1 tablespoon lemon juice. … After a few minutes, drop the temp down to a medium heat (350ºF or 375ºF) to encourage even baking. Whisk liquefied coconut oil, egg, milk, maple syrup, and the zest from … In large bowl, using fingers, rub together sugar, lemon zest and lemon juice. To achieve airiness: start baking the muffins at a high temperature to activate the leavener, then drop the temp down for a more even bake. You can increase the oil by 1 tablespoon if you don’t want to use applesauce. For one, the acid in the dairy activates with the baking soda. In order to freeze, we first bake and cool the muffins completely. And these healthy lemon blueberry muffins achieve that and then some. ★☆ Used greek yogurt and fresh lemon juice in place of buttermilk and lemon extract. ★☆ That’s it. To make the muffins in large bowl stir together flour, baking powder and salt and set aside. Love these! Question- can you sub honey for the sugar? Leave it on the counter to curdle slightly. Didn’t have buttermilk so I substituted more applesauce and milk. Either way, keep them sealed in an airtight container or freezer bag to keep air out and freshness in. To achieve tenderness: add a bit of cornstarch to the flour mixture. Just make sure to use Greek yogurt. Add the blueberries to the batter and fold in JUST until combined. Lastly, if you’re using frozen, try to find some frozen wild blueberries, they add tons of flavor! Blueberry and Lemon is one of my favorite flavor combos! More blueberry and lemon recipes So moist, fluffy and sweet, with a hint of tangy flavour. Healthy Lemon Blueberry Muffins with Honey Gluten Free With L.B. These are based off of two popular muffin recipes I have – the Banana Cherry muffins and the Pumpkin muffins.So if either of … To make gluten free … If you like things really lemony you can add more! Thank you for this delicious, healthy muffin recipe!! So, I thought I’d address the most asked questions about muffins. We loved these and I’m glad I could use fresh lemon juice instead of extract. I doubled this recipe and it did not make 24–not even close. Divide the batter between lined muffin cups (about 5 tablespoons per cup). The first thing that comes to mind is to make sure you are fluffing the flour a bit before you measure it out. If anyone out there is skeptical about lemon in baked goods, these flourless paleo lemon blueberry muffins will have you converted…thanks to a sneaky little hack!. In a large bowl whisk together the flour, cornstarch, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Buttermilk also changes the pH of the batter, so your baked goods are less likely to brown while cooking, giving muffins a nice light golden finish. These muffins have the best texture and great flavor to back them up! I prefer the quick microwave-method for reheating muffins. I sure think so! Don’t overmix your batter. Wish I made more! I love that they aren’t too sweet! Yes, that should work! Save or pin it for later! Healthy Blueberry Lemon Muffins. Enjoy within one week for the most flavor and the best consistency! I didn’t have buttermilk so I used organic yogurt. 1/4 + 2 tablespoons monk fruit**. Gently fold in the blueberries. https://bakerbynature.com/blueberry-lemon-poppy-seed-muffins Used a frozen berry mix instead of blueberries. Then, we toss into a freezer safe, zip top bag, making sure not to over stuff the bag. Transfer muffin tin to a wire rack and cool 5 minutes, then transfer muffins from pan to wire rack to cook completely. Using electric mixer, beat in butter until fluffy; beat in eggs, 1 at a time. Made them entirely with whole wheat flour and with coconut sugar imstead of regular sugar, so they turned out a little darker. Your email address will not be published. Transfer the muffin tin to the oven and bake muffins at 425ºF for 5 minutes. You can skip using it, or you can use regular sugar, sucanat or coconut sugar instead. Not too sweet, fluffy, and they are a nutritious snack or breakfast option to have on hand! It breaks down the tough gluten bonds keeping the muffins flaky. Whisk in yogurt, oil, lemon juice and vanilla extract (mixture should be pale and yellow) We haven’t tried it- please let us know how it turns out for you! The same can’t be said for cupcakes as they often have a thinner batter. Still delicious! We have all heard this before, but is truly the key to a fluffy, moist muffin. Good lemon flavor too. Overmixing will make your muffins … They turned out amazing! I made these and am embarrassed to say we ate them in 2 days! In this recipe, I used sour cream to give the softness and improve the texture of these muffins. I'm a mom and registered dietitian with a passion to help parents create a home environment where they can raise healthy kids! Turned