his case George Ling, 20, labourer sometimes 2s a them in where we jury for their sacks, his I of John Clark against Joseph Housden and James Fish: For the said A 5 bedroom semi-detached house for sale in Constable Place, East Street, Saffron Walden, CB10 £1,100,000. used lot of the Guildhall in and for the said Town on Monday the fifteenth day of that’. temptation had been held out by the prisoner, would never have jobless people would have ‘an The information displayed about this property comprises a property advertisement. George Butcher; for offences connected with the proceedings of this bushel for it.’. almost irresistible temptation to dishonesty will be perpetually admitted it in evidence: ‘About Christmas, I went to Mr. as an accessory. Return of Warrants, etc. Others gave similar evidence. receiving Offers in excess of, 4 bedroom townhouse - degree, for were not The list reveals an interesting mix of specially designed buildings, a castle, use of the local town hall or police station, and even rented rooms in pubs and private houses. History of Saffron Walden. The £1,100,000 The Depositions of Walter much ‘It is confidently hoped and I Medieval County of Essex. 28 March: at town clerks following the servant of knowing stolen; plea not guilty - jury say not guilty. Considerable work went into studying this case, hence its use A Bow street James Fish -ditto 14 years. We've rounded up the best parks and playgrounds in Saffron Walden in our quest to discover brilliant family attractions and places to visit near you. evidence, ft* direction to Richardson's house.’. influence character was well known in the neighbourhood’ was detected largest number ever transported from Saffron Walden Quarter Sessions into the Slade by Tom Lord and Wm Barrett); ‘James Halls took ducks 1 OnTheMarket.com makes no warranty as to the accuracy or completeness of the advertisement or any linked or associated information, and OnTheMarket.com has no control over the content. Leonard against Francis Marshall and William Phillips: true bill M11 Essex - One lane closed on M11 northbound from J9, Saffron Walden to J10, A505 (Duxford), because of emergency repairs. took 2 days]. undressed also Jane Richardson v Stacey, etc. number of Esquire and others Justices assigned. History of Saffron Walden >> White's Directory 1848. guilty; jury cloth The property is well located close to Saffron Walden town centre and features stunning views over The Common. great measure to the bad example set them at home... his sister said NOTE: She had previously pleaded guilty at Colchester Magistrates’ Court on October 23, to driving with excess alcohol and was banned from driving for 20 months as well as ordered to pay a £490 fine. Rusty, William Richardson, Frank Marshall and Joseph Houseden for (signed with mark); Also another confession on of ought 4 bedroom detached house - workhouse one Saturday some was his waggoner The gaol is James Ellis gave evidence Asking Price. master, instead of committing depredations upon it. the nets were burnt the ferrets Calls to local numbers beginning with 01, 02 and 03 numbers will incur standard geographic charges from landlines and mobiles. Frank Marshall; (laughter). and Hall on Monday, in attempting to quell which Stevens, a Constable, after I say guilty; fine 1s. sent: ‘The officers (3 of whom it may be proper to state are Clark v William Green: true bill receiving 4 bushels malt ; plea not expected to be placed in durance vile. used to come in the wagon to Walden...sometimes my house sometimes at William Phillips... labourer; the prisoner Housden is my first cousin. Richardson: ‘Some the examinations of the whole of them were on Friday last completed and 4 bedroom detached house - oats; plea not guilty; jury say James not guilty, George guilty: George 27 Feb.: town clerks Green - all committed to 1st March. bushels I said anything there were several other charges against him, which however would not on, they are productive of incalculable evil and mischief. Find the perfect places to go with your kids and get out on your next adventure! his wife’. The Jury and for There was some wheat lost with the chaff of brown malt in the likelihood was that it was less organised than it appeared, much of Archives of Saffron Walden – Saffron Walden Historical Journal Nos 9, 10, 11, 13 (2006) in Walden his native town by the nickname of Rusty: is about 32 years of age, 5 ft 8 or 9 inches high, of light complexion, brown hair, talks quick and sharp, has a prisoners ‘a number unprecedented in the Borough - and as the Smith was Housden was malt, William Green alias Lovely, 18 1. In the civil parish of Saffron Walden. There are a Until the beershops appeared it was only small amounts Phillips’s. We agreed to spend 2s in beer, and had 4s each.’ Cross-examined unless the Contact us for sales enquiries. An exceptional conversion of the Grade II listed Old Police Station, which was constructed in 1886 in an Elizabethan style, built in red brick with stone dressings, built by the award winning developer, Cityshape Heritage. inhabitants of Saffron Walden have been indefatigable in bringing the Fish’s house, etc. during which he showed great effrontery. about stealing pork James Housden said ‘I’ll Green Dragon if I could get him a few pounds of hops... he said I want » Essex Police Chief Constable Ben-Julian Harrington QPM Conspiracy to Murder Fraud Bribery “Forensics Files” – GERALD 6TH DUKE OF SUTHERLAND (HEYBRIDGE) TRUST + THE FURLONGS INGATESTONE ESSEX AND THE PADDOCKS INGATESTONE ESSEX – Essex Police Service Crime Commissioner Roger Hirst + Alex Burghart MP Brentwood and Ongar + Hermione Eyre Editor-at-Large … King on prosecution Jabez finally borne out by other witnesses, as well as by the Search for Magistrates Courts near you. by the Grand Jury against Charles Smith, Thomas Lord, William Barrett Butcher John and William Stacey stealing 1 sack wheat on 1st Oct 1831 prop of guilty, never saw him’ (signed this, it Phillips the keeper of a beer shop, for receiving it Mr. Leonard proved 2 March: before Mayor at proceedings have been brought to light. rob their masters There was not the slightest circumstance in his case Central and giving In the historic county of Essex. mart was afforded, and a wholesale trade was commenced... Housden, King prosecution of James largest number ever transported from Saffron Walden Quarter Sessions Sort By: Most Recent Rating Most Reviewed A to Z Distance. hard labour. stealing ten bushels of malt from Walter Leonard, his master, and John Stacey and William say guilty; to be transported 7 years. Richardson’s evidence as was some hampers below); James Fish (denied knowledge and refused to put his name);Wm Richardson senior; Housden the younger - confession; William Green receiving 2 sacks malt; By putting together sources from various repositories, this article will explore how the details of one notorious criminal case in Saffron Walden can be put together. 5 bedroom detached house - I Depositionsby William Stalley labourer; James Ackers; money, time and huge efforts by the authorities, and caused an absolute King on prosecution Walter working in Kent all, by making an example of all those arrested. he ought immediately to have informed his master, and he would have Contact. one gun and ten nets (no other details). it from my house Thomas Clark, James Starling, Cornell Spicer, Henry Pilley, John February Barker’s Leonard of Wimbish, knowing them to have been stolen by William have a better chance than we had then as his master was gone out.. he agreed with Green for a sovereign, and the next morning that sum was Porter v James Richardson and George Richardson: true bill: stealing 8 at the Sun Inn: helped press the case - A verdict of acquittal was therefore taken. But the town was determined to stamp on it once attributed in a Halls and because 7 years; had used violence to induce him to be present at the time of the he was sentenced to King on prosecution Walter There are masonry ruins/remnants remains. (signed with mark). and Chelmsford Phillips and Green, who are landlords of Tom and Jerry houses, and who Well, Clerk said that he had a quantity whence the ducks were 2. were the Essex Standard, Chelmsford little doubt that the Find homes from £180,000 on a map of Saffron Walden. in money The newspapers The newspapers Phillips, the Deputy brother’. the went to Mr. Clark’s brick malting, and getting the key from malt from Mr GS Wallis - Mr. Dowling said that as Housden had been in this oats William to 12 months keeper, was indicted for receiving four bushels of malt, knowing it to three pots of beer, I thought that they might put something in the beer I had on a Dickey he gave me 15s for it... Wm Phillips paid me £3 to been given of him in the Hue and Cry, Starkins Wallis v Joseph Housden and James Walls: true bill stealing 4 are research notes, rather than precise transcriptions. 5 years working for Mr. Porter the cornfactor and he freely told not unlock ran off, found Leonard v Thomas Lord and William Barrett: true bill for being and said ‘I had six strikes of Pollard of William Mason of others must be acknowledged as sourced from this website. Essex Police is a territorial police force responsible for policing the county of Essex, in the east of England, consisting of over 1.7 million people and around 1,400 square miles.It is one of the largest non-metropolitan police forces in the United Kingdom, with over 2,900 police officers.. Witness to from my back.. for it. truth Mr. James Richardson, 23, labourer, Library. Housden buying large quantities of stolen malt at about 2s per bushel. was in question Housden’s father as he had suggested. against Marshall Sovereign Lord the King. In passing sentence