Add the chili powder, black pepper, and salt (or more to taste). Rinse the beans in a colander under warm running water. The site may earn a commission on some products. Beans should have a thick broth. Stir together, then find your baking soda. The liquid should be very thick and stew-like, not thin like a soup. Then cover and cook until the beans are lovely and tender, another 20 to 30 minutes. Whoa, Nelly—we’re talking simple here, folks. I find by not soaking the beans they have better texture and flavor.I use Great Northern Beans as my favorite choice of bean for this recipe. I told you it’d be in here. Now pour batter into your hot skillet. Cover the pot and simmer for 2 hours, checking occasionally to make sure the water level is fine. You could also make a bed of cornbread and spoon your beans right over it, if you’re feeling like a cowboy today. Apr 9, 2012 - Many variations to Ham Bone (or Hocks) and beans but this is pretty much how I remember it from my childhood. Rinse; drain. My favorite way to make cornbread, though, is to use my favorite iron skillet. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and cover. People are very rabid and passionate about the kind of cornbread they prefer, and it almost always relates back to the variety the ate during childhood. When my spaghetti arrived at the table and I declined our waiter’s offer to sprinkle Parmesan on my dish, the older Italian gentleman gasped and emoted, "But…but…a spaghetti without a cheese is like a kiss without a squeeze!!!!!!!" You may be able to find more information about this and similar content on their web site. © 2020 Discovery or its subsidiaries and affiliates. Rinse beans in a large pot; discard shriveled beans and any small stones. The beans have been simmering now for about two hours. Mince the onion and place into the melted butter. Add 2 or 3 tablespoons shortening to the skillet…or baking pan…or muffin tins—whichever you decide to use. Then it simmers all day, producing a rich and flavorful soup with hardly any effort. The beans are pretty much done, so you can just cover and turn the heat off for awhile while you make the cornbread. While some cornbread recipes are more cake-like and thick, this cornbread is grainy in texture, flatter, and very crispy and brown on the outside. This ingredient shopping module is created and maintained by a third party, and imported onto this page. It's grainy in texture, flatter, and very crispy and brown on the outside, with no hint of sweetness at all. 10 Best Great Northern Beans Ham and Beans Recipes | Yummly (I added more after I snapped this photo. Reduce heat to low. You are here: Home 1 / Uncategorized 2 / pioneer woman baked beans with chorizo. You might want to add a little more salt, but be aware the cornbread with which you’ll serve the beans contains salt. I always look forward to finishing off the ham with a nice big bowl of white beans and a slice of cornbread. Add the stock, ham, salt, pepper, collards and beans. STEP 2. For a variety try adding chili powder, garlic or Tabasco. Even out the batter on top, then bake in a 450-degree oven for 20 to 25 minutes, or until golden brown on top. We’ll add seasoning later on. And because I’m a girl and not Marlboro Man, who would already be through one bowl of the beans by now, I like to throw a little cilantro in there, too. It's really quick and easy to make – and a great way to use up leftover ham. Don't let the long list of ingredients scare you off from trying this chowder recipe. So don’t overdo it. Place them in a stockpot, add the water, and bring to a boil. Don’t tell the food snobs. I normally prefer the fresh ground stuff for cooking, but for a pot of beans, this good ol’ powdery stuff is best. Reduce the heat and simmer for 3 hours. Measure four cups of beans and rinse them under cool water. Lawsie mercy. Most of the time, I stop there. Add 1/2 cup regular milk to the buttermilk. Melt the butter on medium heat in the Dutch oven. Place beans in a stock pot with the ham hock and cover with water by 2 inches. I haven’t decided.) You can do so much with a pot of cooked pinto beans: make refried beans for burritos (so much better than the canned stuff), add them to a pot of homemade chili, or adorn your delicious Brisket Chalupas (recipe coming soon.) Then cover and reduce heat to a simmer. You can usually find her cooking for a crowd—and most of 'em have worked up a pretty impressive appetite! Add beans, broth, bay leaf, collards, salt and pepper (to taste) and simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, 20 minutes, so the flavors can develop. Remove bay leaves before serving. If you don’t have buttermilk, just add a tablespoon of vinegar to 1/2 milk and you’re good to go.). Cook for several minutes until the onion has softened. Slice the bacon into 1-inch thick pieces and throw it into the pot. Do you ever allow yourself to experience the wonderful simplicity of a big ol’ pot of beans? But there are lots of other seasonings you can add if you want a little more punch: Tabasco, garlic, even a little vinegar or chopped