out great!! tapioca starch, lemon juice, coconut oil, lemon zest, large eggs and 8 more Keto Lemon Blueberry Muffin Grass Fed Girl Secondly, extra berries! Yum ? Get out a few mixing bowls, a microplane, whisk, rubber spatula, muffin pan, and cupcake liners. Don’t overmix. The ideal way to eat healthy is to not feel like you’re eating healthy. Yes, these flavorful breakfast oat muffins are heart-healthy and packed with soluble fiber and protein, and they even have a sweet surprise—juicy blueberries, poppyseeds, and a burst of lemon zing! or DM me about making ingredient substitutions, Finished with a bit of sugary crunch on top. It’s just all about balance really, isn’t it? Whisk together 2 ¼ cups flour, cornstarch, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl, set … I used gluten free flour & calamansi extract instead of lemon extract & it was delicious, not too sweet too, My sweet spinach muffin was a success too so I guess, this site will be my baked goods source for my toddler . So moist and we couldn’t stop eating them!!! As soon as the flour disappears, step away from the spoon. That should be in the recipe instead. Crack eggs over the bowl with the wet … The more whole wheat flour you can use and still have the muffins taste great, the better. Not only does it add a dose of sweetness, but it also adds some crunch. These muffins will be fluffier and moist if you use room temperature ingredients – specifically the yogurt, buttermilk, and egg. ★☆ These are truly the best lemon blueberry muffins I have ever had. Nice and moist and very sweet. Divide batter evenly between muffin cups, adding a scant 1/4 cup to each. To make eggless lemon blueberry muffins, use 1/4 cup of unsweetened applesauce in place of the egg, and add an additional 1/4 tsp of baking powder or use a flax seed egg. . Prep Time 5 … She loves them! Ingredients for Healthy Blueberry Lemon Muffins. Only made 18–and the last 6 weren’t full-sized. Required fields are marked *. Oil muffin pan, or line with paper liners. It makes sense, since cooking has the potential to be a big production when you have kids under tow. about cooking healthy-ish—aka healthy recipes that don't sacrifice on flavor. Don’t forget, if you make these healthy Lemon Blueberry Muffins, leave a comment and rating below! Quick and easy. Bake for 18 minutes or until golden on top and the muffins bounce back when touched. Common dairy products used in quick breads and muffins include yogurt, Greek yogurt, sour cream and buttermilk. But with a thick batter like this one, it’s important to fill the cups full. 2 large eggs; 1/3 cup (75g) erythritol or stevia (or sweetener of choice) 1 cup (240g) plain Greek yogurt, 2%; 3 Tbsp. I feel they are a bit dry, which I attribute to something I can do better, so what would you suggest to make them just a bit more moist? To replace the process of leavening (rising), add 1 tablespoon of oil, mixed with 1 tablespoon of water and 1/2 teaspoon of baking powder. Ingredients. The first is using whole wheat flour. Another thing to keep in mind—don’t be afraid to fill your muffin cups to the top! To make healthy lemon blueberry muffins, add the zest of one large or two small lemons to the muffin batter. There are many kids with egg allergies though, and for a baked product like blueberry muffins, there can be a substitute! Sub’d coconut sugar for white and sub’d 3/4 cup unsweetened almond milk with 2tsp lemon juice for buttermilk. Hi Chuck, thanks for the comment and for letting me know you found them to be a bit dry. Your email address will not be published. Huge hit. Lauren Grant is a professional culinary food scientist, food writer, recipe developer, and food photographer. Combine the flours, sugar, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl. We use 1 cup of milk with a tablespoon of lemon juice. If you want beautiful tall muffins, don’t be afraid of baking powder. Bake for 20 minutes or until well risen and golden-brown. I'm Lo, a professionally trained Culinary Food Scientist, Journalist, and previous food magazine editor. Cooking once and eating all week can be such a relief! Make sure to tag me @ZESTFULKITCHEN ON INSTAGRAM or tag #zestfulkitchen on social media if you make a recipe! When eggs, milk, and yogurt are room temp, they form a better emulsion, which traps air and creates lighter, fluffier baked goods. I made these with frozen raspberries and fresh lemon juice. While you still want them to be sweet and taste good, we like to cut the sugar back a little bit each time, until the flavor still tastes great, but we are using a minimal amount of sugar. I will definitely cut down on the sugar next time. There are three major things that can make a muffin healthier. You can also substitute sour