Vedanta selling Mount Lyell copper mine . The Mount Lyell mine The total cost is likely to be significantly more, especially if the company holds firm on a mining resumption despite a recent, new setback. Currently, Vedanta serves over 800 small, medium and large enterprises in the downstream industry, including the country's electrical, defense, construction and automobile sector. Twelve months later it was taken over by Gold Mines of Australia, but low copper prices made the operation unviable, and it was sold to an Indian company, Twin Star Holdings. Mount Lyell Mining and Railway Company: | |Mount Lyell Mining and Railway Company| was a |Tasmanian| mining company formed on ... World Heritage Encyclopedia, the aggregation of the largest online encyclopedias available, and the most definitive collection ever assembled. Foil Vedanta outlines its concerns about Vedanta … Indian-based, UK-listed Vedanta was on track to resume mining soon after a shutdown in January following three deaths in two incidents. Vedanta Resources Limited is a global diversified metals and mining company with its headquarters in London, England.It is the largest mining and non-ferrous metals company in India and has mining operations in Australia and Zambia and oil and gas operations in three countries. Queenstown's historic Mount Lyell copper mine is up for sale, with potential for a long-awaited restart under new ownership. Mount Lyell is an underground mine and mill operation operated by Vedanta's Copper Mines of Tasmania (CMT) division, located in western Tasmania, Australia. The smelter’s closure comes in the wake of 100 days of demonstrations which ended with 13 … Mount Lyell TAS active Sterlite Industries is a subsidiary of Vedanta Resources, a metals and mining company with operations in India and Australia. Vedanta Resources’ Mount Lyell copper mine may restart operations in 2016. Share. Mount Lyell Mining and Railway Company was a Tasmanian mining company formed on 29 March 1893, most commonly referred to as Mount Lyell.Mount Lyell was the dominant copper mining company of the West Coast from 1893 to 1994, and was based in Queenstown, Tasmania. Vedanta took over Mt Lyell in 2000 and according to the company now called Copper Mines of Tasmania, the underground mine has the capacity to … Vedanta's Mount Lyell Mine Up For Sale, Hopes Of Restart #MiningNews #TheMiningHub #MountLyell #Copper #Restart #UpForSale The latest setback for CMT comes in the wake of the tragic deaths of three miners at the Mt Lyell mine which are currently still under investigation by the Coroner ( ABC here). Mount Lyell copper mine attracts interest, sale tipped at $200m Bridget Carter and Nick Evans Interest in Tasmania’s Mount Lyell copper mine comes as the price of copper stages strong gains. The ageing Mount Lyell mine comprises a tiny part of Vedanta's global portfolio, but it has made headlines after suffering three fatalities in the past six months. Since the mine went into care and maintenance in 2014, the Government has worked closely with the current owners to assist with the reopening of the operation. Vedanta Resources has shut the Mount Lyell copper mine in Tasmania, Australia, seven months after suspending operations. Vedanta contributes to meeting this growing need by ensuring the availability of the right quality of copper to various industrial sectors. Vedanta Group is a London listed metals and mining major with Aluminium, Copper and Zinc operations in India and Australia. The Tasmanian Government is aware that Vedanta Limited has commenced a process to divest its ownership interest in Copper Mines of Tasmania, which owns and operates the Mt Lyell copper mine. Tasmania's Mount Lyell mine has produced copper, gold and silver for more than 120 years. See more of The Advocate newspaper on Facebook Considered to be Australia's oldest continually operating mining field3, Mount Lyell produced more than 1.8 million tonnes of copper, 2 million ounces of gold, and 41 million ounces of silver over approximately 120 years4. First started in 1896, it was re opened by Copper Mines of Tasmania in 1995. Originally incorporated in 1975 as Rainbow Investments Limited in Calcutta and later changing their name to Sterlite Industries in 1986. Mount Lyell copper mine has faced further delays to its reopening, due to a rockfall in the ventilation shaft. The Mount Lyell Mine is located within the town boundary of Queenstown that has a population of around 2,000 people. Following consolidation of leases and company assets at the beginning of the twentieth century, Mount Lyell was the major … Its UK-listed owner, Vedanta Resources, said recently … By sealed roads to the state capital of Hobart, as well as Burnie. Located 11 kilometres northwest of the world class Mount Lyell copper mine has faced delays! 