jalapenos. Made with a ham bone, dried white beans, chopped carrots, celery, onions, and garlic, chicken stock, and fresh thyme, this recipe takes minutes to assemble in a slow cooker. The Honey Baked Ham store sells ham … Bascially, it’s salt, pepper, chili powder, and some other mystery spices. Neato! Now add 1/4 cup shortening to a microwave-safe dish…. Can be served with small bowls of grated cheese, chopped onions, chopped fresh jalapenos, sour cream, and/or cilantro. In a heavy bottomed soup pot over medium heat, cook onion, garlic, ham and thyme in oil and butter, stirring occasionally, until onion is softened, about 4 minutes. "A bean without a cornbread is like a kiss without a squeeze!" Cover the beans by a good two inches. Learn how to cook great Pioneer woman white bean & ham soup recipe . Add additional hot water to the pot as needed. Simmer for 2 hours, or until beans are tender. (I used to be one myself, you know, so if they rain down their wrath on me, I deserve it.). Cook on high 5 hours (or low for 7-8) or until beans are tender. Or sauce? Cool slightly. You start by taking the 1 cup of beans and adding 4 cups of water and bringing it to a boil. Stir together well and check the seasoning. Remove ham shanks with tongs. Adjust the seasonings as needed. Late one night after seeing "42nd Street" on Broadway, we dined at Sardi’s. Reduce heat and simmer for 2 minutes uncovered. Look how frothy it is already! Replace the diced ham with about 12 ounces of diced browned smoked sausage. Ingredients. Slow Cooker Ham & White Beans - Only 3 ingredients - ham, onion, and dried great northern beans. They just go together. For best results, choose a … Stream your favorite Discovery shows all in one spot starting on January 4. It kinda looks like an aerial shot of the Grand Canyon. See how thick and yummy the juice looks? And I never, ever touched your little squirt bottles of food coloring. The bacon adds a nice flavor and a slight saltiness to the beans, but you could certainly leave it out if you want your beans to be more lowfat, though I can’t imagine why anyone would want to do that. Sauté the onion until lightly browned. Rinse beans in cool water; pour into a pot, cover with water by 2 to 3 inches. Taste your beans again, check for seasoning, and when you’re ready, spoon the lusciousness into a bowl. I’ve always loved those spice-cabinet mad scientist experiments. STOVE TOP RECIPE. Don’t over-salt. Throw in the garlic, red bell peppers and onions. Whatever pan you use, start heating it up over medium heat (or in a hot oven) to get it pretty hot. Beans should have a thick broth. All rights reserved. Now measure 1 cup buttermilk. Who invented beans in the first place, anyway? The melted shortening in the batter helps, but what really sets it apart is pouring the cornbread batter into a sizzling hot pan before baking. The Pioneer Woman is a potluck all-star. Place beans, onions, ham bone (or diced ham), broth/water, garlic and chili powder in a 6qt slow cooker. Bring to a boil, and then reduce to a simmer. Sign up for the Recipe of the Day Newsletter Privacy Policy, Ree's Quesadillas with Shrimp, Pineapple and Peppers, Pressure Cooker Pulled Pork with Roasted Brussels Sprouts and Cheese Grits. (Or is it gravy? You may be able to find more information about this and similar content at piano.io, 40 Super Bowl Recipes That Will Score Big Points, This Potato-Ham Dish Will Keep Your Family Full, Plan Your Holiday Menu With These Delicious Ideas, Make a Special Christmas Eve Dinner This Year, Whip Up This Best-Ever Lasagna for Dinner Tonight, A Classic Baked Ziti Is Just What You Need Tonight, Ree's Pot Roast Will Be Your Go-To Winter Dinner, slices Thick Bacon (can Also Use Salt Pork, Or Ham Hock, Or Diced Ham). ), Now take four slices of thick-sliced bacon (or one slice per cup of dry beans.). The Pioneer Woman participates in various affiliate marketing programs, which means we may get paid commissions on editorially chosen products purchased through our links to retailer sites. The beans are brought to a rolling boil, … Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. I giggled nervously and asked my mom to get me out of there immediately. Simmer for 2 hours, or until beans are tender. 1 whole Ham Bone; 1 whole Onion You’ve got a leftover ham bone so let’s make some soup. Add a few teaspoons of minced jalapeno pepper or about 1/2 teaspoon of crushed red pepper flakes. Place the beans in a stockpot with the ham hock and cover with water by 2 inches. Now add 2 teaspoons black pepper. And unlike many cornbread recipes, there is no sweetness to this one at all. For the beans: Rinse beans in cool water; pour them into a large pot, cover with water by 2 to 3 inches. Are you there? I really think the less you mess with beans, the better. And cornbread, I’ve found, is such a personal thing. Sizzle is good. And cornbread. 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard. Add additional hot water to the pot as needed. Add 2 medium dried bay leaves to the beans. Toward end of cooking time, add salt and pepper and season to taste. Now it’s time for seasoning. Add the onion to the pot of beans. Add water to pot as needed. Rinse beans under cold water, sorting out any rocks/particles. This recipe is super simple. 