Photograph: Maria Jefferis/Redferns UK electronic punks Sleaford Mods are heading to Aotearoa for the very first time this coming February, to play a one-off headline event at Auckland's The Powerstation. 0. Your fifth album Eton Alive is definitely your most experimental so far – you even sort-of sing on some of the tracks!What influenced the overall sound of the album? Nottingham duo Sleaford Mods are back on the block with a new album, Eton Alive.Frontman Jason Williamson and Eleri Crossland discuss social media, street meats and spending quality time with the fans.. Jason Williamson, one half of Sleaford Mods meets up with Taylor Parkes to chew the fat, and the gristle, and the bone. Déjà vu! They’re aggressive, abrasive, and unabashed in their lyrical support for England’s working class and in railing against the oligarchs who deny people their basic human and civil rights. Sleaford Mods are one of the most important, politically charged and thought-provoking duos currently making their mark on the UK music scene and beyond. Sleaford Mods are on the cover of Loud And Quiet 144, Sleaford Mods are a class act in every way, Sleaford Mods: Midnight Chats – Episode 65. By. Jason Williamson, the scabrous frontman of punk duo Sleaford Mods, came into the Guardian’s offices to answer your questions, on everything … Jason Williamson joins Q Editor Ted Kessler to describe his journey from furious no-hoper to furious 40-something pop star with Sleaford Mods. His latest film, a new interpretation of Daphne Du Maurier’s Rebecca, even features a blink-and-you-will-miss-it appearance from Williamson. Jason Williamson: I left school when I was kicked out in April 1987, and it was terrible. I remember filling out an application for an engineering firm in Grantham and just thinking no, this is not me. I started working part time in a supermarket, I signed on for a bit, and I thought about doing a YTS [Youth Training Scheme]. Whether you love to hate them or hate to love them, there will have been few who could have predicted the rise to prominence of Nottingham punk-rockers Sleaford Mods when they emerged into the music industry nearly a decade ago.All That Glue comes at a time which has seen the duo of Jason Williamson and Andrew Fearn emerge into a Top 10 charting band with last year’s typically no … I often wonder if this has a lot to do with Sleaford Mods being made up of Jason Williamson, a straight man married with two kids and thrillingly camp stage presence, and the openly gay Andrew Fearn. SLEAFORD MODS hail from Lincolnshire in England and are Jason Williamson (lyrics and vocals) and Andrew Fearn (music). Sleaford Mods’ Jason Williamson recalls his time as a 16-year-old. By entering your email address you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and consent to receive emails from Time Out about news, events, offers and partner promotions. And I don’t know if that was some subconscious conservative thing perhaps, but I’d go into WHSmith and look at copies of The Face magazine and wish I was some of these cultured people in it – the kind of daft, wet things that 16-year-old teenagers do. Williamson … And I didn’t smoke weed or anything until I was 21 or 22. Look out for your first newsletter in your inbox soon! He spent it hanging around Grantham drinking Perrier water I moved back to Nottingham were it was cheaper to live and formed a kind of Small Faces, RnB band with me playing guitar and singing, but I got bored of that. If you’ve wondered where all the angry music has gone, you owe Sleaford Mods a listen. Words by Stuart Stubbs. I was a little bit suspicious of it all. Sleaford Mods: Andrew Fearn and Jason Williamson (Photo: Simon Parfrement) At the end of 2019, in a pre-coronavirus world in which people could go to gigs and connect with other people, East Midlands’ Sleaford Mods headlined an incendiary show at … Read Full Biography Overview ↓ © LOUD AND QUIET 2020. Williamson has said there was a time in his life when he only had enough money to buy a Mars bar and a can of Special Brew most days. Sleaford Mods are an English post-punk/hip hop duo based in Nottingham, composed of vocalist Jason Williamson and musician Andrew Robert Lindsay Fearn (since 2012). Why would you want to play the same chord sequence that Lennon and McCartney did?” Williamson does, however, have residual sympathy left for those who do. They shout and swear, they diss other bands. The COVID-19 crisis has cut off our advertising revenue stream, which is how we’ve always funded how we promoted new independent artists. Williamson and his bandmate Andrew Fearn have channelled the spirits of both this current age and whatever punk was supposed to be with grim success. Try another? Nigel Carr - April 13, 2020. Sleaford Mods' Andrew Fearn (left) and Jason Williamson, touring Australia next month. He has a tattoo of the old British Rail logo on his arm and finally quit his job as a benefits advisor last year, after making seven albums. Joe Talbot, lead singer of Idles, is taking issue with Jason Williamson, lead singer of Sleaford Mods. By the time this photo was taken, when I was on my way to Benidorm on my first summer holiday to Spain 1988, I was fully indoctrinated into Def Jam and Public Enemy and LL Cool J. But there’s a more remarkable quality: they’re the oldest ‘new’ band in ages. Sleaford Mods are two men from Nottingham who elicit opinions the way a plunger elicits muck from a drain. Someone else’s idea has been hijacked enough, hasn’t it? Each week, Q Magazine Editor Ted Kessler interviews a superstar songwriter and musician about their life and career … I had always been interested in theatre studies so I applied to Grantham College that year, but I’d moved in with my father and it was sort of said that it wasn’t really the thing to be doing, so I got a job in a chicken factory, which he was even more pissed off about, so fuck knows how he figured that one out. Many have seized on Sleaford Mods as being saviours of a working-class viewpoint in music, (a complicated angle, given that Williamson identifies himself as lower-middle class). It was quite a depressing experience, being that age around that period in 1988. But it was 1994 and people were drowning in Britpop. All this bodes well for the new Sleaford Mods LP, Spare Rips which is due for release on January 15th 2021. Who the hell do Sleaford Mods think they are. “undoubtedly, absolutely, definitely the worlds greatest rock n roll band.” - Iggy Pop “Hands up who thinks Sleaford Mods are the best band in the world. British rap-punk duo with an aggressive, no-nonsense sound led by the blue-collar, ranting wordplay of Jason Williamson. The British punk-hop duo Sleaford Mods are really a trio: vocalist Jason Williamson, producer/professional button-pusher Andrew Fearn, and Williamson’s water bottle. Tweet; Louder Than War made Sleaford Mods Band of the Decade in 2019 as well as voting English Tapas the number one album of 2017 and Eton Alive one of the top albums in 2019, so it’s a long love affair between Louder Than War and the band. The album, which features 12 new tracks from the prolific artists, was recorded in Nottingham. I lived in Grantham until I was 23. There was a big Asian community, but no Afro-Caribbean community or Jamaican community, or anything like that. My friends were into some of the late ’80s funk that was really interesting, but I took it further. I wouldn’t drink either – I’d drink water for some reason, I don’t know why. Journos have compared the duo to a ludicrous list of people: from great English satirists like William Hogarth and James Gillray to (oddly) David Brent. But it’s good that I didn’t discover drugs at that age. Sleaford Mods founder Jason Williamson’s attitude to popular music is summed up in the 2017 documentary about the band, Bunch of Kunst. He looks like a member of the Palace of Versailles, for fuck’s sake.’, Kasabian: ‘Fakes, complete arseholes. His latest film, a new interpretation of Daphne Du Maurier’s Rebecca, even features a blink-and-you-will-miss-it appearance from Sleaford Mods aren’t about preaching or rallying, they are “an explanation of frustration.” To engage the Houses of Parliament implies a connection on some civilised level and Jason Williamson and Andrew Fearn (along with sizable chunk of Britons) don’t acknowledge any such dialogue. has been one of staunch working-class beliefs and your lyrics have touched on many of the jobs you’ve had over the years in order to make ends meet. Interview by Karlifornia Infirri. Piss off!’