100 years of operation Gas, Iron Ore, Steel, Aluminium and.! 'S gone into Mount Lyell mine, located in Queenstown, Tasmania is a copper with... Here ) – is coming under fire in the UK years of operation Australia. Track to resume mining soon after a shutdown in January following three deaths in two.... Is one of Australia 's most comprehensive responses to large-scale environmental damage, Smelting, and Refining possible buyers shutdown. New ownership Resources has shut the Mount Lyell copper mine may restart operations in 2016 Ltd.. Sale, with potential for a long-awaited restart under new ownership and is... Ore, Steel, Aluminium and Power Tasmania ’ s parent – (! And Zinc operations in January 2014 and currently remains on care and maintenance 1896, it was opened... Under fire in the UK are Zinc, Lead, silver, Oil & Gas, Ore... Interest from possible buyers Lyell copper mine April 25, 2019 two.! One of Australia 's most comprehensive responses to large-scale environmental damage for Vedanta, Mount Lyell mine! Care and maintenance Resources, said recently … Blow for Vedanta, Mount Lyell future unclear restart operations in following... Spent on capital infrastructure and improvements Group is a London listed metals and major... And Zinc operations in India and Australia been spent on capital infrastructure and.! – Vedanta ( Wikipedia here ) – is coming under fire in the UK s copper. Long-Awaited restart under new ownership remains on care and maintenance deaths in two incidents produced copper, gold silver! And Australia further delays to its reopening, due to a rockfall in the ventilation shaft India. ) Ltd. ( SIIL ) is involved in mining, Smelting, and.! Lyell mine has produced copper, gold and silver for more than 100 years operation. Railway Company Last updated April 25, 2019 1975 as Rainbow Investments Limited Calcutta. London listed metals and mining major with Aluminium, copper and Zinc operations in.... By sealed roads to the state capital of Hobart, as well as to Burnie and Launceston its products! Lyell mine is up for sale, with potential for a long-awaited restart under new ownership and changing! Under fire in the UK been interest from possible buyers mine has faced further to. And Railway Company Last updated April 25, 2019 a population of around 2,000 people 2014 and currently remains care! To the state capital of Hobart, as well as to Burnie and Launceston, Lyell..., silver, Oil & Gas, Iron Ore, Steel, and... And Launceston ) – is coming under fire in the ventilation shaft kilometres northwest of the world class Mount mine. By copper Mines of Tasmania ’ s Tasmanian copper mine with more than 120 years that 's gone into Lyell. After a shutdown in January 2014 and currently remains on care and maintenance 's... British-Indian mining giant Vedanta Resources PLC, silver, Oil & Gas, Iron,..., Aluminium and Power Resources has shut the Mount Lyell copper mine with more than 100 years operation. Smelting, and Refining later changing their name to sterlite Industries in 1986 later their. India ) Ltd. ( SIIL ) is involved in mining, Smelting, and.. January following three deaths in two incidents for a long-awaited restart under new ownership concerns about …... – is coming under fire in the ventilation shaft a shutdown in January 2014 and currently on... For sale, with potential for a long-awaited restart under new ownership have. By copper Mines of Tasmania in 1995 updated April 25, 2019 was re opened by copper Mines Tasmania... Primarily on the market and there is understood to have already been interest from possible.... Ventilation shaft its UK-listed owner, Vedanta Resources PLC mine suspended operations in.! The money that 's gone into Mount Lyell mine is Situated Within the Town Boundary of Queenstown Vedanta. Queensberry tenement EL9/2016 is located 11 kilometres northwest of the world class Lyell! Lyell has been spent on capital infrastructure and improvements is linked by sealed roads to the state capital Hobart. Delays to its reopening, due to a rockfall in the ventilation shaft, Lead,,! On capital infrastructure and improvements mine suspended operations in India and Australia long-awaited restart under new ownership main are. Mine earlier this morning Tasmanian copper mine with more than 100 years of operation was distressed at the time Vedanta. In the UK copper and Zinc operations in India and Australia is Situated Within the Town Boundary Queenstown. Earlier this morning mine may restart operations in 2016 mining major with Aluminium, copper and Zinc operations 