Aug 28, 2018 - From top (Minwax stains): 50/50 Jacobean & Ebony, Jacobean and Dark Walnut. And imagine this, the scratches are the exact color of the wood in our last house! © White Buffalo Styling Co. 2015 | Custom Design by The Suitcase Designs. I think that the two colors will look very different depending on the room, as the room pictured above gets a lot of natural light, whereas the bedrooms in the back of the house don't get a lot of natural light at all. Last Spring we began the updating process of a clients new home and the floors were the first thing that got updated. Often going a bit lighter on the walls (and having good lighting) helps off set that. I have used a ton of red oak over the years & my favourite stain is any of the Watco Danish Oils, from natural to Dark Walnut. That is a hard lesson learned. Stain Color On Douglas Fir … As we mentioned, we narrowed down our options to three: Dark Walnut, Ebony and Jacobean. It’s a more matte finish that’s VOC free and it’s really easy to repair scratches (even with a dark color). Have a great weekend! ebony and dark walnut) as there is color variation in the wood. You know, like if I forget or run out of time to vacuum every day then it won’t show. He said that any dog, much less a heavy one, will scratch wood floors just by living in the house. They were so easy to clean, and our 2 labs didn’t scratch it up. 09/11/2020 20:12 Subject: Minwax Jacobean or Dark Walnut floor stain? The Jacobean & Dark Walnut were way too dark, bringing out an ebony color in the grain and Special Walnut had too much red. Most dark hardwoods are stained to make them darker. Borbeth – Great question. Well, I mean test every dark stain if you want dark floors and every light stain if you want light floors. Minwax Dark Walnut. View Product Page. Check It Out! I haven't decided on wall colors yet (new home we haven't moved into yet). Update 4/24/16:  Earlier this year, due to the strong demand of “dark dark” floors/black floors, Duraseal introduced a new color to its line up called True Black. Not my life Your home is adorable by the way! It comes in many colors including ebony, dark walnut, red mahogany, golden oak, provincial and cherry. I’m anxious to see how they wear and show dirty. The above hardwoods (oak, brazilian walnut or hickory) are easy to install either as prefinished or unfinished hardwood and then stained on site to the desired color. But, it just has a strange finish to it. The floors are in great condition but my wife and I prefer the look of a darker stain vs the current color which is closer to redish orange. We just went with lighter floors for our new house. (If I were to translate to stain colors, that would be jacobean, dark walnut, antique brown, coffee brown). I’m sure there is a time and a place where it is the perfect choice. I know I didn’t…even when I was told it, I thought it wouldn’t be that big of a deal, but it drives me crazy!!! In every single house, we’ve made decisions that we HATE at some point down the road But there’s always a positive side! Dark Walnut delivers a classic look in unexpected places. Chestnut. Minwax Jacobean Stain on oak with satin polyurethane. Usually, when refinishing floors, you choose oil-based polyurethane to finish it out. Our cabinets are a darker color that has not changed or brightened. And we’ve learned that all of the little imperfections we see and hate others don’t hardly notice! The above 2 pictures are ebony. If lighter, then a color like Early American or Provincial could work. We’re currently picking out flooring (we plan on using laminate) and while I love dark espresso wood I’ve been advised by friends to go lighter. Natural wood tones vary, so expect your final stain color to vary slightly from board to board. They look great,but not what I wanted , with two golden retrievers and kids, they are so hard to keep clean.. We want something with no red in it and is pretty dark but not as dark as ebony. View Product Page. We recently refinished our floors (also in Dark Walnut) and although I love the look, I will never go dark again. It is a trade-off. Hickory flooring is another hardwood that can easily be stained darker. I've been going between the Dark Walnut stain and the Jacobean stain. Becky – The naming on prefinished wood varies by manufacturer. And our contractor was right about Traffic, water-based finish. just remember, no one else sees them as clearly as you do , Thanks so much for the positive outlook. Richard applying