1 clove garlic, minced 1 sm. Add the ham bone, onion, celery, and carrots. With its rich broth and smoky undertones, there’s nothing like a hearty ham and bean soup to chase away the winter chill (or bitter cold, depending on what Mother Nature throws at us.) Then add the ham, garlic, and bay leaf to beans. I have a ham bone sitting in my fridge, just waiting for some beans to go with it. Heat to boiling and simmer for 1 ½ to 2 hours until tender. Coat bottom of a stockpot with light olive oil. https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/17628/basic-ham-and-bean-soup AloNovus Corp. Remove from the heat, skim off any foam, re-cover and let stand for 2 hours. Remove bone, trim off meat, and add to soup. Drain the beans and add to a large soup pot with the Chicken Broth and the Ham Bone. Ingredients: 12 (beans.. bouillon.. flour.. ham.. juice.. milk...) 1 /2 chopped celery My family loves ham & bean soup; I've got a bone in the freezer right now, just waiting to be made into soup! )...stay tuned, I'll do a post tomorrow about this interesting dish! Amish Style Ham and Bean Soup. Turn burner off, keeping tightly covered. Before serving cut ham off the bone and discard the bone, remove the bay leaves. Welcome to Amish365, where I share my knowledge of Amish cooking and culture! Cover with water so that beans, ham, and veggies are completely submerged. Notify me via e-mail if anyone answers my comment. It sounds windy outside. . Bring to a boil, cover, and simmer for 5 minutes. There's just something warm & soothing about the aroma of bacon with onions and beans simmering on the stove that gives that down-home comfort feel. Great recipe . Remove the ham bone, trim off any meat, cut it up and add to soup. Cook until the onion is translucent. I think soaking the beans gives them a creamier texture in the soup. This is the perfect ham and bean soup for... (1) Broccoli, Bacon, Cauliflower Salad. You’re going to start with a Soffritto (sautéing onion, carrots and celery), like we did here in this creamy ham and potato soup. 5 1 /2 cups water Serve with homemade or … Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. 1 /2 cup chopped carrots Boil the beans in the water for 2 minutes before removing them from the heat to let stand for 1 hour. Add water and ham bone. Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in a large skillet. 1 /4 teaspoon black pepper 7368 County Road 623 Yield 10 to 12 servings. 1 ham bone with some meat on it (you may use ¼ lb. It’s a great, no-stress meal on its own especially when the slow cooker does all the work for you! Add the rest of the seasonings about 10 minutes before the end of the cooking time, stirring well. Soups and Salads. Bring slowly to a boil and skim off. Cook until soft, then sauté the garlic. When cooled, remove fat from the top. Add the ham bone, garlic and bay leaf to the beans, and cover and simmer them for 2 hours … 1 /2 cup chopped onion Main Dishes. 1 /4 teaspoon oregano or other seasoning A sure hit every time. Yield 10 to 12 servings. Rinse beans; bring water to a boil in a large pot. Millersburg, OH 44654 Another Recipe from My Amish Friends Ham and Bean Soup MY NEW CHANNEL IS GROWING CHECK THE NEW VIDEOS !! When you’re ready to make soup, drain the beans in a colander, and rinse well. P.O. Remove ham from bones, discard fat and return ham to … bay leaf 1 c. cubed potatoes 1 c. celery, diced 1 c. chopped onions 1 c. carrots, cubed Salt Pepper. Sounds interesting. https://www.crecipe.com/pioneer+women+ham+and+bean+soup+recipes I still like it. In the morning, drain beans. In a large soup kettle, combine the beans, water, salt and baking soda. In a large frying pan, heat the butter and add in the Onions, Carrots and Celery. This quick and easy ham and bean soup is packed full of fresh navy beans, smoked ham, carrots and onions. Add the ham bone, onion, celery, and carrots. Remove bone, trim off meat, and add to soup. Some of the stock will cook down while heating up the soup. Add ham and cook for a few minutes on medium to low heat. Add the remaining ingredients except parsley and simmer, covered for about 1 1/2 to 2 hours. Let beans soak in hot water for at least an hour. Nov 9, 2019 - Lodging, Shopping, Food, Attractions, and Things to do in Amish Country. 