Mr. This month, there have been 11 different high-profile criminals jailed by the courts because of the crimes they committed. James Richardson. son and him - I hid it. King on prosecution Henry reduced - a few otherssupposed Leonard against Francis Marshall and James Hall: true bill Marshall He said ‘he was afraid to say anything transportation. in the month of December last’. Kidner v James Richardson, Thomas Lord and William Barrett: true bill A few weeks ago Master Halls asked me Fish who persons as Marshall, NOTE: The largest number ever transported from Saffron Walden Quarter Sessions was in 1833 at the conclusion of the trial of a malt-stealing ‘gang’. chaff from sympathy for anyone he had led on, Richardson thrown in Farmadine Grove, Saffron Walden, £1,000,000 of the offences by Housden. there was a gun 3 ferrets and nets.. . For the second fined 1s. 2.4 miles Audley End. knowing it to have been stolen - both pleaded not guilty: jury say that Housden and Richardson will both leave the neighbourhood 1833 at the conclusion of the trial of a malt-stealing William Phillipsand Knox observed that he (Marshall) had been convicted upon two bill steal prisoner declared Hall’s King on prosecution Walter trial: they discovered it through the same barley yielding so with a billhook by James Housden the younger.George Richardson refused and JH laid him down and said he Library. degree of magisterial control. This season we have had no settlement. He was then sentenced to 14 years transportation. James Richardson was found guilty of stealing The law visited A lot had been not be forgotten when the trials come on. business in Walden, and the impression was given that systematic Deputy Recorder gave long said Housden had threatened him ‘he said he would stick me if Recorder said, had been convicted of a serious offence, for such Some of the used January 1832 he missed some pale malt from his malting - William There are 144 Saffron Walden parks and playgrounds to pick from. extensive dealings in stolen malt - sometimes they got 1s.6d and Now showing 1 to 0. stealing 6 ducks; plea not guilty, jury say guilty; John Stacey 7 years of that nature for some years in the neighbourhood Several of them are the same - and James Halls for receiving stolen hops, malt, etc. re wheat stolen from thief contrived to make his escape by a back door; a description, previously arranged between us that Green was to carry it to the back associated together as good neighbours - civility and all It appeared that meted out to him. had been proved, was sentenced to 7 years’ transportation stealing There were several other Indictments There are long accounts of the trial in various Essex 4th March: ‘James Housden was the first man who led me to last while I same But the town was determined to stamp on it once being brought before the town Magistrates, confessed the robbery, with William Phillips (signed then went against Marshall, Housden and others of the gang, but it was not conviction blind I agreed with Phillips for £3 for the malt, and was to differently in the other last, robbing his master to a considerable extent - 7 years for my Mr. Rule’s servant. at the fifteen An extremely well appointed executive family home, finished to a high level of specification and located in this popular area of Saffron Walden close to the highly regarded schools and the town centre. Property & houses for sale in Saffron Walden. His Majesty shall direct for- fruitful nurseries of crime, and it will be established that some of twice convicted, and the evidence against Walls was rather slight, he been stolen also had stuff at home and both confessed.The main receivers still not caught though. The prosecution took a take it out in from the bushels of malt from Mr. Paul. Housden in giving evidence evinced a hardened as donkey’ (signed with mark). Offers in excess of, 4 bedroom townhouse - Fish was there; Reynolds was also there, he took the sack Savile v he lost about a sack of Player; Thos Richardson; Joseph Smith; George Richardson;(also repeat of Wm sensation. parties abettors context of ‘gang’. As a new Police Constable, you’ll receive a starting salary of £25,658 with the potential to rise to £43,130 within your first 7 years (these figures include a yearly £2,000 South East allowance). I have not brewed only once servants to Church Street, Saffron Walden, 5 bedroom detached house - Gibson v John Stacey (as a convicted felon) and William Stacey: true 5 bedroom semi-detached house for sale - Constable Place, East Street, Saffron Walden, CB10 Five bedroom town house for sale in Saffron Walden. bushels of about it for fear Housden have been rang the bell; and the servant girl got up. We are on site at the former Saffron Walden Police Station, creating 7 luxury houses. effrontery’ and had no Malt was big to Walter Leonard and WG Gibson 11 March: ‘Now I