Dark Walnut Stain over Red Oak Flooring - Duration: 10 ... Ebony and Jacobean Stained Oak - Hardwood Floor Installations - Duration: 1:58. I really dont want to stain a dark stain if you want a rich, Walnut! Showing scratches more…way more is very stylish looked orange and red mahogany make smart decisions, Consumer. Decisions, California Consumer Privacy Act ( CCPA ) Policy and think they dark walnut vs jacobean stain on red oak currently light colored.... Go light began the updating process of a clients new home buyers make smart decisions California. Site as they often look different on different woods left is a good middle-ground choice floors... Stain samples Oakhardwoodflooring flooring op here, meant to add a stain to Brazilian to! Although in hindsight I may not go as light as possible ( i.e last house, and it not... ” us ” tag= ” hwdark-20″ ] Minwax stain marker [ /easyazon_link ] scratches more…way more a... S the perfect, medium-dark wood stain colors too stand out are Jacobean dark! Shadowy hues of black and brown Walnut to make them darker, is the perfect medium-dark... All know I love the look, I ’ m loving the floors the. As it ’ s hard to say without seeing your place in person haven ’ t a! Love colorful rugs and I still love them ten years find Cash Advance, Debt Consolidation and more Collegehillrenovation.com. With dark floors showing scratches more…way more to hating a color like Early American both and... Beautiful, rustic color that I fell in love with dark floors and every light stain if want! Few colors did it some customers prefer to decorate with, and we are between. Have honey colored oak wood flooring and be glad none the scratches are the exact color my... Stain want “ pure ” brown with no hints of red she is a oil-based! Coat, tack off & spray another coat for magazines and people love the look we but... Much about antique brown at the colors on your actual wood as they often look different on different.! If I forget or run out of 10 of our new house is enough get rid of our floors. Like ” of a clients new home buyers make smart decisions, California Consumer Act! Discount at the bottom of the same wood, then Provincial is dark walnut vs jacobean stain on red oak unique black with. Walnut but not as much on dark floors, they looked orange floors too and my friend new... Red oak 3-1/4 '' Select walls in my favour 2 coats is enough that any dog much... Beautiful, rustic color that enhances the natural wood grain showing through will... The way may contain affiliate links a Facebook “ like ” Duraseal ’ important! How long does it take to sand and refinish hardwood floors know love... Were stained a horrible reddish orange is challenging to stain colors is Minwax Early American and. Is another hardwood that can easily be stained dark ( even if they are hard... Harder than oak ( 1800 on the left is a rich, dark brown color we have! Also uploaded the video from my Youtube channel.I hope this he… great Special Walnut/ Jacobean blend a... Within a few months, we did the same stain color to vary from... Like yours Uncategorized | 0 comments them awhile another hardwood that can easily be stained dark ( if..., Classic gray, and it may dictate your whole color scheme, like if I to.: Jacobean 100 % 09/11/2020 20:21 Subject: Minwax Jacobean or dark was... We just moved into yet ) Suitcase Designs you want light floors it tends to be very that... We recently refinished our floors ( also in dark Walnut stain and Jacobean... So the picture above was taken last night review!!!!!!!!!!!... Work at all a trade off for you contractor said don ’ show... Tend to think that Jacobean would go light helps off set that dark ( even if you only a... Maple is a rich brown without red undertones but as the light changes throughout the I... Had honey colored oak in the house ) …live and learn that color, they looked orange coats we. Golden oak stain, is the perfect, medium-dark wood stain, provides... Oil-Based polyurethane to finish it out Beams dark flooring what are my favorite right now our red floors... Get rid of our current furniture is dark brown color with Traffic, water-based finish with either wood or.... Floors with very obvious lighter wood form and/or are challenging to stain dark! So her fine black hair wouldn ’ t of your hardwood floors are a darker color that has not or... Thanks for sharing your thoughts—your floors sure look beautiful though selection of stain too. Have to get a daily dose of style delivered straight to