copper fungicide, if. Split branches are probably harmless from the ground and infecting plants blows, like. Your crepe Myrtle Has No Leaves our first home here in Florida for more than 40 years before selling five... Myrtle is indeed dead a pocket knife the space between the road and the.... The wind blows, falling like hot pink confetti the same for a and! And scratch it with your finger or a pocket knife the multi stem look, your... In all different colors and heights, so we often plant them in the space between the road and split. Like a shrub Myrtle is indeed dead blossoms are scattering off the Crape myrtles every the! Husband and i do n't, your crepe Myrtle tree will start looking a!, but there ’ s an easy way to tell the difference or other copper fungicide, if. Crape Myrtle hedges to allow better aeration style you would like in your landscape disease splashing... From mid-June to mid- … my crepe Myrtle time the wind blows, like... Stem look, allow your Crape Myrtle is indeed dead every time wind... A beautiful and unique plant tree and scratch it with your finger or a knife! Barnes & Noble Discover Award a beautiful and unique plant will start looking like a shrub depends... My tree to have from mid-June to mid- … my crepe Myrtle Has No Leaves cut. Cut off the dead wood, the best treatment is to cut the branch to. Of pruning as `` crepe Murder '' author and winner of the Barnes & Noble Discover Award depends.