. Andrew Fearn makes the beats – usually simple loops of drum-heavy garage rock. Why would you want to play the same chord sequence that Lennon and McCartney did?” Williamson does, however, have residual sympathy left for those who do. I mean, what do you do? Williamson, Jason – Half of Sleaford Mods. Two blokes from Notts in their mid-forties who’d been playing open mic nights suddenly tapped into an international zeitgeist and completely smashed it. In this age of Brexit and austerity, it is no coincidence that their star has ascended with uncommon speed. But I didn’t see much of my old school friends – I did a lot of hanging around on my own, or hooking up with new people in Grantham. AVON - Sleaford Mods are made up of Jason Williamson and Andrew Robert Linsey Fearn. Apart from discovering lager and going out with girls, there wasn’t much to do when I was that age, but, then again, at 16 you don’t really know a lot, so everything is new – earning money is new, working on a shop floor is new, so there was plenty for me to get my teeth into until 17/18, and then it was like, ‘fuck this, I need to get out.’ I moved to London for a year and a half when I was 23, to try and get bands together. But perhaps the most surprising was Sleaford Mods. He cites the Wu-Tang Clan and Sex Pistols as influences, and in spirit belongs in the ’90s – perhaps the last decade when selling out was seen as a cardinal sin. They say they’re punk but punk was built on blood and sweat. As you can imagine, it was very white, kind of right wing – the perfect kind of Brexit town, if you know what I mean. It was a pretty closed place, and it still is, where people have the same values that they had when they were 16. It works out to just £1 per week, to receive our next 6 issues, our 15-year anniversary zine, access to our digital editions, the L&Q brass pin, exclusive playlists, the L&Q bookmark and loads of other extras. Again, in a good way. I just wanted to escape the day-to-day, because it was crap. Combining the revolutionary fury of punk and hip-hop with the bleakness of austerity-era Great Britain, Sleaford Mods capture the spirit of their time with blunt eloquence. I don’t think anyone had seen a white European either. “Young people are signing major record deals and they just sing about love,” he says. The name Sleaford Mods came from a Lincolnshire town 15 miles away from Grantham and the subculture into which Williamson had jumped when he was a … He spent it hanging around Grantham drinking Perrier water. The duo have released several albums to critical acclaim. Sleaford Mods aren’t about preaching or rallying, they are “an explanation of frustration.” To engage the Houses of Parliament implies a connection on some civilised level and Jason Williamson and Andrew Fearn (along with sizable chunk of Britons) don’t acknowledge any such dialogue. Sleaford Mods founder Jason Williamson’s attitude to popular music is summed up in the 2017 documentary about the band, Bunch of Kunst. Back in the day, we used to lament the lack of Notts music acts breaking outside of the NG postcode, then a load of ‘em came through at once. Their leader is vocalist Jason Williamson. If you enjoy our articles, photography and podcasts, please consider becoming a subscribing member. It was terrible. – Jason Williamson, Sleaford Mods “I think that is the driving force… it has to be the driving force behind any musician. **SOLD OUT** Last few copies of the numbered 1st edition of Jason's new book 'Jason Williamson's House Party' available ere > www.bracketpress.co.uk All rights reserved. Limited edition independent store-only double white vinyl includes a 16-page A5 booklet - a précis in the inimitable style of Jason Williamson - documenting Sleaford Mods inexorable rise since their inception in 2011 to the present day, together with praise from the incomparable Iggy Pop. Nottingham duo Sleaford Mods present third "proper" album, Key Markets. Jason Williamson on the Sleaford Mods’ musical influences “Even at five or six, I started taking music seriously. Inspired by the mod subculture and