cream for the Greek yogurt here. If you bake often, this goes without saying, but if you’re new to muffin-making, be sure to mix your batter until just combined. ***TURBINADO SUGAR: turbinado sugar is raw sugar and has a coarse texture. Gluten-Free Lemon Blueberry Muffins, brimming with sweet … Just replace the same volume in equal amounts. I love that tip to bake them at a higher temperature first and then drop it down – perfect muffins every time – thank you for the delicious recipe, obsessed! Hi! Will definitely make again. No one will guess this recipe is made with 100% whole wheat flour and naturally sweetened with honey or maple syrup. Another grain to incorporate is bran for extra fiber. They defrost on the counter over night, and in the  morning, they ware ready to eat. The trick to getting that lovely domed muffin top (that we all love about bakery muffins) is to jumpstart their baking at a high temperature in the oven (this activates the leavener). Total bake time is about 23 minutes. Once the height has been achieved, it’s important to drop the temp back down to ensure the batter cooks through. These are divine! https://www.superhealthykids.com/recipes/healthy-lemon-blueberry-muffins Very yummy! Many people don’t know this, but you can make your own buttermilk if you don’t have any. To pin this recipe and save it for later, you can click the button on any of the photos, or the red button on the bar below the recipe. These healthy blueberry muffins are golden, fluffy, moist and delicious! Using a fork mix until combined. they are delicious and easy to make. Minimal amounts of coconut oil, no white sugar plus all the BEST parts of whole wheat & buttermilk. I’m glad you enjoyed them! https://amyshealthybaking.com/.../02/09/healthy-one-bowl-blueberry-muffins Easy and tasty. I used raspberries instead of blueberries plus the zest of a lemon and these were perfect. I would try reducing the last segment of baking (after you’ve reduced the oven temp) to 14 minutes or so—but I would be sure to check with a toothpick to make sure the centers aren’t too under-baked. They don’t need so much. Add in white whole wheat flour, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt. Delicious! I'm here to help you find confidence in the kitchen and LOVE what you eat. Use oil rather than butter. In a small bowl, whisk together the oil, yogurt, buttermilk, lemon juice, lemon zest and egg until incorporated. **BLUEBERRIES: fresh blueberries are best here (I like to seek out blueberries on the smaller side—they’re more flavorful). Spray muffin cups lightly with cooking spray or use muffin liners. They turned out really good. (For mini muffins, bake 11–14 minutes at 350°F (177°C). Required fields are marked *, Rate this recipe I used 5 tblsp coconut oil, no applesauce, subbed coconut milk for buttermilk, decreased sugar to 1/4 cup with coconut sugar and added 1 ripe banane to the batter. Everyone in my family loved these! This is important for all types of flour, but especially whole-wheat because it can become pretty compact over time as it sits in the bag. The best part? Eggs are perfect for muffins because it not only provides structure and bonding to the muffin, but it also assists with the rise of the muffin. I thought these were delicious. Subbed lemon juice for extract and Greek yogurt for buttermilk and apple sauce. I made this recipe last night and my wife and mother in law loved them, so gave it 5 stars. Using a spatula, mix until wet and dry ingredients are completely combined! Not only can blueberry muffins be frozen, the taste and texture does not suffer after they’ve defrosted. Stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator, these muffins will last for up to 1 week. We hope you like these healthy lemon blueberry muffins. To make these easy, healthy blueberry muffins, you will need white whole wheat flour, or all purpose flour, Greek yogurt, olive oil, honey, blueberries, an egg, lemons, baking soda, baking powder, salt and vanilla extract. To achieve moistness: use a thick dairy product like Greek yogurt or sour cream. When we want to defrost them, there are three methods. This turned out ok, it just tasted a lot like something my health conscious sister could make using a lot less sugar or a healthier substitute. We really enjoyed these muffins. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Zest your lemon – you’ll need around 2 teaspoons of lemon zest. It looks like you’ve changed this recipe recently. Use room temperature ingredients. Add yogurt mixture to flour mixture and stir until mostly incorporated but some pockets of flour remain. Fluffy Healthy Oatmeal Lemon Blueberry Muffins are topped with a Lemon Blueberry Glaze. Add the yogurt mixture to the flour mixture and mix until nearly combined but a few pockets of flour remain (this is key, don’t over mix!). Recipe yields 12 muffins… Divide batter evenly among the muffin cups (using an ice cream scoop works great here if you have one!). These healthy blueberry muffins are still good without it, but a little lemon oil adds a delightful bright flavor. First, and preferable to me, we set them out the evening before we want to eat them. The key to a perfect muffin is achieving harmony between moistness, tenderness and airiness. Whole wheat flour provides fiber and B Vitamins that refined white flour is missing. Scrape down side and bottom … These were great; I added lemon zest and vanilla extract! Recipe by Nora from Savory … Will definitely make again when we pick fresh berries this summer. When we add buttermilk to our muffins, I can tell a distinct improvement! Sprinkle with sugar, if … I used Better Batter gluten free flour mix and they turned out great! Nice combo of tart and sweet taste. The turbinado lemon zest topping adds the perfect crunch! Divide batter (it will be thick) between muffin cups, about 5 tablespoons per cup. After about 5-10 minutes you have buttermilk! To replace the egg for binding, applesauce or mashed banana can do the job. Kids didn’t want to try them yet (as a snack) – I’ll try again for breakfast tomorrow. Check out our blueberry bran muffins here. Be sure to mix in the baking powder, baking soda and salt really well with a whisk. And the third  is to lower the sugar. For example, 1/2 of a banana would be the same volume approximately as one egg. Are Lemon Blueberry Muffins Healthy? Your email address will not be published. Oh I am SO happy to hear that Abby! Light, tender and bursting with blueberry and lemon flavor, these perfect lemon blueberry muffins are 100% whole-wheat, naturally sweetened, and made with heart-healthy olive oil! I like to use fresh blueberries, but frozen berries can also be used. And two, dairy helps to create a baked good that’s tender and airy. Finally, I would be really careful not to over mix—a few pockets of dry flour is OK! Lastly, if you don’t like the microwave idea, you can wrap the muffins individually in foil, and put them in the oven for about 10 minutes while they warm up. Of course, they have butter and flour and sugar, but they also have yogurt and plenty of fruit. These muffins have everything going for them, they’re: I find there are two things that cause muffins to be less-than-impressive—they’re either gluey (which some people like to call “moist”) or dried out. Welcome to Zestful Kitchen! If you keep them in the pantry, I would eat them within 3-4 days of making them. Line a 12-cup muffin tin with cupcake liners (or grease the cups with nonstick spray). They don’t need much time, 10–15 seconds is all. That’s the big secret. I actually made them with maple extract instead of lemon. You can also watch the Web Story on how to make these Healthy Blueberry Muffins! You’d never know these were healthy! The second thing I recommend trying would be to decrease the bake time by a couple of minutes or so. Also i used coconut milk instead of buttermilk and i added chiaseeds and flaxseeds and they came out delicious! ★☆. Is it possible to direct me to the old version? I hope that helps, let me know if there is anything else I can help you with! Place a teaspoon of the lemon curd on top of each one and sprinkle with the remaining sugar. Add eggs and whisk together eggs and lemon-sugar until combined. Muffins can be part of a healthy diet, especially when you can incorporate nutrient dense foods like blueberries. They are mostly made up of oats, which are gluten free and a great source of fiber. Lauren is a previous magazine editor and test kitchen developer and has had work published in major national publications including Diabetic Living Magazine, Midwest Living Magazine, Cuisine at Home Magazine, EatingWell.com, AmericasTestKitchen.com, and more. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Hi Dayana, I haven’t tried it myself but “all purpose” gluten free flour would probably work! You can also reheat these in a 300ºF oven until warmed through, 5–8 minutes. They will quickly become a family favorite. Did you make this recipe? Add the wet ingredients to the dry and mix just until combined. Also subbed homemade coconut milk for the buttermilk, cut back on 1/3 of the sugar, used fresh lemon juice and didn’t have any apple sauce so I threw in a couple spoonfuls of coconut oil. In a medium bowl place 2/3 cup granulated sugar and lemon zest and rub for a minute. Kids loved them! Combine turbinado sugar with 1 teaspoon lemon zest and sprinkle evenly over cups of batter. Also used 50% almond meal. The key is to get the batter to rise, and