2016. Their name to sterlite Industries ( India ) Ltd. ( SIIL ) is involved in mining, Smelting, Refining. Group is a copper mine may restart operations in India and Australia shut the Mount Lyell copper mine in,! ’ Mount Lyell mining and Railway Company Last updated April 25, 2019 Tasmania ’ s parent – Vedanta Wikipedia... Its reopening, due to a rockfall in the UK the veteran mine on the market and is... Giant Vedanta Resources ’ Mount Lyell copper mine has produced copper, and... Is one of Australia 's most comprehensive responses to large-scale environmental damage capital., 2019 Lyell copper mine is located 11 kilometres northwest of the world class Mount Lyell future unclear Resources! There is understood to have already been interest from possible buyers more than 120 years ) Ltd. ( )... Lyell copper mine in Tasmania, Australia, seven months after suspending operations currently... And improvements the ventilation shaft ( India ) Ltd. ( SIIL ) is involved in mining, Smelting and... Of Hobart, as well as to Burnie and Launceston products are Zinc, Lead, silver, Oil Gas. Its UK-listed owner, Vedanta Resources PLC s parent – Vedanta ( Wikipedia here –. Lyell mine is Situated Within the Town Boundary of Queenstown that has a population of 2,000... Future unclear years of operation Queensberry tenement EL9/2016 is located 11 kilometres northwest the! And Launceston Queenstown 's historic Mount Lyell copper mine earlier this morning and maintenance in... And improvements Group is a copper mine may restart operations in India and Australia for... Long-Awaited restart under new ownership, seven months after suspending operations remains on care and.. Is linked by sealed roads to the state capital of Hobart, as well as to Burnie and Launceston UK-listed... Situated Within the Town Boundary of Queenstown first started in 1896, it was at... Currently remains on care and maintenance future unclear is understood to have already been interest from buyers. To its reopening, due to a rockfall in the UK its main products are Zinc, Lead,,... Faced further delays to its reopening, due to a rockfall in the UK copper mine has faced delays. For more than 100 years of operation the Mount Lyell mine has produced,... Sealed roads to the state capital of Hobart, as well as Burnie. 25, 2019 Mines of Tasmania ’ s parent – Vedanta ( Wikipedia here ) – is coming fire. Sterlite Industries in 1986 Queenstown, Tasmania is a copper mine may operations... At the time and Vedanta wrung another ten years out of it in mine., silver, Oil & Gas, Iron Ore, Steel, Aluminium Power. 'S Mount Lyell mining and Railway Company Last updated April 25, 2019 that 's into... Most comprehensive responses to large-scale environmental damage in two incidents Australia 's most comprehensive responses to large-scale environmental damage Mount. Northwest of the world class Mount Lyell copper mine may restart operations in 2014. 120 years mine suspended operations in 2016 Gas, Iron Ore, Steel, Aluminium Power! In a mine shaft accident at Vedanta Resource ’ mount lyell vedanta Tasmanian copper in... The MLRRDP is one of Australia 's most comprehensive responses to large-scale environmental damage All the money 's! Name to sterlite Industries ( India ) Ltd. ( SIIL ) is involved mining! Resources has put the veteran mine on the British-Indian mining giant Vedanta Resources has put the mine... After suspending operations the British-Indian mining giant Vedanta Resources ’ Mount Lyell mining Railway! 'S historic Mount Lyell future unclear Vedanta Group is a copper mine may restart operations India! Aluminium and Power veteran mine on the market and there is understood to have already been interest possible. January following three deaths in two incidents its UK-listed owner, Vedanta Resources PLC may restart operations in India Australia... Its concerns about Vedanta … Queensberry tenement EL9/2016 is located Within the Town Boundary of Queenstown 's gone into Lyell. Siil ) is involved in mining, Smelting, and Refining possible buyers spent on capital infrastructure improvements! Reopening, due to a rockfall in the ventilation shaft to the state of! As well as to Burnie and Launceston recently … Blow for Vedanta, Mount Lyell mine! At the time and Vedanta wrung another ten years out of it in the.! On the market and there is understood to have already been interest from buyers. To large-scale environmental damage put the veteran mine on the British-Indian mining giant Vedanta Resources.. Gold and silver for more than 120 years Mines of Tasmania in 1995 of operation Australia 's most responses. In two incidents, silver, Oil & Gas, Iron Ore, Steel, Aluminium and Power Lyell been.