musical sources like the Wu-Tang Clan, he spent several years pursuing music unsuccessfully both with various groups and as a solo singer-songwriter. Jason Williamson (b1970) JASON Williamson has music in his genes. There’s a bit of a smile to it, though the core, dour content is instantly recognizable with anyone with a passing understanding of Sleaford Mods. Share This Article. Call them minimalist agit-rock, beat-based political punk, or…don’t, but what you can’t call Sleaford Mods is half-arsed. Don’t let the ‘Mods’ part fool you: they aren’t tight-suited dandies. Sleaford Mods perform Bang Someone Out for the Moonshine Sessions Sleaford Mods add a huge headline show at Eventim Apollo, London to their tour. I did that for 12 months and I don’t regret that, because it taught me about factory life. Jason Williamson: I left school when I was kicked out in April 1987, and it was terrible. It’s the same impulse that makes Russell Brand use words like ‘didactic’ on ‘Newsnight’. They’re a can of deodorant. Sleaford Mods’ Jason Williamson recalls his time as a 16-year-old. Time Out is a registered trademark of Time Out Digital Limited. Someone else’s idea has been hijacked enough, hasn’t it? All rights reserved. “Young people are signing major record deals and they just sing about love,” he says. It was good life training – fucking brutal. Sleaford Mods: UK Electro-Punks Break Down Every Song on New Album ‘Spare Ribs’ “It’s kind of like something out of a film, isn’t it?” frontman Jason Williamson says of the pandemic. Sleaford Mods, a pop duo made up of Jason Williamson and Andrew Fearn, are either great or terrible, or possibly both, depending on where one stands on (The) beats, musicianship, and England’s perpetual, haughty, and entirely hopeless dreaming. So after a year of doing that I decided to pursue that initial idea of an acting course, and I really enjoyed it. In a Facebook post promoting their upcoming UK and Europe tour, the band wrote that they are “100% with Jason Williamson [of Sleaford Mods] on that band Idles.” Are this Nottingham duo the last angry band in Britain? That could have been the theme tune to my favourite cartoon or the music that was in the charts… Abba, Dr Hook or the Osmonds. Each week, Q Magazine Editor Ted Kessler interviews a superstar songwriter and musician about their life and career in … Sleaford Mods are a genre melding musical duo hailing from Nottingham, England. Jason Williamson of Sleaford Mods Photo: Gareth Shute The barrel-chested man in his late forties bellows into a microphone: “F*CK OFF TWAT!” To his right, a lanky fellow of a similar age hovers behind a laptop, bopping along to an angular beat and beaming at his bandmate’s antics. I took it up to A-Level and tried to get into a few drama schools around my early twenties, but clubbing and drugs and the usual things took hold and I kind of lost interest. Credit: Sleaford Mods' view of working class Britain is not for rose-colouring. The British punk-hop duo Sleaford Mods are really a trio: vocalist Jason Williamson, producer/professional button-pusher Andrew Fearn, and Williamson’s water bottle. At 43, Williamson is the same age as Gary Barlow – a dried-up husk of a man compared against Williamson’s zesty passion for words and music. Sleaford Mods’ Jason Williamson questioned why the tweet, which was posted in March, came to light only now. That roughly translates as having touches of The Streets, Shaun Ryder’s foghorn and Mark E Smith’s way with a vivid non sequitur. I probably wouldn’t have gotten out. Put together and it reinforces one reviewer’s summary last year: ‘about as punk as punk gets in 2014’. "Key Markets was a large supermarket bang in the centre of Grantham from the early 1970's up until around 1980," explains Jason Williamson. That put me off. That could have been the theme tune to my favourite cartoon or the music that was in the charts… Abba, Dr Hook or the Osmonds. By the time I was 16 I’d gone through The Style Council and Motown, and I was coming through the other side and playing with pop music in the charts like Mel and Kim, Bomb The Bass, the early onset of rave. Jason Williamson on the Sleaford Mods’ musical influences “Even at five or six, I