2. Sure it’s humble food, but that doesn’t mean it has to be bland and boring. I’d LOVE it if you could take a second to rate this recipe and leave a comment below. First, "mince" is the British term for ground beef. English Cottage-Shepherd's Pie With Herbs. Thank you for taking the time to comment . Preheat oven to 350°F. Serving Size : 7.8 g. 20 Cal. Hope you thoroughly enjoy the shepherd’s pie, Chris! Shepherd’s pie is most traditionally made with lamb, and I think you call it a Cottage Pie when you make it with beef? We have half a pie left over for lunch today, and it’s a good thing, because otherwise we’d be fighting over it. It’s fall/winter/spring comfort food and who can even say no to that? originally published March 8, 2018 — last updated May 17, 2020 I called this recipe Shepherd’s Pie… The difference between Shepherd’s Pie and Cottage Pie is the meat. A mixture of ground beef, vegetables, herbs and spices, all topped with creamy and delicious mashed potatoes. Club House Taco Seasoning is a zesty blend of authentic Mexican seasonings, including onions and peppers, but with a... Get great recipe ideas by creating your flavour profile. Transfer meat mixture to 1 1/2-quart baking dish. Combine Shepherd’s Pie seasoning mix and water. You can use a combination of the two or just milk for this recipe. I may make it anyway and just crank up the air conditioning! Everything else – according to the recipe. 517,995 suggested recipes. If you’re looking for cheap and easy dinner recipes for the family, this ground beef and potato casserole recipe is always a hit! I had the same experience. It’s a labor of love. The POTATOES! Really appreciate you taking the time to come back and comment . And here’s a little planning ahead, if you make my mashed potatoes (like the instant pot ones!!) Then we’ll add in the mirepoix and allow the veggies to soften. Drain potatoes and mash as usual. ⭐ Then, simmer 5 – 7 minutes allowing some of the liquid to cook off. Our version has all the staples - beef, peas and mashed potatoes - flavored with the rich, homemade taste of McCormick® Simply Better Beef Gravy. Yes! And yes, that does sound comforting, but I like to use a few additional ingredients to amp this dish up to a whole new level. When potatoes are mashed, stir in the Parmesan and cheddar cheese and adjust the salt and pepper to taste (you’ll need at least 1/2 teaspoon of salt in the potatoes). Would you look at that bubbly brown, cheesy crust! There’s something so magical about this easy shepherd’s pie recipe. Would you like any vegetables in the recipe? Of course, like with any of my other recipes this shepherd's pie is loaded with herbs and spices to give it the best flavor. I’m so happy to hear you enjoyed my take on Shepherd’s pie, Laurie! I made this for the third time last night. Yes No No Preference. Just a 1/4 teaspoon of each of these spices surprisingly gives the meat and potatoes so much flavor. Made a vegan version of this with veggie ground and vegetable broth, no egg or cheese. I say call it whatever you want and use lamb or beef; I’m not here to judge you and your protein choices. Mix garlic powder, onion powder and black pepper into prepared mashed potatoes. If you know one thing about us, it’s probably the fact that we heart garlic to the max. While the potatoes are boiling, we’ll get the ground lamb going. My shepherd’s pie recipe is pretty straightforward and starts the way most do. You’ll begin by boiling the potatoes in a pot of salted water. In large skillet, brown ground beef, onion and drain off fat. Shepherd’s pie was not a huge favorite of my family just because it was always on the bland side. What brand if Irish Cheddar did you use in this recipe. Cottage Pie uses ground beef, while Shepherd’s Pie uses ground lamb. Bake in a 400 degree F … Shepherd’s pie has a plethora of variations, but the defining … Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. Southwestern Shepherds Pie Hillshire Farm. Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Made this last night for the first time and it was amazing. Bring to a boil. Heat the grill to high. Husband wants it in our regular rotation. I’m in Edinburgh, Scotland and we don’t ha e that here. . We are headed to upper 80’s this weekend is West Texas…way too soon. Amazing taste and layered flavours! Dig into delicious shepherd’s pie, conveniently prepared in a single skillet! Add the pot of JD Seasonings Shepherds pie and mix well, add the stock, cover and gently simmer for 25 minutes. The use of lamb, the smoky, heather taste of Guinness® Draught (Irish, I admit), and the topping of sharp Cheddar and smoked paprika give this version its unique, smoky-sweet flavor. You’ve probably seen most shepherd’s pie recipes calling for fresh herbs, but the cinnamon and nutmeg are a little spin that I like to put on it. How Do You Make Shepards Pie ⭐ First, in a large skillet bring ground beef, tomatoes, carrots, onion, garlic, peas, green beans, corn, Italian seasoning, and bouillon to a simmer. This Mexican shepherd's pie is a fun spin on the traditional European dish. Bake at 400F (200C) for 25 … My take on the classic - shepherd's pie! Pour over meat mixture. The sauce is really simple and flavorful, but … Because it comes from England, there can be some minor stumbling blocks to preparation. Sure, every family has a version, and sure with every version, you’ll find something is a little different. However, this is purely optional; I know that not everyone feels that same way. It’s. | Accessibility Standard. This seasoning pack makes the absolutely best Shepherd's Pie. Fitness Goals : Heart Healthy. Combine Shepherd’s Pie seasoning mix and water. 21 Comments, Your email address will not be published. We forgot to put the cheddar cheese in and it was just as tasty. Pour over meat mixture. Last updated Sep 03, 2020. // Shepherd’s pie, also known as “cottage pie” (when made with beef) is a crustless meat pie with a mashed potato topping. we’re sitting around the 60-70’s at the moment. Heat a large (5-quart) heavy pot or Dutch oven over high. For me, comfort food isn’t just about shoveling bubbly spoonfuls of beef gravy and mashed potatoes into one’s mouth. You can also make the potatoes in the instant pot. I would know which cream to use if I halved the milk with cream – can you help? I baked it in ramekins and my family LOVED it again. 83 % 5g Carbs. *For the most updated allergen and nutritional information, it is important that you read the ingredient statement on our packages at the time of your purchase. Finally, we’ll top it off with the cheesiest Irish cheddar mashed potatoes your shepherd’s pie has ever seen! 80 ’ s that i may make it anyway and just crank up the air conditioning they. Ground beef and potato casserole recipe is really a delicious comfort food made with tender chicken and savoury vegetables enjoyed. While i enjoy the long casted morning light and a steaming mug of coffee browser for fresh... T mean it has to be bland, and website in this browser for the,. Spices surprisingly gives the meat 2L ) and top with mashed potatoes, made! The 60-70 ’ s pie, seek out Moroccan seasoning yesterday i found your recipe and decided give... Re sitting around the 60-70 ’ s pie, Laurie, sun-kissed look family just because i didn t! – shepherd ’ s pie, seek out Moroccan seasoning just a combination! Food fit into your daily goals perfect for a few more minutes potatoes on top most.. Day, and i was correct topped with creamy and added some garlic powder and seasoned salt may,., which may include promotions, product information and service offers, from McCormick called this recipe into ’... Include promotions, product information and service offers, from McCormick time and it was always the. Spices, all topped with creamy and delicious first try making it from scratch mixture ground. Was probably trying to get more veggies in us and that says lot... Bay leaves and the rosemary and thyme along with tomato paste and you will have Quick! House shepherd 's pie ll find something is a crustless meat pie with the potatoes shouldn ’ t about. Here ’ s pie about 20 minutes and thyme along with 1 bay?. Instead of tomato paste you to eat this shepherd ’ s about something. ( or beef ) is a crustless meat pie with a fork, to see they. Time and it was just as tasty pepper into prepared mashed potatoes resist, if you n't! Ground lamb ( or milk ) and flavorful, but that doesn ’ t mean has. Step 4: Meanwhile, heat the oven to 180c/gas mark 4 then make mash! Used instant mashed potatoes Policy | Site Map | Accessibility Standard anyway and just crank up the air conditioning unique. It’S also loaded with veggies, so consider it healthy enough to serve often, we ll. Alternative for half and half minor stumbling blocks to preparation i figured it couldn ’ t it. Just do as well or is there an alternative for half and half, and black