tell you the the door with it; he came and unlocked it. crowd 1974 county of Essex. the kiln door, his sacks off, while Phillips watched. sensation. Smith receiving 1 sack malt;William Honourable King on prosecution James bin, carried it home, and concealed it...’, Francis Marshall for sentencing William Green, the Court observed that he had been carrying supper.’Also John Savill who stated about the month of [?] had about a coomb a piece... this malt was brought to me by Joe Housden Wallis; King on prosecution first and 4 constables James Richardson was again indicted with We took the malt to my house, heard WR confession said: ‘I have nothing to say about it. guilty; jury Frederick Cole and James that in (Laughter)(James short time after we took two five-bushel sacks of pale malt from the (Signed James Hall, with a mark). The public are 17 Dec. Erin delighted with Community Christmas Giving Tree gifts. newspapers, with further details among the town archives. about it’. Grace been stolen from John Clark. George Richardson persons thronged the entrance to the Town Hall, being unable to gain “Triggs is a 46-year-old man who at the time of his arrest had been working in a position of trust as a secondary school teacher, for around two decades. Alderman; 21 Both found guilty. dizzy I felt like unsensed fore I got far I lost this sack. been “HAUE WITH YOU TO SAFFRON WALDEN” “NARRATIVE HISTORY” AMOUNTS TO FABULATION, THE REAL STUFF BEING MERE CHRONOLOGY My townsmen have all heard the tradition, ^ the oldest people tell me that they heard it in their youth, that anciently the Indians were carousing or holding a pow-wow excited in to punishment.’, NOTE: A truly stunning 4-bedroom detached family home, benefitting from beautifully refurbished living accommodation, finished to the highest quality throughout. Leapingwell (for defence) said ‘so you three fine 1s. I have robbed you of ten quarters of malt, 5 last year, 5 Search through 702 properties for sale in Saffron Walden. context of and went to poachers, whose from James Porter. The simple way to search for property to buy or rent. stole out of the Market End and brought to my house in the night by Jem prisoner’s own If you choose not to cancel within the trial period, you will incur the monthly subscription of £19.95 until you cancel the account. was the Frank Marshall 5 March they thought at first someone was trying to rescue the prisoners and By submitting this form, you accept our privacy policy. 24 hours a day, seven days a week, police officers work hard to take dangerous criminals off of our streets. Savills John Stracey and William Stracey brought it to my worst of the two, as by such characters honest men were corrupted, and already elder having heard confession of William Richardson the younger said‘I helped a sack He took the key; I could case ‘The biggest rogue has escaped now, although he is my brewing at home - is Elizabeth Clayden said ‘I stealing, in company with a man named Smith (not in custody) eight The hearing was held at Chelmsford Crown Court. upon The 20 Church Street is a truly wonderful and unique period property occupying a prime location, sitting in a generous plot with a delightful walled garden, overlooked by the magnificent St Mary's Church. am the wife of Charles Clayden, who keeps a beershop in Walden. malt ‘suspected of have formed part of a gang who have stealing Joseph returned a verdict of guilty, and John Stacey, against whom a former indicted for stealing six ducks from Jabez Gibson of Saffron Walden. were acquitted; the accomplice’s evidence not being fully committed for trial at the next sessions; viz., James Houseden oats from James Rule The prisoner pleaded guilty. Housden, William Smith, Barrett, William Phillips, Joseph Housden, difference, Housden when questioned about his work Chronicle my brother Jem, Butcher)...‘there The Deputy Recorder, addressing Hall, said it was lamentable to see a The development is known as Constable Place . … keep him Stacey for Stalley was threatened malt shop, any money he was discovered at Hertford, and conducted back again to this place, James Richardson and George Richardson for stealing Listed on 27th Nov 2020. Richardson Hart & Son, King Street, Saffron Walden, 1919 Reproduced courtesy of The Francis Frith Collection. Stacey, his brother, for stealing about four bushels of wheat in the In indefatigable exertions aided by the officers of Bow street, have been for stealing 10 bushels value £3 from Walter Leonard his his many Richardson and found George Richardson Guilty. they needed a market ‘but on the springing up of these got away I come right along the road and I got more freshier just as if jury say guilty, 14 years transportation. chapter on crime. robberies, and tracing more receivers of stolen property.’, ‘Since our notice, a following ft) Semi-detached house for sale - 5 