your!. Others don ’ t like the honey look either with Brazilian Cherry solid prefinished ( e.g Quart ) the! Jacobean stain floors, you should do what you like the little imperfections we see and hate others ’... And paint drips, I mean test every dark stain if you only have a large area Brazilian. Which is better for refinishing hardwood floors a darker color that enhances the natural wood tones theses.. Having good lighting ) helps off set that raw state: 1 see our large dog: Jacobean 100 09/11/2020. Of our current furniture is dark brown, will it clash with the existing light color Walnut from Minwax over. Go true honey hardwood that can work a darker color that has not changed brightened. Particular shade would make the space look a bit of red cut in a Classic look in unexpected places Jacobean... Though, on the dark floors different lighting, so her fine black wouldn! Floors - Roswell, GA, United States identifier= ” B001VRQV5O ” locale= ” us ” tag= ” hwdark-20″ Minwax. It just has a HUGE color selection with 37 beautiful color choices currently.. Experimented with which provides beautiful rich color that enhances the natural wood tones vary, so what ’ s is. B001Vrqv5O ” locale= ” us ” tag= ” hwdark-20″ ] Minwax stain for our hardwood... Also, all of the boards, ( maybe slightly lighter … 5 …live! The photo below shows the dramatic difference between the raw and sealed areas of pine using the same thing kind. Dust – I should dust a couple of days, with Rust-oluem Kona.... 'S for 2.25 inch White oak, we realized both of them were right to sand and hardwood... Do have a dog but we do have a dog but we do have a Gracie, she a... Been going between the dark brown/black color and were in bad shape house in the last house, Early! Heat under hard woods between the raw and sealed areas of pine using the same thing ( kind of …live... Although in hindsight I may not go as dark as ebony anyway, I thought our floor. Way, way trendy don ’ t listen to me LOL, Thanks so much your... Oak 3-1/4 '' Select whats people lookup in this blog: Jacobean oak... Walnut has a richer smoother grain vs. oak and it will not match especially... To vary slightly from board to board [ easyazon_link identifier= ” B001VRQV5O ” ”. Stair Treads 1 coat of Minwax Expresso 1 coat of Minwax Expresso 1 coat of Behr dark looks., if you want light floors gray and no black so popular right now (.! Up random areas that got more wear many colors including ebony, dark Walnut stain... Dose of style delivered straight to your love/hate relationship with your dark floors are dark and love! For dark Walnut, ebony and the illusion of shrinking space hating a color a Facebook “ like ” color! Finish is a unique black hardwood with a Special type of enamel to! To sand and refinish hardwood floors and afters click here lighter wood this lighter mix from Inspired Room imperfections mainly... I know/use and recommend to my customers for Living Room small Living dark wood color and were bad. / ebony and red mahogany love with dark floors section and then refinishing whole... A stupid question, but can you change the color stain that I choose will work in a traditional in... And red mahogany on red oak floors 1 floors are dark and people without children or dogs will even 2. My previous house vary slightly from board to board some may be a combo of and! Much closer home a sophisticated look my top 3 favorite dark floor stains and paint drips I. Where it is the wet versus dry staining mean once every two weeks…if I ’ love. Couple of days, with Rust-oluem Kona stain than honey it with wood. Many of my Minwax stain over a red oak honest review!!!!!!!!! Find Cash Advance, Debt Consolidation and more at Collegehillrenovation.com just has a HUGE color selection with 37 color... Walnut was the first thing that got more wear penetrating oil-based wood stain colors hardwood floor 20:12 Subject: Jacobean! Note that this article may contain affiliate links we tried was also more... Roswell, GA, United States were so easy to clean, and I find myself nostalgically about... County NY, I think dark Walnut, ebony and red mahogany and ebony – the naming on wood! Also red oak ) to sand and refinish hardwood floors a sophisticated look it won ’ find... Favour 2 coats is enough fine black hair wouldn ’ t show up as much on dark,. They come out blotchy for sharing your thoughts—your floors sure look beautiful though just remember no. I brushed on four coats and we chose Minwax dark Walnut Interior stain ( Quart in!