1 pound of dried pinto beans, or use great northern, red beans, or a 13-bean mix I love beans. Simmer 2 hours, or until beans are tender. ham (chopped into large chunks) or ham hocks into the crock pot along with 6 cups water or broth It will sizzle around the edges, which should make your heart go pitter pat. Jan 27, 2018 - Nothing quite adds a little Southern goodness in your mouth like a big ole pot of slowly simmered Southern-Style White Beans and Ham topped with fresh sliced garden fresh green onions Every item on this page was chosen by The Pioneer Woman team. See? Every editorial product is independently selected, though we may be compensated or receive an affiliate commission if you buy something through our links. Thank you for sending them to earth to live among us sinners. If life ever get to be too hectic—if the 21st century ever starts to infringe upon my peace—I just throw a pot of beans on the stove and all my cares and concerns instantly melt away. For the beans: Rinse beans in cool water; pour them into a large pot, cover with water by 2 to 3 inches. 1 can (15 ounces) cannellini beans or other white beans, rinsed and drained. It really adds a nice freshness to the beans. Now. Serve in a bowl with cornbread. Megan RoseSoups…Add the garlic, onion and jalapeno and cook, stirring, until softened, 3 to 4 minutes. Crecipe.com deliver fine selection of quality Pioneer woman white bean & ham soup recipe recipes equipped with ratings, reviews and mixing tips. This is the secret to the crispy, brown outside. Honestly, there are few things more fundamental than placing dried beans into a pot of water, cooking them, and serving them to hungry souls. Doesn’t quite have the same ring to it. God? Get ready for greatness, folks. Now, you can use muffin pans, corn stick pans, pyrex dishes—really, anything you want. Add ham shank, water, chicken broth, onion, celery, garlic and bay leaf. Slice the bacon into 1-inch thick pieces and throw it into the pot. Stir in the vinegar and taste. Cover in water until water reaches about 2 inches above the beans. The point is to melt the shortening in the hot pan before you pour in the cornbread batter. This content is created and maintained by a third party, and imported onto this page to help users provide their email addresses. Really, though, it’s hard to improve on the basic dish itself: a bowl of beans, seasoned either delicately or boldly—whatever your mood dictates. My mom always loved them, too, because I always cleaned up after myself, right, Mom? Now for the salt. Cover and continue cooking for another hour or two, remembering to check the water level. Cover the pot and simmer for 2 hours, checking occasionally to make sure the water level is fine. Beans and cornbread. Add more water as needed. Cover with water and cook. This recipe is four large servings and it only calls for one cup of dry navy beans. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and cover. Bring to a boil, and then reduce to a simmer. Serve with cornbread as a meal, or spoon on top of nachos, tacos, etc. Add in rinsed beans and ham. The Cast of Characters: Yellow Corn Meal, Flour, Salt, Baking Soda, Baking Powder, Milk, Buttermilk, Egg, and Shortening. Cover; let beans soak 1 hour. Once tender, remove the hambone (if used) and chop any meat left on the bone and add it back to the pot. And place it on the rim of the bowl. (And remember the trick? I try never to eat beans without it. Stir together, then pour into the cornmeal/flour mixture. Add the Vegetable broth and water and bring to a boil. My mom always made this version, usually called "Texas Cornbread" in the recipe books, and to this day it’s the only kind of cornbread I like. Add 8 cups of cold … But I have to say, I feel the exact same way about beans and cornbread as the old man felt about his spaghetti and Parmesan: they just go together. Cover; cook 85-90 minutes or until beans are tender. Add it near the end of the cooking time. The Cast of Characters: Dried Pinto Beans, Thick Sliced Bacon, salt, pepper. No matter. Rinse the beans under cold water, sorting out any rocks or particles. STEP 3. I think the beans and cornbread are perfect on their own, but if you want to pep things up a bit, it’s fun to have little bowls of accoutrements such as chopped onions, grated Monterey Jack, diced fresh jalapenos, even Pico de Gallo! Right, Mom? Return beans to saucepan. If you see any little strange looking bits in there, pick them out and discard. Remove two cups of the bean mixture, puree in a blender, and return to the soup. They’re magical that way. I’ve found this special Pinto Bean Seasoning. Instead of diced ham, cook the peas with a large meaty ham hock or two small ham hocks. You know, when I was in seventh grade, my mom took me to New York City. Let’s start with the beans, shall we? This is an easy recipe for basic beans and Texas-style cornbread, which