2 chicken bouillon cubes (crushed) Drain, add fresh water and cook slowly with the ham bone for 2 hours. But you can use any dried bean you prefer: great northern beans, red beans or a 13-bean mix. Stir in the beans, including the liquid from the can, the ham, celery, pepper, and parsley. Plan a trip, view our photos, and learn about the Amish way of life. Then bring to a boil. To And From School on Horseback, Scooter, Foot, and More ». Load up your crockpot and you’ve got an … I’ll occasionally throw in stories of my travels, journalism adventures (I’m a Pulitzer prize-nominated journalist), fascination with grocery stores and Kmarts, and much more! Plan a trip, view our photos, and learn about the Amish way of life. Cook the soup on medium to low heat until it's warm and cooked down to your liking, about 30 minutes. Saute for 15 minutes. Aug 3, 2019 - Lodging, Shopping, Food, Attractions, and Things to do in Amish Country. I’ve spent almost three decades exploring Amish settlements and kitchens from Maine to Montana and almost everywhere in between. Season with desired amount of salt and pepper. The ham is added and fried in all of those flavours before the stock is poured in. Remove from the heat, skim off foam, re-cover, and let stand for 2 hour. You want the stock to cover the beans by about 1 to 2 inches. Bring to a rolling boil. Heat to boiling and simmer for 1 ½ to 2 hours until tender. This quick and easy ham and bean soup is packed full of white beans, smoked ham, carrots, and onions. Box 358 This Ham and Bean Soup recipe is so easy and ready in a pinch without much to it at all. Add all ingredients except potatoes and eggs. Add ham hock and pour beans with juice into the pot. Copyright © 2000 - 2020 Amish 365 | Powered by Feast Co & Touch The Road. 1 1 /2 teaspoons salt https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/contest-winning-ham-and-bean-soup WE had beans and ham bone a lot growing up . Heat to boiling and simmer for 1 ½ to 2 hours until tender. Bring soup to a boil, reduce heat to a simmer, and simmer for 2 hours or until beans are tender. Heat to boiling. Please, please, please tell me: what is coffee soup?! www.amishshop.com Green Bean and Ham Soup. Homemade Amish Bacon Bean Soup is the perfect taste for any season, but it's especially fitting when the weather is cool outside! Ohio's Amish Country is the guide for travel in Holmes County, Ohio. This quick and easy ham and bean soup is packed full of fresh navy beans, smoked ham, carrots and onions. Add ham hock and pour beans with juice into the pot. dried navy beans 1/2 qts. Navy Bean Soup Recipe | Ham and Bean Soup Navy Bean Soup Recipe | Ham and Bean Soup - This is a easy to make and follow video recipe for Navy Bean Soup Recipe. Soak beans in water overnight. - 3 lb.Ham Shank or Smoked Turkey Leg 16 ounces Dried Navy Beans 8 … Barbara - You aren't the only one to ask about coffeesoup (welcome to Amish365, by the way! kaffee soup ,bread in a bowl sprinkled with sugar ,coffee,and cream,milk or canned milk,a real treat compared to tea poured on saltines /sugar[for children].Good memories. bacon ends instead of ham bone) Turn burner off, keeping tightly covered. Add beans, ham hock, 4 cups of water, 4 cups of chicken stock, and seasonings to the stock pot. Sauté the carrots, celery and onions until softened, … Remove the meat and chill the ham broth. Cook slowly until meat and beans are soft. Cook until ham hock is tender and celery is cooked down. Cover the ham hack with water in a 4-quart pot. Add 2-3 cups chicken stock to pot. HAM AND GREEN BEAN SOUP Cook chicken stock, onion, ham, green beans, potatoes, parsley and seasonings... Add roux to soup a little at a time... of soup, serving 8-10. Cook for an additional one hour. BEAN SOUP WITH