To thicken a sauce or soup with cornstarch, you first need to make a slurry, which is a mixture of equal parts cornstarch and liquid (usually water, stock or wine). If you add the slurry all at once and the jus is too thick, the only remedy is to dilute the jus, weakening its flavor. Heat pan 2. If its not (like you were making a blueberry sauce to go with duck) than I might suggest using a very reduced meat stock (past the demi glace stage) to thicken the juice. Stir the paste into your sauce over medium heat until the sauce thickens up. Add mirepoix (mix dependent of food served) caramelize 6. If being gluten-free isn’t a concern, adding flour is a fantastic way to thicken dairy-based sauces, thick soups and gravies. These tiny little seeds create a gel when they're exposed to liquid. Caramelize 5. They're pretty popular for making puddings or thickening jellies and jams, but I love the tiny little crunch they add to a thick smoothie. Add equal parts of cornstarch and cool water to thicken the sauce. It's important to make the slurry with cold liquid, and then add the slurry to the simmering sauce. Oil – I like a good full bodied olive oil to add to the flavor of the dish, but any vegetable oil or even bacon grease will do in a pinch. To thicken sauce with flour, first mix 2 tablespoons (16 g) of all-purpose flour with ¼ cup (60 mL) of cold water to make a paste. Add fat 3. Commercial gelatin is primarily a pork product and if cooked too intensely or too long will taste of pork, or at least "meaty." Any salt you used in the braising will be multiplied in the reduction so if it starts to get too salty, add back a bit of water and then just barely thicken it with a touch of cornstarch slurry. Include an additional 1 millilitre (0.035 imp fl oz; 0.034 fl oz) of cornstarch and water for each cup of sauce you’re preparing. Jus (juice) lie (thickened) is pan drippings made into a sauce and thickened with a slurry (water + thickening agent such as cornstarch or arrowroot). The best way to thicken your sauce, is simply to reduce it. The reduction sounds like your best option, but taste as you reduce. The best reductions are thick enough so that a line drawn on the back of a spoon with your finger holds without dripping (the fancy French word for that is … Add 1 tablespoon (15 mL) of water and 1 tbsp (7.5 g) of cornstarch into your sauce mixture, stirring them together thoroughly. You'll get an amazing sauce if you just reduce some wine with your garlic and sauteed onions. A classic French sauce made with red wine, port and shallots, it's an ideal topping for steak Use cornstarch instead of flour for a gluten-free option. This may or may not be an issue for you. Create a red wine jus to serve alongside beef dishes. My preferred method is to make a roux (a combination of equal parts fat and all-purpose flour) and whisk in 2 ounces for every cup of liquid. ; Onion – My go-to for this recipe is red onion, but any mild sweet onion will do well. Fresh is great if you have it on hand though. Add bones and trimmings 4. ; Garlic – I’m a total cheater when it comes to garlic and use it from a jar. How Cornstarch Works . This means evaporating (slight boil) the liquid at a relatively low temperature. Au Jus Au Jus Ingredients. Adding cream, butter, or flour would also help thicken the mixture, however I wouldn't recommend it for steak. Here is one way to create a Jus Lie. Chia seeds are my preferred way to thicken smoothies. 1.