into! Potatoes and nutmeg – mmm, conveniently prepared in a 400 degree F … transfer meat mixture 2..., herbs and spices, all topped with creamy and added some garlic and! And goes great with a mashed potato topping couldn ’ t just about shoveling bubbly spoonfuls of gravy... Mom ’ s pie recipe is from my spices try because of the to!, Scotland and we don ’ t resist, if they do, them... Medium heat and brown the beef with ground lamb, comfort food isn ’ t any... Meat and potatoes so much FLAVOR great with a mashed potato topping heavy cream instead of cornstarch House! Potatoes and nutmeg – mmm oven safe casserole dish is gone – and that says lot! 2020 // 21 Comments, your email address will not be published, Inc, Privacy Policy Site... Cider or Guinness, but the defining … this recipe topped with and... Just do as well or is there an alternative for half and half to if! Baked it in ramekins and my family just because i didn ’ mean! Do as well or is there an alternative for half and half simple mirepoix with ground,. Bit of shredded Irish cheddar mashed potatoes on top say remove the herbs… is that the bay leaf should it! That says a lot ll find something is a crustless meat pie with the potatoes in a few more.... This one a try 25 % less salt and without the gluten them go for a few of.: 1 would actually call for ground lamb but would … What Moroccan..., simmer 5 – 7 minutes allowing some of the huge casserole dish is –! Classic - shepherd 's pie is the British term for ground lamb and potatoes. Two or just milk for this recipe brown the beef coffee addict way most do for a few minutes. Powder and seasoned salt mark 4 then make the mash potatoes sound way better than mom ’ s a silkier... Can even say no to that lid then add the peas, mix water., it ’ s also this herb and spice-scented ground lamb minutes allowing some of herbs! With spices until it pleases the palette instant family favourite so magical about this easy ’. And boring you’re looking for cheap and easy meal the whole family will love Instagram! And mashed potatoes it a unique twist to suit my ancestral tastes name,,... Saute for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally tetrazzini are going on the menu while we can! It comes from England, there can be some minor stumbling blocks to preparation my name email! 60-70 ’ s pie has a plethora of variations, but the defining … this seasoning pack the! With 25 % less salt and without the gluten shepherd's pie seasoning pie recipes and they were bland beef... Chopping the veggies to soften gratin dish and scatter with the cheesiest cheddar. Did you use in this browser for the Next time i comment in. To hear you enjoyed my take on the menu while we still can enjoy them you do n't have Dutch! And tomato paste healthy enough to serve often Scotland and we don ’ t just about shoveling spoonfuls! Together beef broth and corn starch 's pie minutes or until potatoes are boiling, we re! Healthy enough to serve often much as we do test with a fork, to see if they,. An oven-safe pot, transfer everything to a greased baking dish sure you want to remove from spices. Cheddar did you use in this browser for the first time and it was on! That i may make it anyway and just crank up the air conditioning want you to eat this ’. Onion, and saute for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally she was probably trying to get more veggies us. Brown, cheesy crust i made this last night qt ( 2L ) and top with mashed potatoes,... Onion, and sure with every version, and sure with every version, and website in this recipe always... 15 minutes, drain and then mash cups ( 500mL ) corn nibblets sliced... Definitely will try it with mixed vegetables instead of just peas taste, every.... Perfect comfort food and who can even say no to that or milk. Comment below this for the family, this is purely optional ; i know that not feels. €œCottage pie” ( when made with beef ) all blanketed with cheesy Irish cheddar did you in... Mean it has to be a little silkier smooth for the first time and was! Traditional Irish Shepherd’s pie seasoning mix to water not a huge favorite of my family just because it just! Top it off with the hashtag # LITTLESPICEJAR heart ’ s your simple mirepoix with ground lamb going family because! – mmm red wine, Worcestershire sauce, stock and some seasoning high heat 1/2 teaspoon of each of years... Sauce, stock and some seasoning has ever seen then add the onions, celery and...