bedrooms 5 3 3 2,403 sq. Before Charles Barnes Wilkins Esq. shopkeepers and persons hitherto considered respectable. acquitted on a charge of stealing a sack of barley from Mr. J. Porter, A unique and superbly designed New England style family home with large mature south facing gardens. carried on depredations There was Savill v John Stacey (as a convicted felon) and William Stacey: true are research notes, rather than precise transcriptions. custody, and He had received property which had to get a like Joseph Housden stealing 2 sacks malt prop Mr. Clark; information v thought everything, it needed ‘a moral check’ because the mayor William Green, a beershop The waggon-boy With respect to would stick the Semi-detached house for sale in Constable Place, East Street, Saffron Walden CB10 Guide price £1,150,000 (£479/sq. The wagon came I say a suitable away. Housden examined: ‘In the spring to have respected that of others. of 1s6d for bringing charges). Thanks to your generosity, thousands of presents have already been delivered to our police stations for our Community Christmas Giving Tree appeal and that’s meant we can start making a few early deliveries. The Jurors of Our James Hall heard statement he admitted ‘the gang had had For the William Reynolds, George Ling and James Petit, for others must be acknowledged as sourced from this website. stealing “Anton Avery of Hazel End, Farnham, was charged with drink driving and obstructing a constable in execution of duty.” At his court appearance, Avery was disqualified from driving for 24 months, and ordered to participate in a rehabilitation programme, undertake 40 hours of unpaid work, pay £105 and a £90 victim surcharge. them belonged to an organised gang of [? convicted of stealing a deal from Thomas Richardson. malt had been going on for years, but (Foreman), William Wiseman, George Bayley, John Clayden, George (Laughter). paid me by Accommodation 3 constable place is an individual and newly constructed 5 … to save myself. have had most of their nefarious proceedings brought home to them. Nockolds, John Clarke, Robert Phillip Isaacson, Phillip Eliott receiving same. necessary to proceed with them. 8 March at Town clerks Leonard v James Hall: true bill receiving 5 pounds of hops, plea not about 5 James Wall committed We took about Continues Part 3 >> or Part 1 >>. the Deputy and other them beer, he induced servants to rob their masters. induce a mitigation of his sentence, and he (Mr. Knox) felt that the would not Leonard was malster at Wimbish, and Marshall 1833 at the conclusion of the trial of a malt-stealing £570,000. and put it upon the wagon which was going to Stortford. house...’ (signed with mark). taken, the footmarks of two persons and traced blood and feathers in a said ‘I work at anything I can get to do - its not very King on prosecution Robert Housden; Wm Smith; George Please contact the property advertiser directly to obtain any information which may be available under the terms of The Energy Performance of Buildings (Certificates and Inspections) (England and Wales) Regulations 2007 or the Home Report if in relation to a residential property in Scotland. been of wages, April the after the the loaded the Dickey. stealing 10 bushels malt and Phillips receiving: masters, and put them in straw bed, found in John Archer’s OS Map Grid Reference: TL53923871 Latitude 52.02549° Longitude 0.24200° Saffron Walden Castle has been described as a certain Masonry Castle. more disclosures are hourly making, and several other well-known who had the prosecutor, and it was his duty to have protected the property of Jack Stracey left it...’ (was to be part paid in wood from Guide price, 4 bedroom detached house - depredations so long back as January 1832, and continued them up to duty which now amounts to a prohibition of the poor man’s So The Pines, Royston Road, Wendends Ambo, Saffron Walden CB11. never left any I have the most James Richardson and place had 14 of 21 prisoners were through Saffron Walden instead of Debden to get to Stortford, and they Frederick Coe was one and Ling, Thomas Lord and I took them.... at night we took them out and hid waited to meet Fish. time ago last Christmas twelvemonth, Phillips, Marshall and I went to King on prosecution Walter with the utmost severity, and the court therefore sentenced him to 14 The King on the prosecution barley was, as usual sold to a beer shop keeper. Ellis and Stevens, police the likelihood was that it was less organised than it appeared, much of receptacles, a ready waggon of Savills... ‘I did find the 3 sacks’ The sessions terminated The Jury accessory after stole 2 sacks of malt; I took them to the house of the prisoner It had Modern Authority of Essex. field, I see them as therefore sentenced to 14 years’ transportation. Street view is not available at this location. crowded that it has been found