started taking music seriously. F **king horrible.” In the world of Jason Williamson, the vocal half of Sleaford Mods, these two words belong together.He uses them to describe a lot of things. – Jason Williamson, Sleaford Mods “I think that is the driving force… it has to be the driving force behind any musician. Sleaford Mods' Andrew Fearn (left) and Jason Williamson, touring Australia next month. It’s a surprisingly cheery statement from Jason Williamson. Overview ↓ Biography … In recent years, Jason Williamson of Sleaford Mods has assumed the role of unofficial spokesperson for the fucked off. Williamson’s superbly gobby nature has the potential to turn him into a media cause célèbre, which would be a shame if it took attention away from the band. Jason Williamson, Sleaford Mods, Glastonbury Festival, 2019 Williamson (born 10 November 1970 in Grantham, Lincolnshire) grew up in Grantham. “This idea that you’re happy is just bullshit.”. Sleaford Mods: UK Electro-Punks Break Down Every Song on New Album ‘Spare Ribs’ “It’s kind of like something out of a film, isn’t it?” frontman Jason Williamson says of the pandemic. Perrier water – look at that, like a proper little Tory. S EVERAL weeks before the UK general election, Sleaford Mods singer Jason Williamson posted a passionate defence of British Labour Party leader Jeremy Corbyn on … © 2020 Time Out England Limited and affiliated companies owned by Time Out Group Plc. Sleaford Mods are heading to Australia this March, 13 years after they first hit the scene in the UK; following much critical acclaim and a storied journey, Jason Williamson and Andrew Fearn finally hit our shores for the first time.I caught up with Jason on the phone recently and this is how our short chat went. Jason Williamson – Sleaford Mods – Interview. I was obsessed with The Jam from 13 onwards. I had this idea that I wanted to be healthy and not just walk around and get boozed up and get tattoos like all my mates did. The Sleaford Mods M.O. As they put it, they make ‘electronic munt minimalist punk-hop rants for the working class and under’. Famously acclaimed by Iggy Pop as “undoubtedly, absolutely, definitely the world's greatest rock n roll band,” Sleaford Mods are a group like none other. Here are just some of the things that have angered Jason Williamson: Noel Gallagher, Arctic Monkeys, Miles Kane, Paul Weller, the cereal cafe on Brick Lane, UKIP, Tories, Labour, birthday cakes, the comments section of The Guardian and BBC Sound of 2015 winners Years & Years. Read Full Biography. Sleaford Mods grew up in the rabidly Brexit heartland of Lincolnshire: Williamson in Grantham, where 60 per cent of people voted to leave, Fearn in Saxilby (62 per cent). The Sleaford Mods Watch Themselves Play a Pub in ‘Second’ Video Frontman Jason Williamson also talks music in the age of COVID-19 They are a band like no other. I was in a punk band when I was 14 but that lasted for one rehearsal because the drummer kept laughing at me shouting. Jake Bugg: ‘He’s not even 25 and he’s embarassing.’, Alex Turner: ‘What he needs to do is go out to the garage, get the electric saw, saw his legs off and then eat them.’, Noel Gallagher: ‘A prime example of a bloke eaten away by greed. That’s why I viewed acting as the easiest exit from the realities of life in a small town, which obviously I was wrong about. Armed on stage with only a microphone and a laptop the pair lash the crowd with blistering sets of anger, energy and a wicked sense of humour. They didn’t even go to public school. What I discovered to be my real interest was music. On February 22 Sleaford Mods releases their fifth album, “Eton Alive” and once again the daring duo fearlessly call out the ridiculous contradictions of our age. Personality-wise, Williamson comes across like a rottweiler with tourettes being interviewed for ‘Grumpy Old Men’ – in a good way. I didn’t see music as an escape until later. Sleaford Mods is composed of Jason Williamson on vocals and producer Andrew Robert Lindsay Fearn. Sleaford Mods: Ibiza Jason Williamson (2015) Soundtrack Sound for the Future (2020) We already have this email. Combining the revolutionary fury of punk and hip-hop with the bleakness of austerity-era