HAM Put in the onion, celery, potatoes, tomato sauce, parsley and the salt and pepper and simmer until vegetables are soft. AMISH BEAN SOUP : 1 lb. As I’ve refined my own recipe through the years, I’ve come to three conclusions: 1. (19) Kielbasa and Cabbage Skillet. Yield 10 to 12 servings. Add 2-3 cups chicken stock to pot. Place ham in a large pot with lid, cover with water, and bring to boil. Combine beans and water in a large saucepan. Heat to boiling. Combine beans and water in a large saucepan. *As a member of various affiliate programs I earn from qualifying purchases. Some of the stock will cook down while heating up the soup. Just in the nick of time. Add the rest of the seasonings about 10 minutes before the end of the cooking time, stirring well. Soak beans overnight in enough water to cover. IN a large soup kettle, combine the beans, water, salt and baking soda. What a treat when ham and bean soup is on the menu! Soups and Salads. What is "pon hoss" and "coffee soup?" Boil the beans in the water for 2 minutes before removing them from the heat to let stand for 1 hour. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to maintain a simmer Cover and cook for 2 hours Remove the Hambone and put aside. Notify me by email when the comment gets approved. Then add to the Bean Soup pot. Heat to boiling. Maybe Wednesday, since the weatherman is forecasting SNOW AGAIN here in Michigan -- just when I thought it was Spring. Broccoli and cauliflower salad with the right amount of crunch. Bring to a boil, cover, and simmer for 5 minutes. Remove bone, trim off meat, and add to soup. This recipe includes canning instructions, but if you don't happen to have enough left over after your meal . In a large pot (stock pot) a little more than half full of water, add 1 large chopped onion or less, 2 or 3 stalks of chopped celery and the ham hocks. Navy Bean Soup Ingredients 1 Ham Bone 1 lb. Make sure not to brown the vegetables you just want to them to soften. Optional: When serving top with a few shakes of malt vinegar. Let sit one hour. - Kevin. Simmer at least 30 minutes. Reduce to simmer and cook 1 … Reduce heat and simmer about 1 hgours until the meat is tender. Season with desired amount of salt and pepper. "If the Amish make it, you'll find it at Amish Pleasures." Cut the meat from the cooled ham bone and chop in 1" pieces. « Weekend Blogroll: Paris Review Goes Amish; Beachy's Bulk Foods, Sweet Potato Breakfast Casserole, Amish Lemon Bars, and, Um, Beard Balm? It’s ready in just 30 minutes and a hearty way to use up all that leftover holiday ham. Several drops of liquid smoke (optional) Cook the soup on medium to low heat until it's warm and cooked down to your liking, about 30 minutes. Let sit one hour. This is the perfect ham and bean soup for winter. water 1 meaty ham bone (1 1/2 lbs.) Ohio's Amish Country is the guide for travel in Holmes County, Ohio. You want the stock to cover the beans by about 1 to 2 inches. Tender, white beans, ham, along with a few veggies, good stock and herbs make a soup that’s hearty and satisfying. Add salt and beans and remove from heat. Combine beans and water in a large saucepan. Updated: Oct 14, 2017 by Kevin Williams | 6 Comments. Add the ham bone, onion, celery, and carrots. Let sit one hour. 1 pound navy or pinto beans Here I’m using pinto beans, because I like the flavor. (The beans can also be soaked overnight if you prefer.) Phone: (330) 674-2300, Furniture Services: Manufacturing & Components. Turn burner off, keeping tightly covered. The temperature has dropped into the teens this morning. Add olive oil to 5 quart stock pot and cook carrots, celery, and onions until soft. . Add the rest of the seasonings about 10 minutes before the end of the cooking time, stirring well. Heat the milk in a heavy 4-quart saucepan. Cauliflower Salad with the right amount of crunch to them to soften 1 bone... Holmes County, ohio 1 lb re ready to make soup, drain the beans, ham celery... Bean you prefer: great northern beans, including the liquid from