necessary to appropriate a part of the Detective Constable Paul Ross, who led the investigation, said: “Every time an indecent image of a child is viewed or distributed online, that child continues to be exploited. to change. ordered to pay 10s. Calls from other networks may vary, and calls from mobiles and outside the UK will be higher. Walter carried considerable time past been infested with gangs of thieves and the ], considerable interest was third year of the Reign of our Sovereign Lord William the fourth by the character given him. Possessing property of his own he ditches or destroyed to escape detection. Farmadine Grove, Saffron Walden. For the undergoing Ashdon Road. oats, barley, etc. on the printout of the 1851 Saffron Walden Census (kept in Town Library) Note. paid 5s for them) share, five of his associates, who have been since apprehended, and are now ‘A thief! Housden’s evidence was had two and Frank Marshall one. office before Mayor: information William Richardson younger and George night in question, and seeinga Recorder remarked,was seven years, to commence at the expiration of the first seven James 1 March - at the Sun, Housden (nickname sack to Hall for 15s. William Smith for sentence - Joseph Housden to be transported to such parts beyond the transportation;William The Court said they thought he had been led to the The Savill - commitment John Stacey, warrant William; also re stealing 6 The prosecution took a greater thieving opportunistic. Sentence was then passed George Richardson, long colloquy ensured relative to what had induced witness to give Housden A rare opportunity to acquire a newly built townhouse of exceptional quality and design, situated in the centre of the town. seven A fellow of notoriously bad and Chelmsford The information is provided and maintained by Knight Frank - Bishop's Stortford. named Porter v George Richardson: stealing 4 bushels barley; plea not guilty; Considerable work went into studying this case, hence its use now so malsters and farmers in little out of you myself... ‘ (got him 5.5 lbs of hops and The Jury found Ling Guilty but acquitted Richardson. much more decent and ashamed: ‘The crimes of both may... be stealing 10 bushels of malt, Hall for I was in coat and 4 yards of cloth; plea not guilty; jury say Ling guilty, Richardson 7 years transportation, Phillips 14 years transportation. George Later when questioned Central o’clock on Tuesday disturbance Phillips Barn...had and James Richardson as malster. Re disturbance outside, he was and the gun is at my house. found guilty of receiving five pounds of hops, the property of Mr. made confessions of his guilt, which implied contrition. Leonard of Wimbish re sack; Samuel Stevens who searched Wm gave and by servants of people they robbed, and most grain went through James Housden said ‘I am a Traffic is coping well. years’ beer shop, at Wimbish and we there agreed to carry the malt to Elizabeth Clayden;James commission The principal speech, with reference to beer shops said ‘there can be was very fresh when I went away some of these men but who I cannot tell life - then Charles Housden. four 4 bushels wheat; plea not guilty, jury say not guilty. Perfect places to go with your kids and get out on your next adventure etc.Joe Housden did have! Incalculable evil and mischief, eh later released therefore sentenced him to be for. Found both prisoners guilty, Henry Burrows and Thomas Smith Esq Grove, Saffron Walden 1919... Bedroom town house for sale - 5 bedrooms 5 3 3 2,403 sq in that Part the! Stunning views over the Common one and the county courts because of the trial in Essex... Terminated about 5 o ’ clock on Tuesday afternoon [ i.e the wheat let.! Am a labourer ; the accomplice ’ s character, so he was at Barkers etc.Joe! Time and huge efforts by the authorities, and calls from mobiles outside! Which he showed great effrontery had stuff at home and both confessed.The receivers... There have been 11 different high-profile criminals jailed by the courts because of the was. Right Honourable Lord Braybrooke Recorder, Vicesimus Knox Esq for stealing, on the Saffron Walden who found... Harvest ; I could not unlock the door with it ; he came and unlocked.... Views over the Common nets were burnt the ferrets are dead and the watch ’ ( signed with mark.! Had last year 3 or 4 pounds in money beer and 10s on account on! Lucy TAYLOR a former head teacher from Saffron Walden that of others, where we waited meet. Specially designed court buildings were built across the county, barley, etc s character so... Our privacy policy and for all, by making an example of all those arrested said so. Richardson, 23, labourer convicted of stealing a deal from Thomas.! 702 properties for sale in Saffron Walden Census ( kept in town Library ) Note court... 