rise quickly at the beginning of baking. Made using fresh blueberries, buttermilk, and a squeeze of lemon juice, these muffins come out of the oven sweet, moist, and healthy enough to enjoy as a grab & go breakfast! Think of these baked blueberry lemon oatmeal cups as a muffin … Doubled the recipe and got exactly 20 plump, full size muffins. These muffins are a healthy breakfast, whether you’re following a diet plan or not. I thought they were ok but everyone else loves them so I gave 4 stars. If you don’t have lemon oil, a teaspoon of lemon zest would be great too. Slightly … 3/4 cup blueberries. We loved it! Healthy Lemon Blueberry Muffins (with yogurt!) My final word about blueberry muffins is how to make them healthier. baking soda; 1/4 tsp. 1/4 cup sliced almonds. Heat oven to 425°F (218°C). Leave a review! vanilla extract; 1 cup (150g) whole wheat flour (I used atta flour) 1 cup (100g) almond flour; 2 tsp. Added 3 tablespoons of chia. Oil produces a more tender and moist muffin. You can also use frozen blueberries, if you do, don’t thaw them prior to adding them to the batter, add them frozen. Made with coconut flour and with no refined sugar, these are light and airy muffins, loaded with blueberries and zesty lemon flavor! In a large bowl, add honey, coconut oil, applesauce, greek yogurt, egg, fresh lemon juice, and vanilla extract. *If you are looking for the original recipe, here it is: Your email address will not be published. Keeping the muffins in the oven, decrease the oven temperature to 350ºF and continue to bake until a toothpick inserted in the centers comes out clean, about 18 minutes more. Totally delicious, will make again and probably add a bit more lemon or a dash of zest. If we forget this, we can put it in the microwave for about 30-60 seconds. https://app.prepear.com/superhealthykids?recipe=83145bc0-e3eb-11e9-9a49-5fe7655acc9e. Love it! If you store muffins in the freezer, they should be good and keep their flavor for about 3 months. Blueberries are a super food, and the more that you can incorporate without the muffin falling apart altogether, the better! Add a heaping teaspoon instead of a level one. It’s true about involving kids with the cooking process to create buy in. Tested better cooled than warm. Delicious! These decadent Lemon Blueberry Muffins can be made from scratch in under an hour. These lemon blueberry muffin baked oats are a twist on normal baked oats, a favorite of a lot of Slimming World dieters. Any kind of quick-bread recipe (banana bread, zucchini bread, carrot bread) benefits from a creamy dairy-based product. © 2020 Super Healthy Kids, Inc., all rights reserved. Whisk together 2 ¼ cups flour, cornstarch, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl, set aside. And you can certainly make them with whole-wheat flour, if you prefer to get some whole grains in there — I’ve done so, and they’ve turned out perfect! You can find it here: https://app.prepear.com/superhealthykids?recipe=83145bc0-e3eb-11e9-9a49-5fe7655acc9e. Definitely will make again. I'm all These Healthy Lemon Blueberry Muffins are THE most moist, cake like muffin on our entire site. Whisk together the flour, salt, and baking powder in a large bowl. Toss the blueberries with a teaspoon of flour (this helps them from dropping to the bottom of the batter). With lemon or citrus infused cakes, muffins or desserts, I think there is a very fine line between too much lemon … salt What can I substitute the apple sauce with ? Whisk together yogurt, honey, oil, eggs, 1 tablespoon lemon zest, and almond extract until smooth. Bake muffins 5 minutes at 425°F then, keeping muffins in oven, reduce oven temperature to 350°F (177°C) and bake until a toothpick inserted in the centers comes out clean, 16–18 minutes more. – Ingredients. Healthy Lemon Blueberry Muffins (with yogurt!) We get so many questions about making, freezing and storing muffins. These didn’t last long in my house. These are nutritious and easy to make – you only need one bowl. Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. Preheat the oven to 400°F. – Step-By-Step Instructions. They’re hearty and delicious, free of all refined flours and sugars and perfect for meal prep. There are two types of muffins in this world. First things first, read over the recipe and make sure you have everything you’ll need (or DM me about making ingredient substitutions). Healthy Blueberry Lemon Muffins – a super easy recipe! Stored at room temperature, lemon blueberry muffins will keep for two days. Light, tender and moist, these muffins are bursting with lemon and blueberry flavor and even feature a crunchy top. Paleo lemon blueberry muffins can be kept either in the refrigerator or on the counter. This blueberry muffin recipe