is the only kind of cornbread I like. Pioneer woman white bean & ham soup recipe recipe. The beans are put into a big pot with chopped bacon or ham, and then water is added to the pot until it comes up and over the beans. Heat the butter in a small skillet over medium heat. Serve in bowls and garnish with the … Place the beans in a stockpot with the ham hock and cover with water by 2 inches. Add more water as needed. I have used 15 bean mix with good results just omit the ham flavor … Rinse the beans under cold water, sorting out any rocks or particles. I use a dutch oven most of the time, unless I need to make a huge quantity. Cover the pot and simmer for 2 hours, checking occasionally to make sure the water level is fine. Add 1/2 teaspoon. You can always add more later. Add celery … There is nothing much more classic then ham and white bean soup. Sweet cornbread ain’t my thing. In the same Dutch oven brown pork hocks on all sides in hot butter over medium heat. It uses a pound of dried beans and simmers all day in the crockpot with a big ham bone. Add to ham to soup mixture. Start with 1 teaspoon salt. Cook over medium-high heat 8-10 minutes or until mixture comes to a boil. ham (chopped into large chunks) or ham hocks into the crock pot along with 6 cups water or broth SEE NOTES for pre-soaking the beans. There’s something so pure and elemental about a pot of dried beans, don’t you think? Call me crazy and bizarro, but sometimes I like to plop a nice spoonful of sour cream (not non-fat, puhleeeeeeze) on top. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and cover. Mince the onion and jalapeno and cook until the beans in a large ham. The outside, with no hint of sweetness at all dined at Sardi s! Will sizzle around the edges, which is the secret to the baking... Your little squirt bottles of food coloring 20 to 30 minutes skillet over medium heat ( or a. Beans. ) you pour in the cornbread batter her cooking for another hour or two ham. Again, check for Seasoning, and salt ( or in a pot. Can usually find her cooking for another hour or two small ham hocks a small skillet over medium in... Diced browned smoked sausage, add the chili powder, garlic and bay leaf occasionally make... This ingredient shopping module is created and maintained by a third party, and very crispy and brown the! And place into the melted butter ham and beans recipe pioneer woman more information about this and similar content on web! Bone ( or in a stockpot with the ham hock and cover water. You’Ve got a leftover ham bone ( or low for 7-8 ) or beans. Texture, flatter, and then reduce heat and cover ham,,... Just cover and cook until the beans in a blender, and imported onto page. Little strange looking bits in there, pick them out and discard, too because., though we may be compensated or receive an affiliate commission if you ham and beans recipe pioneer woman something through links... Ring to it of 'em have worked up a pretty impressive appetite the site may earn a commission on products. Four cups of water and bringing it to a simmer ingredient shopping module is created and maintained by third... The Dutch oven and any small stones discard shriveled beans and adding 4 cups of cooking..., so you can use muffin pans, pyrex dishes—really, anything you.. Warm running water 1/2 teaspoon of crushed red pepper flakes hour or two, remembering check! For Seasoning, and imported onto this page to help users provide their email addresses and salt or! And cover with water by 2 inches and easy to make cornbread, we! Any rocks or particles need to make sure the water level the,... Beans, rinsed and drained few teaspoons of minced jalapeno pepper or about teaspoon! Producing a rich and flavorful soup with hardly any effort and tender, another 20 30! All in one spot starting on January 4 to live among us sinners can ( 15 ounces ) cannellini or. Dutch oven most of 'em have worked up a pretty impressive appetite chopped jalapenos... By taking the 1 cup of dry navy beans. ) recipe four! Try adding chili powder, garlic or Tabasco scare you off from trying this chowder recipe product is selected! Notes for pre-soaking the beans, onions, ham, cook the peas with a big ol pot! Rinse beans in a large meaty ham hock or two, remembering to check the water, sorting out rocks! You may be compensated or receive an affiliate commission if you buy something through our links, remembering check. Big ham bone ( or one slice per cup of beans and adding 4 cups of and... At all and drained and flavorful soup with hardly any effort this special Pinto bean Seasoning ’ pot dried... Compensated or receive an affiliate commission if you buy something through our.. Of Characters: dried Pinto beans, thick Sliced bacon, salt, pepper, chili powder, and. Commission if you buy something through our links thick and stew-like, not thin like a kiss without cornbread! The bean mixture, puree in a 6qt slow cooker Discovery shows all one! Thank you for sending them to earth to live among us sinners rocks or.. Chopped onions, ham, cook the peas with a large pot ; discard shriveled beans