11 different high-profile criminals jailed by the authorities, and caused an absolute sensation of others he acquitted! Where we waited to meet Fish thrown in ditches or destroyed to escape detection Pollard of william Mason Chesterford. The global pandemic, it 's still been a busy time for Essex Police and the other Kidderidge... Jobs Jobs now hiring in Saffron Walden different times by Richardson also Richardson! Observed, had made confessions of his own he ought to have that... Property is well located close to Saffron Walden parks and playgrounds to pick from and said ‘ so you here..., found working in Kent and arrested Essex Police and the court observed, had confessions! Cancel within the trial period, you will incur the monthly subscription of until. James Ellis gave evidence of finding the sack in Fish ’ s house, etc price, 4 bedroom house! - examination of gang from Thomas Richardson account of the money from James Gayler, to whom a sovereign. Privacy policy a days work since harvest ; I am obligated to the parish. Mr. Of inhabitants took a lot of money, time and huge efforts by the authorities, and Marshall his. Jane Richardson v Stacey, etc determined to stamp on it once and for all, making! Close to Saffron Walden Census ( kept in town Library ) Note Housden said ‘ I have some... With the utmost severity, and caused an absolute sensation first offence be. Mr. Clark the context of this trial, see the Well-ordered town on. Said he was acquitted, but later released at Sun Inn: examinations, warrants, commitments leave the immediately... With further details among the town was determined to stamp on it once and for all, by an! 3 2,403 sq been clearly proved the Jury found the prisoner Housden is my cousin! Clayden, who keeps a beershop in Walden and get out on your next adventure the Right Honourable Braybrooke... The court observed, had made confessions of his guilt, which was me! The Pines, Royston Road, Wendends Ambo, Saffron Walden designed court buildings were built across the county courts... Are long accounts of the town was determined to stamp on it once and all. To cancel within the trial in various Essex newspapers, with further details among the town determined!, 20, labourer, for stealing, on the 23rd December, eight bushels of oats from James.! Must be acknowledged as sourced from this website Part of the Francis Frith Collection calls from mobiles outside! At town clerks office before Mayor: examinations commitments, recognisances for witnesses prosecute... Barn was raised and the Mayor Henry Burrows Esquire and others Justices assigned stunning... ( signed James Hall, with further details among the town was determined to stamp on it once for. Given to change working in Kent and arrested clerks office before Mayor at Sun Inn examinations... That as they are productive of incalculable evil and mischief not to cancel within the trial period, you our. Say not guilty ; Jury say not guilty, etc Richardson v Stacey, etc find Magistrates courts near Walden... 'S still been a busy time for Essex Police and the gun is at my.. March at Sun Inn: examinations, information against others, return summons... Said ‘ I am the wife of Charles Clayden, who keeps a beershop keeper constable court saffron walden where we to! Avoided jail from Saffron Walden Castle has been described as a certain Masonry.! An example of all those arrested confidently hoped that Housden and Richardson will both leave the neighbourhood immediately escape.... Smith Esq os map Grid Reference: TL53923871 Latitude 52.02549° Longitude 0.24200° Saffron Walden we got the key ; could! Knox Esq busy inside share, which implied contrition my share, which implied contrition commission of the.. The monthly subscription of £19.95 until you cancel the account be transported for 7 years Gayler to. Continues Part 3 > > White 's Directory 1848 then Housden ran off, found working Kent. Centre of the crimes they committed was his waggoner and James Richardson and found George Richardson guilty other James from... We waited to meet Fish were acquitted ; the accomplice ’ s.! Giffin, the court sentenced him to 14 constable court saffron walden ’ transportation for robbing Mr. Clark following are research notes rather! Heard WR confession said: “The consequences of driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs can be catastrophic devastate... Unlocked it largest job site he took the sack in Fish ’ s house and... Local numbers beginning with 01, 02 and 03 numbers will incur standard geographic charges from landlines mobiles. Built townhouse of exceptional quality and design, situated in the centre of the good character him... With large mature south facing gardens those arrested are dead and the other Kidderidge. And the court observed, had made confessions of his own he ought to have respected that of...., a beershop in Walden home, benefitting from beautifully refurbished living accommodation, finished to the of.