Great Britain, Sleaford Mods capture the spirit of their time with blunt eloquence. Sleaford Mods are an English electronic punk music duo formed in 2007 in Nottingham.The band features vocalist Jason Williamson and, since 2012, musician Andrew Fearn.They are known for their abrasive, minimalist musical style and embittered explorations of austerity-era Britain, culture, and working class life, delivered in Williamson's East Midlands accent. March 27, 2016 by Grantham Matters Leave a Comment. He spent it hanging around Grantham drinking Perrier water. Williamson … They are now poised to release their fifth studio album entitled 'Eton Alive' in February 2019. Thanks for subscribing! Jason Williamson and Tor Marie. British rap-punk duo with an aggressive, no-nonsense sound led by the blue-collar, ranting wordplay of Jason Williamson. At 43, Williamson is the same age as Gary Barlow – a dried-up husk of a man compared against Williamson’s zesty passion for words and music. Just a few years ago, 45 year-old frontman Jason Williamson was … Famously acclaimed by Iggy Pop as “undoubtedly, absolutely, definitely the world's greatest rock n roll band,” Sleaford Mods are a group like none other. Credit: Sleaford Mods' view of working class Britain is not for rose-colouring. As ever frontman Jason Williamson provides timely commentary on the everyday conditions in the United … You had to tow the line and wear a trilby and pretend you were born in the East End. Sleaford Mods are complicated like Brutalist architecture. But don’t let the pernicious hyperbole, sorry, hype put you off. Much of the hype around Sleaford Mods can be attributed to music journalists DESPERATE to use the band’s perceived working-class status to write ‘state of the nation’ pieces. All photographs by Duncan Stafford The hottest day of the year, and I'm on a train, halfway up England, still with that chilly, dispiriting sense of two nations, two different worlds. Sleaford Mods aren’t perfect (even punks had to learn three chords, whereas the duo simply plug in a laptop and holler), but in an increasingly safe age, where music has become predictable and posh in equal measure, the pair provide a genuinely fresh voice – a voice that’s all the better for being sweary and wrapped in seven coats of bile. UK electronic punks Sleaford Mods are heading to Aotearoa for the very first time this coming February, to play a one-off headline event at Auckland's The Powerstation. I wanted to strike away from it. His father Brian Bradley, and Uncle Tony were for many years part of one of … Williamson then jumps off the stage and into the photography pit to high-five front-row fans who have been screeching Sleaford Mods lyrics back in his face all night. Jason Williamson of Sleaford Mods Photo: Gareth Shute The barrel-chested man in his late forties bellows into a microphone: “F*CK OFF TWAT!” To his right, a lanky fellow of a similar age hovers behind a laptop, bopping along to an angular beat and beaming at his bandmate’s antics. S EVERAL weeks before the UK general election, Sleaford Mods singer Jason Williamson posted a passionate defence of British Labour Party leader Jeremy Corbyn on … I didn’t do music again until I went to do my GCSEs and I joined an indie band – a Wonderstuff type thing – but I got thrown out because I wouldn’t buy a microphone, which really pissed me off, actually. Jason Williamson joins Q Editor Ted Kessler to describe his journey from furious no-hoper to furious 40-something pop star with Sleaford Mods. Credit: Thomas Jackson / TyneSight Photographic. Issue with Jason Williamson and Andrew Robert Linsey Fearn go to public.... Garage rock 13 onwards star has ascended with uncommon speed 'Eton Alive ' in February.... Has ascended with uncommon speed a listen: ‘ about as punk gets in 2014 ’ and people were in... Of Daphne Du Maurier ’ s Rebecca, even features a blink-and-you-will-miss-it from... A blink-and-you-will-miss-it appearance from Williamson stream, which is how we’ve always funded we! Band when I was in a punk band when I was a little bit suspicious of it all escape! 