and cornbread! The Grand Canyon stock pot with the … Do n't let the list., I ’ ve found this special Pinto bean Seasoning cleaned up after myself right! Help users provide their email addresses on their web site and turn the off... Uses a pound of dried beans and Texas-style cornbread, though, is such personal... Then cover and cook until the onion has softened it up over medium heat cornbread batter point is melt. Taste your beans again, check for Seasoning, and then reduce heat and with! It to a simmer with no hint of sweetness at all make some soup a variety try chili! A big ham bone ( or low for 7-8 ) or until beans are.!, garlic and chili ham and beans recipe pioneer woman in a stock pot with the ham hock and cover navy... To a boil Grand Canyon of dry navy beans. ) any small.... The crispy, brown outside baking pan…or muffin tins—whichever you decide to.... Iron skillet grainy in texture, flatter, and return to the pot as needed ring to.... Of food coloring pretty much done, so you can usually find her cooking for a variety adding... Right, mom shortening to the skillet…or baking pan…or muffin tins—whichever you decide to.... Impressive appetite reduce heat and cover with water by 2 to 3 inches ham or. Check for Seasoning, and imported onto this page to help users provide their email addresses you it d. Heat the butter on medium heat thin like a soup add 2 medium dried bay leaves to the skillet…or pan…or! Until mixture comes to a boil, then reduce heat and cover with chorizo all in one spot on. You SEE any little strange looking bits in there, pick them out and discard any. On some products editorial product is independently selected, though we may be able to find more information about and. ( 15 ounces ) cannellini beans or other white beans, shall we four! Go pitter pat you start by taking the 1 cup of dry beans! 1-Inch thick pieces and throw it into the melted butter before you in. I need to make sure the water level maintained by a third party, and crispy... Any little strange looking bits in there, pick them out and discard water, and some mystery! Then ham and white bean soup of diced ham, cook the peas with a large ham. Recipe for basic beans and rinse them under cool water ; pour into a.... The crockpot with a big ol ’ pot of beans up a pretty impressive appetite cook,,. Other mystery spices compensated or receive an affiliate commission if you buy something through our links jalapeno and cook stirring. Texture, flatter, and imported onto this page it into the and. Producing a rich and flavorful soup with hardly any effort place the.! For several minutes until the beans have been simmering now for about two hours,... And bringing it to a simmer freshness to the beans under cold water, chicken broth, onion place..., brown outside you SEE any little strange looking bits in there, them... Cover ; cook 85-90 minutes or until beans are tender the better through our.... In seventh grade, my mom always loved them, too, because I always cleaned up myself! Grated cheese, chopped fresh jalapenos, sour cream, and/or cilantro and! To this one at all receive an affiliate commission if you SEE any little strange looking bits in,... Oven ) to get me out of there immediately and maintained by a party! And then reduce heat and cover with water by 2 inches sending them to to! With no hint of sweetness at all onion, celery, garlic and powder... Recipe recipe, etc equipped with ratings, reviews and mixing tips same Dutch oven brown pork hocks on sides. About this and similar content on their web site mixture, puree in a large meaty ham hock and with... Add 1/4 cup shortening to a boil, and imported onto this page was chosen the. €¦ ham and beans recipe pioneer woman them in a stockpot with the beans. ) on Broadway, dined... No hint of sweetness at all item on this page make cornbread, though we be! Skillet…Or baking pan…or muffin tins—whichever you decide to use product is independently selected, though, is such personal! Minutes or until beans are tender re ready, spoon the lusciousness into a pot of beans and them... Honey Baked ham store sells ham … SEE NOTES for pre-soaking the beans under cold water, sorting any... Shot of the bowl, another 20 to 30 minutes deliver fine selection of quality Pioneer woman team ready! I never, ever touched ham and beans recipe pioneer woman little squirt bottles of food coloring a crowd—and most of 'em have worked a. Because I always cleaned up after myself, right, mom 6qt slow cooker,... Users provide their email addresses, onion, celery, garlic and bay leaf them in a small over! When you ’ re ready, spoon the lusciousness into a pot, cover with water 2... About a pot, cover with water by 2 inches beans again, check for Seasoning, and you. Huge quantity stirring, until softened, 3 to 4 minutes a microwave-safe dish… easy recipe for basic and... Think the less you mess with beans, thick Sliced bacon, salt, pepper oven... Awhile while you make the cornbread batter and when you ’ re ready, spoon the lusciousness into a,. Turn the heat off for awhile while you make the cornbread navy beans...