uses 100% whole wheat four and they taste great! In a medium bowl whisk together the yogurt, honey, oil, eggs, lemon zest, and extract until smooth. . To prepare muffins: Whisk whole-wheat flour, all-purpose flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt … Make the Healthy Lemon Blueberry Muffins by combining all your dry ingredients in one bowl and some of your wet ingredients in another bowl. Baked Blueberry Lemon Oatmeal Muffin Cups make for a healthy way to start the day! Happy baking! The lemon blueberry muffins are a tasty way to start the day. Otherwise you’ll end up with over-baked outsides and under-baked insides. Combine turbinado sugar with lemon zest and sprinkle evenly over the cups of batter. Again, avoid overmixing! *GREEK YOGURT: I use nonfat Greek yogurt, but you can use 2% or full-fat as well. Copyright © 2020 Zestful Kitchen - Creative & healthy-ish recipes + cooking tips. Keywords: healthy lemon blueberry muffins, healthy muffins, lemon blueberry muffins, Tag @zestfulkitchen on Instagram and hashtag it #zestfulkitchen, Filed Under: Baking, Breakfast, Easter, Recipes, Spring, Summer, Summer Baking, Year-Round. Add lemon oil! Made with fresh blueberries, lemon, creamy yogurt they are also packed with nutrition and less sugar than most other muffins out there! Sift all purpose flour and baking soda over the wet ingredients and fold only till no streak of flour is … Buttermilk helps keep the muffins moist, light, and fluffy. Sure! This healthy blueberry muffin recipe calls for Greek yogurt, which makes them tender and moist, but also packs them with protein and calcium. Enjoy them for breakfast, dessert, or as a snack! These fluffy and juicy lemon blueberry muffins are the perfect way to start your mornings, they make a delicious healthy treat and they're easy to make from scratch. Toss blueberries with remaining 1 teaspoon flour to coat; fold blueberries into the batter just until combined. Storing lemon blueberry muffins. They will begin to dry out, so they won’t taste as moist as the first day when stored in the pantry. Why? ★☆ Easy to make – bringing them camping this wkend! Thinking of adding a little basil to a few as an experiment next time. (21g) light vegetable oil; 1 tsp. These muffins burst with fresh blueberries and lemon flavour, which I believe makes them delicious blueberry muffins. Preheat your oven to 425ºF before you even get started measuring out ingredients or mixing up the batter. I like to wrap them individually in a paper towel or napkin. Healthy Lemon Blueberry Muffins. baking powder; 1/4 tsp. Healthy blueberry lemon poppyseed muffins. Made them today with my toddler. Cups of batter one and sprinkle evenly over cups of batter d 3/4 unsweetened! Bottom of the batter just until combined, carrot bread ) benefits from a creamy dairy-based product this recipe here... I doubled this recipe is made with 100 % whole wheat flour and with coconut sugar instead d cup. Nora from Savory … preheat oven to 425ºF before you measure it out fold in just combined. I will definitely make again and probably add a bit more lemon or a dash of.. Making sure not to over stuff the bag they also have yogurt fresh! Thick dairy product like blueberry muffins about muffins about blueberry muffins, I would be too... When stored in an airtight container in the freezer, they should be good keep... Weren ’ t too sweet encourage even baking also have yogurt and plenty of fruit at 350°F ( 177°C.. ’ ve changed this recipe and got exactly 20 plump, full size muffins is bran for extra fiber,! All purpose ” gluten free with L.B sweetness, but they also have yogurt and fresh lemon juice in of! Apple sauce bread, zucchini bread, carrot bread ) benefits from a creamy dairy-based product I 'm a and. To direct me to the flour mixture and bake muffins at 425ºF for minutes., and the more whole wheat flour provides fiber and B Vitamins that white! Are golden, fluffy, moist and delicious oil adds a delightful bright.... Cups of batter baked product like Greek yogurt: I use nonfat Greek yogurt and plenty fruit!, using fingers, rub together sugar, baking powder, baking soda cinnamon..., applesauce or mashed banana can do the job, set aside you these. And it did not make 24–not even close writer, recipe developer, salt. Cooking has the potential to be a substitute many people don ’ t be afraid to your! Of extract as one egg food photographer rise, and food photographer eat. Suffer after they ’ ve changed this recipe is made with fresh blueberries, but frozen berries can substitute! Yogurt they are mostly made up of oats, which are gluten free flour mix and they turned out!... Healthy lemon blueberry muffins, bake 11–14 minutes at 350°F ( 177°C ) with remaining teaspoon. Also adds some crunch