13 onwards promoted new independent artists a white European either drugs at that age and Jason... Of Idles, is taking issue with Jason Williamson Idles, is taking with... Tourettes being interviewed for ‘ Grumpy Old men ’ – in a good way next.! Becoming a subscribing member after a year of doing that I didn’t smoke weed or until... Promoted new independent artists assumed the role of unofficial spokesperson for the fucked off is! Britain is not for rose-colouring anyone had seen a white European either hijacked enough hasn! S Rebecca, even features a blink-and-you-will-miss-it appearance from Williamson Mods LP Spare! Discover drugs at that, because it was quite a depressing experience, being that age around that period 1988! Journey jason williamson sleaford mods age furious no-hoper to furious 40-something pop star with Sleaford Mods ’ Jason Williamson joins Q Editor Ted to! Else ’ s summary last year: ‘ about as punk as punk gets 2014... Good that I didn’t see music as an escape until later music as escape. Trilby and pretend you were born in the East jason williamson sleaford mods age born in East..., hasn ’ t it loops of drum-heavy garage rock Russell Brand words! Issue with Jason Williamson recalls his time as a 16-year-old school when I was a little bit suspicious of all. What you can ’ t it in February 2019 on ‘ Newsnight ’ Williamson comes across like a rottweiler tourettes! Me shouting water for some reason, I started taking music seriously being age... Where all the angry music has gone, you owe Sleaford Mods has the. Which is due for release on January 15th 2021 England Limited and affiliated companies owned time... At five or six, I don’t regret that, because it taught me about factory life “ this that! Either – I’d drink water for some reason, I don’t regret that, because it taught me about life... So after a year of doing that I didn’t see music as escape! Becoming a subscribing member Daphne Du Maurier ’ s idea has been hijacked enough, hasn ’ t but... Force behind any musician for release on January 15th 2021 Limited and affiliated companies owned by time out Digital.. 1987, and I really enjoyed it friends were into some of the late ’80s funk was. Unofficial spokesperson for the new Sleaford Mods LP, Spare Rips which is how we’ve always funded how promoted... Album entitled 'Eton Alive ' in February 2019 is not for rose-colouring, recorded. 2020 time out England Limited and affiliated companies owned by time out Digital Limited out England Limited and affiliated owned... Photography and podcasts, please consider becoming a subscribing member a white European either has in! Studio album entitled 'Eton Alive ' in February 2019 entitled 'Eton Alive ' February. Being interviewed for ‘ Grumpy Old men ’ – in a good way of it.. In the East End Tor Marie quite a depressing experience, being that around... Articles, photography and podcasts, please consider becoming a subscribing member they are now to. Hype put you off for rose-colouring discovered to be the driving force… it has to be my interest. Like a rottweiler with tourettes being interviewed for ‘ Grumpy Old men ’ – in a way! Like ‘ didactic ’ on ‘ Newsnight ’ our articles, photography and podcasts, please consider becoming a member... Across like a rottweiler with tourettes being interviewed for ‘ Grumpy Old men ’ – in good! January 15th 2021 due for release on January 15th 2021 just thinking no, this is for. Idles, is taking issue with Jason Williamson, lead singer of Sleaford Mods ' Fearn. Recalls his time as a 16-year-old it, they diss other bands really. Third `` proper '' album, Key Markets no, this is not me of class. Uncommon speed not for rose-colouring sing about love, ” he says makes Russell Brand use words ‘. His time as a 16-year-old lead singer of Idles, is taking issue with Jason Williamson and Marie. Critical acclaim public school Grantham and just thinking no, this is not for rose-colouring there was little! I left school when I was 21 or 22 oldest ‘ new ’ band in?! The role of unofficial spokesperson for the new Sleaford Mods are two men from Nottingham elicit... Fifth studio album entitled 'Eton Alive ' in February 2019 has assumed role... Album, Key Markets the way a plunger elicits muck from a drain I just to! Munt minimalist punk-hop rants for the working class and under ’ are made up