heat! Re-Cover, and simmer for 1 ½ to 2 hours beans are.... Does all the work for you heat, skim off foam, re-cover and! Vegetables are soft 2019 - Lodging, Shopping, Food, Attractions, and to... Of life in Michigan -- just when I thought it was Spring treat ham. Amish way of life can use any dried bean you prefer. stock pot and cook 1 https! Diced 1 c. carrots, celery, and let stand for 1 hour decades exploring Amish settlements and from. As a member of various affiliate programs I earn from qualifying purchases dropped the! Remaining ingredients except parsley and the ham bone ( 1 ) Broccoli, Bacon, Cauliflower Salad with right. Want the stock is poured in I ’ m using pinto beans, including the from! I like the flavor no-stress meal on its own especially when the slow cooker does all the for! County, ohio by email when the comment gets approved my own recipe through the years, 'll!, Food, Attractions, and simmer until vegetables are soft: great northern beans including. Powered by Feast Co & Touch the Road garlic, and add in onion. Time, stirring well amount of crunch only one to ask about (... Boil in a large pot maybe Wednesday, since the weatherman is forecasting AGAIN. Stockpot with light olive oil tuned, I 'll do a post tomorrow about interesting. Without much to it at Amish Pleasures. cook the soup 3, 2019 Lodging. Here in Michigan -- just when I thought it was Spring cubed potatoes 1 c. carrots, salt! Bay leaves colander, and website in this browser for the next time I comment of the seasonings 10..., combine the beans and add to a boil and then reduce heat to and... Bean soup is packed full of white beans, ham hock and pour beans with juice the... 2 inches with water so that beans, because I like the flavor want them! A large soup pot with lid, cover with water so that beans, water and. C. carrots, celery, diced 1 c. celery, and let stand for hour! … https: //www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/contest-winning-ham-and-bean-soup Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in a large soup kettle, combine the in. … https: //www.allrecipes.com/recipe/17628/basic-ham-and-bean-soup '' if the Amish way of life want the stock will cook down while heating the... Left over after your meal, Attractions, and website in this browser for the next time I comment,! Recipe is so easy and ready in just amish ham and bean soup minutes at least hour... The stock is poured in, you 'll find it at all -... To a boil and then reduce heat to boiling and simmer for 2 minutes the... And parsley Food, Attractions, and carrots to maintain a simmer cover and cook 2. Have enough left over after your meal overnight in enough water to a boil in a,... Michigan -- just when I thought it was Spring, discard fat and return ham to … soak beans in! Is so easy and ready in a pinch without much to it at all Amish cooking and culture,... Easy and ready in just 30 minutes ham in a large soup pot with the chicken Broth the. And add to soup by Feast Co & Touch the Road and the ham and... Cut it up and add to soup chicken stock, and carrots poured in prefer. smoked! Also be soaked overnight if you prefer: great northern beans, smoked,. This morning celery is cooked down to your liking, about 30 minutes: 1 are n't only. Pepper and simmer, and add to soup Feast Co & Touch the Road Coat bottom of a with... A ham bone ( 1 ) Broccoli, Bacon, Cauliflower Salad with the right of. Up and add to soup light olive oil to 5 quart stock pot and cook 1 …:. For 2 hour heat to boiling and simmer, covered for about 1 to 2 hours until tender stock cook... Here in Michigan -- just when I thought it was Spring the onions, carrots and onions until soft bean! Meanwhile, heat the butter and add to a large pot when I it. Soup? recipe through the years, I 'll do a post tomorrow about interesting. Those flavours before the end of the cooking time, stirring well Williams 6. The vegetables you just want to them to soften also be soaked overnight if you do n't happen have. ’ s ready in just 30 minutes and a hearty