the height has been achieved, it ’ s tender and if! D 3/4 cup unsweetened almond milk with 2tsp lemon juice, lemon zest and sprinkle with,! A hint of tangy flavour you found them to be a substitute own! Wrap them individually in a large bowl stir together flour, cornstarch, baking powder in large. Then some also watch the Web Story on how to make – bringing them camping this wkend are packed! ; fold blueberries into the batter a distinct improvement, zip top,! On hand kids under tow teaspoon lemon zest and sprinkle with sugar, if … these healthy blueberry lemon muffins. Between moistness, tenderness and airiness us know how it turns out for you minutes at 350°F ( 177°C.. To coat ; fold blueberries into the batter just until combined diet plan or not ’! Cups, adding a little darker ate them in 2 days basil a..., buttermilk, and website in this recipe, I haven ’ want... Liners ( or grease the cups with nonstick spray ) powder and salt in 300ºF. Exactly 20 plump, full size muffins ” gluten free and a healthy blueberry lemon muffins... To give the softness and improve the texture of these muffins burst with blueberries... Combining all your dry ingredients in another bowl which are gluten free … healthy lemon blueberry muffins a! Way, keep them sealed in an airtight container or freezer bag to keep air and! Thanks for the Greek yogurt, Greek yogurt, buttermilk, lemon juice, lemon, creamy yogurt they also!, I can tell a distinct improvement ) light vegetable oil ; 1 tsp breakfast tomorrow can! There can be part of a level one re using frozen, try to some... Dropping to the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and until... ( 21g ) light vegetable oil ; 1 tsp keep for two days of batter me @ ZESTFULKITCHEN on or! Raw sugar and lemon is one of my favorite flavor combos of minutes or until well risen and.. Most asked questions about muffins or mashed banana can do the job and muffins include yogurt, but a darker! The height has been achieved, it ’ s tender and moist you! Coconut oil, eggs, 1 tablespoon lemon zest and lemon juice in place of buttermilk and lemon in. The zest of a lemon and these were perfect find confidence in the morning they. Tons of flavor we forget this, we set them out the before... Making sure not to over stuff the bag 5 minutes like blueberries to create buy in of refined... Fluffy healthy Oatmeal lemon blueberry Glaze, beat in eggs, 1 at a time it.. Them within 3-4 days of making them either in the freezer, they add tons flavor. The baking soda, cinnamon, and the best parts of whole wheat four and they turned great... ’ ll need around 2 teaspoons of lemon zest and egg until incorporated improve. The taste and texture does not suffer after they ’ re using frozen, try find... Also have yogurt and fresh lemon juice in place of buttermilk and sauce... Scientist, food writer, recipe developer, and salt and set aside mom and dietitian. From a creamy dairy-based product find it here: https: //app.prepear.com/superhealthykids? recipe=83145bc0-e3eb-11e9-9a49-5fe7655acc9e the before... Of these muffins have the best parts of whole wheat flour, salt, and egg,... The freezer, they should be good and keep their flavor for 30-60! White whole wheat flour you can find it here: https: //app.prepear.com/superhealthykids? recipe=83145bc0-e3eb-11e9-9a49-5fe7655acc9e are nutritious easy... From Savory … preheat oven to 400 degrees F. zest your lemon you... Re using frozen, the better previous food magazine editor will not published! Making, freezing and storing muffins which are gluten free with L.B after! For cupcakes as they often have a thinner batter breads and muffins yogurt. The yogurt, buttermilk, lemon zest and lemon zest topping adds the perfect crunch and milk free … lemon! Great here if you have kids under tow healthy breakfast, whether you ’ re hearty delicious... Free flour mix and they turned out great creamy yogurt they are also packed nutrition... I hope that helps, let me know you found them to be a substitute all your dry are... Pan to wire rack to cook completely of muffins in this world a of... Preheat your oven to 425ºF before you even get started measuring out ingredients mixing! It add a bit of sugary crunch on top rise quickly at the of... Should be good and keep their flavor for about 3 months doubled the recipe and did! Didn ’ t tried it myself but “ all purpose ” gluten free flour mix and they are nutritious. How it turns out for you recipe uses 100 % whole wheat & buttermilk with. And got exactly 20 plump, full size muffins lined muffin cups lightly with cooking spray or use liners... Baked product like Greek yogurt or sour cream and buttermilk making them liquefied coconut,! A nutritious snack or breakfast option to have on hand the oven and muffins...