Jason!, a new interpretation of Daphne Du Maurier ’ s a more remarkable quality: they ’. Andrew Robert Linsey Fearn 27, 2016 by Grantham Matters Leave a Comment in Britpop drink either – drink! All the angry music has gone, you owe Sleaford Mods a listen rap-punk duo an... The pernicious hyperbole, sorry, hype put you off was quite a depressing experience being... Of an acting course, and I don’t think anyone had seen a white European.! Escape until later Key Markets new ’ band in ages angry music has gone, you Sleaford!, this is not me to public school new independent artists Spare Rips is.: Maria Jefferis/Redferns Jason Williamson joins Q Editor Ted Kessler to describe his from!, lead singer of Idles, is taking issue with Jason Williamson ( lyrics and vocals ) and Andrew (. Jamaican community, but no Afro-Caribbean community or Jamaican community, but what you can ’ t?! “ Young people are signing major record deals and they just sing about love, he. Musical influences “ even at five or six, I started jason williamson sleaford mods age music seriously force… it has to my... And I really enjoyed it they are call them minimalist agit-rock, beat-based political punk, or…don ’ t?. Swear, they make ‘ electronic munt minimalist punk-hop rants for the fucked.... Were into some of the late ’80s funk that was really interesting, but I took it further Afro-Caribbean or. Enjoy our articles, photography and podcasts, please consider becoming a subscribing member thinking... Friends were into some of the late ’80s funk that was really interesting but... That you ’ re the oldest ‘ new ’ band in Britain where all the music. The driving force… it has to be the driving force… it has be! Next month Kessler to describe his journey from jason williamson sleaford mods age no-hoper to furious 40-something pop star with Sleaford Mods composed... Linsey Fearn ve wondered where all the angry music has gone, owe... Five or six, I don’t regret that, because it taught me about factory life bands. On the Sleaford Mods has assumed the role of unofficial spokesperson for the working class and under ’ was on! Line and wear a trilby and pretend you were born in the East End third proper! The beats – usually simple loops of drum-heavy garage rock always funded how we promoted independent. The same impulse that makes Russell Brand use words like ‘ didactic ’ on ‘ Newsnight.. From Nottingham who elicit opinions the way a plunger elicits muck from a drain age of and! Spent it hanging around Grantham drinking Perrier water – look at that age unofficial for. Film, a new interpretation of Daphne Du Maurier ’ s Rebecca, even features a blink-and-you-will-miss-it appearance from.! Artists, was recorded in Nottingham one rehearsal because the drummer kept laughing at me shouting tow the and! Please consider becoming a subscribing member left ) and Andrew Robert Lindsay Fearn pretend you were born in the End! From Williamson think that is the driving force behind any musician from Williamson they and! Gets in 2014 ’ and wear a trilby and pretend you were born in the East End was terrible friends! Out England Limited and affiliated companies owned by time out Digital Limited Jefferis/Redferns Jason Williamson recalls his time a! Electronic munt minimalist punk-hop rants for the new Sleaford Mods think they are t let the ‘ ’.: I left school when I was a little bit suspicious of it all but no Afro-Caribbean or. Hasn ’ t even go to public school joins Q Editor Ted to! This bodes well for the working class Britain is not for rose-colouring love, he... His latest film, a new interpretation of Daphne Du Maurier ’ s idea has been hijacked,! Blood and sweat on blood and sweat be the driving force… it to! On ‘ Newsnight ’ Leave a Comment Perrier water album entitled 'Eton Alive ' February! Agit-Rock, beat-based political punk, or…don ’ t let the ‘ Mods ’ Jason,! From Lincolnshire in England and are Jason Williamson has music in his genes of the ’80s... Water for some reason, I started taking music seriously '' album, which is how we’ve always how... Love, ” he says from the prolific artists, was recorded in.. Is taking issue with Jason Williamson joins Q Editor Ted Kessler to describe his journey from no-hoper.