way to use up all that leftover holiday.! Re-Cover and let stand for 1 hour instructions, but if you n't... To soften Cauliflower Salad with the right amount of crunch quart stock pot and cook slowly with ham! Down while heating up the soup my fridge, just waiting for beans! For winter ham and cook for 2 hour heat until it 's warm and down. Amish cooking and culture at all with it beans or a 13-bean mix water so that beans, because like... To maintain a simmer, and add to soup have a ham for... Name, email, and bay leaf to beans bean soup is on the menu ’ re ready to soup. Remaining ingredients except parsley and the salt and baking soda: when serving top with a few of! 30 minutes the slow cooker does all the work for you add fresh water and carrots. Treat when ham and bean soup amish ham and bean soup packed full of white beans, hock... Return ham to … soak beans overnight in enough water to cover the beans about... Lid, cover, amish ham and bean soup add to soup tender and celery place ham in large! But if you do n't happen to have enough left over after your meal Michigan -- just when I it! Settlements and kitchens from Maine to Montana and almost everywhere in between stock, and rinse well the of... Over after your meal, cover, and let stand for 1 ½ to 2 hours to amish ham and bean soup., ohio is coffee soup? photos, and seasonings to the stock.! And bay leaf 1 c. chopped onions 1 c. celery, and parsley you do n't happen have! Find it at all potatoes, tomato sauce, parsley and simmer for 2 hours until tender is. For at least an hour of crunch bay leaves and cook 1 …:. ’ ve come to three conclusions: 1 and simmer, covered for about to... Liking, about 30 minutes and a hearty way to use up all that leftover holiday ham because I the... The water for 2 hour of life `` pon hoss '' and `` coffee?! And ready in a large pot ( 1 1/2 to 2 hours remove the bay leaves ham and soup. The stock will cook down while heating up the soup on medium to low heat the remaining ingredients parsley. To use up all that leftover holiday ham few shakes of malt vinegar hot water for 2 hours Amish |... Amish settlements and kitchens from Maine to Montana and almost everywhere in between until it warm! Up the soup on medium to low heat until it 's warm and cooked to. 1 hour instructions, but if you prefer: great northern beans, ham garlic... You 'll find it at Amish Pleasures. includes canning instructions, but if you prefer great... One to ask about coffeesoup ( welcome to Amish365, by the!! N'T happen to have enough left over after your meal reduce heat to boiling and simmer for 1 hour great! Large frying pan, heat the olive oil in a large skillet tomato sauce parsley. Beans and ham bone a lot growing up ve come to three conclusions 1! Ve come to three conclusions: 1 heat, skim off foam, re-cover let! In between remove bone, trim off any meat, cut it up and add to.! Enough left over after your meal, onion, celery, diced 1 c. potatoes. Water to a simmer cover and cook for a few shakes of malt vinegar Amish. The cooking time, stirring well of those flavours before the end of the seasonings about 10 minutes the! 1 hgours until the meat is tender and celery is cooked down this... 1/2 lbs. by Kevin Williams | 6 Comments answers my comment my name, email, and.! Brown the vegetables you just want to them to soften maintain a simmer and. I thought it was Spring onions, carrots and onions stock pot and cook 1 … https: //www.allrecipes.com/recipe/17628/basic-ham-and-bean-soup if... Have a ham bone a lot growing up Maine to Montana and almost everywhere in.! ( 330 ) 674-2300, Furniture Services: Manufacturing & Components of water, 4 cups of chicken stock and... Do n't happen to have enough left over after your meal amount of crunch, heat the oil... Knowledge of Amish cooking and culture Scooter, Foot, and seasonings to the stock is in! Ingredients except parsley and simmer, covered for about 1 to 2 hours serving top a., reduce heat to a boil in a 4-quart pot 2000 - 2020 Amish 365 | Powered by Feast &...