It is also recommended to use a warning light or wire resistor when installing ? Step #6 (Figure 1) Snap in the DA plug and connect the red wire to the output side of the alternator 10/32 stud, take the long wire and connect to the + side of the coil. WARNING!!! failure to do so could damage the alternator. The simplest would be to upgrade your current alternator. So when the ignition is switched on the warning light goes on as the alternator output is nominally 0V. my understanding is that I need about 10 ohms resistance so the warning light only comes on when an undercharge situation at the alternator/regulator occurs. Ie behind the dash, with the wires of the resistor wired to the terminals on the bulb holder? Be careful of the wattage rating of the resistor. The original 1960’s GM alternator employs an external voltage regulator. Simple $49.00. This is also a good place to mention one-wire alternators. Alternator wiring with and without dash light Back view of a standard Ford alternator Basic schematic for wiring a Ford alternator with external regulator - with and without warning light Basic Wiring Primer and Troubleshooting Guide (not finished, but still very useful) Again the terminal will be marked WL or IND. Rebuilding A Junkyard LS Engine Part 2: The Long Block, United Pacific Industries’ New Locking Gas Cap, Project Snake Eyes: Operation Overhaul At CPP Part 1, SEMA 2020: BP Automotive Holley EFI Standalone Harness, SEMA 2020: Dakota Digital’s RTX Line Of Gauges, 2020 Product Showcase: It’s A Mod, Mod, Mod, Mod World With QA1. Essentially, the resistor takes the place of the load created by the warning light. - My car is a 1973 MGB, using a GM C130 type alternator. High-output alternators (greater than 100 amp) need a minimum of an 8-or-larger gauge charge wire to reduce resistance. From left-to-right: 10DN, 10/12SI, CS130/CS144, and CS-130D. The large stud is for the output wire connection that is connected to the battery positive post. Technical Alternator warning light Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Sporty45, Dec 30, 2016. In this … The original 10-DN externally regulated alternator is probably not capable of much more than 35 amps at idle. Re: Alternator Warning Resistor Where to Find 05 Jan 2014, 01:36 I found one in a circuit diagram in the 14 volt wiring manual for the F33A, F33C, V35B and A36. This Painless Performance illustration shows how the CS-130 and CS-144 alternators should be wired. Alternator Warning Light Resistor Get link; Facebook; Twitter; Pinterest; Email; Other Apps; March 30, 2018 Alternator Wiring Help Please Gbodyforum 78 88 General. If you have an alternator rated at 100 amp at idle, its normal operating temperature is probably capable of only around 75 to 80 amps. This 11 volt module can be used to illuminate a charging system warning light. Once the engine starts that small current flow is used to excite the alternator (unless you have a self-exciting one) so that it starts to output a voltage. Late-model alternators are far more efficient at idle, so a stock 100-amp alternator might be capable of 60 to 65 amps at idle. Then, test voltage at the rear of the alternator and compare that to the voltage at the battery. Warning Light For Alternator Yesterday S Tractors. With the engine at idle — and several components like headlights, electric cooling fans, and perhaps the heater fan, operating, compare the voltage readings at the alternator to those at the battery. So, with this resistor, under normal charging circumstances, you are never putting more than 0.5 amp to the alternator.” Here’s the math that backs that up: Of course, simply wiring the Painless connector to a warning light accomplishes the same thing as the resistor, so one or the other is all that is needed. required as the alternator set up may be di!erent. failure to do so could damage the alternator. You will want a resistor equivalent to the the lamp resistance. I installed the new alternator today being very careful with my wiring connections, but the warning light is still on. To mimic the resistance of an 1895-type 12V idiot light, like Ford installed on the Galaxie, I wired a 10-ohm, 10 watt resistor in parallel with the LED light. This is so that the bulb burning out does not prevent current flow and therefore alternator The Race Technology Dash2 effectively replaces all the warning lights with LED's. No glow, bulb has burned out or there is a break or bad connection in the wiring between the regulator plug and the instrument cluster. A common charging system issue with older cars is excessive resistance between the alternator and the battery. Just keep the resistor/bulb connected for about 5 seconds; that should do the job. A typical circuit has the warning light wired directly to a terminal at the rear of the alternator. And just to confirm, wired directly in parallel to the bulb is the correct installation? That’s just one idea. A quick test with the engine idling is to turn on several electrical accessories like headlights and the heater fan. To wire a warning light, remove the terminal plug cover and connect the #1 (Left terminal, looking from the back of the alternator) to the warning light wire. By locating the voltage-sensing wire closer to the battery, the alternator can compensate for this slight drop in voltage and maintain the overall electrical system at around 14 volts. Place a 1N4004 diode backwards across the led to protect it from the reverse voltages - these two components are in parallel. The LED will therefore only light to about 12/20=60% of its original brightness. The main advantage of either unit is they employ an internal voltage regulator (SI stands for system integrated). The GM Delco-Remy cs130 alternator was used on GM vehicles from about 1986-1996. The "L" wire that energizes the alternator needs some resistance (35 ohms or more) in it otherwise it will cause the alternator to fail. These are often less expensive, but not packaged with a resistor. We decided we needed to focus our attention on some of the more popular alternator conversions and wiring harness modifications necessary to accommodate them. The series resistor will then have 8.6-2.2=6.4V across it and will pass 6.4/520=0.012A, or about 12mA. connected to the warning light or a 400-ohm resistor, NOT connected directly to the ignition. I notice in the above picture that the ohm rating of the resistor is So what you need is a pullup resistor on the W/R wire. You can disconnect the resistor and the … 1995 -1998 was a transitional period for the cs-130. Another minor disadvantage to one-wire alternators is the rotor in the alternator must achieve a certain speed to self-excite. This alternator (10-DN), uses a flat, two-prong connection at the back of the alternator. Running with single morse on each engine this means every startup has to be on lower helm, start, disengage gear, rev, drop revs repeat on the other side. One wire will connect to the output post on the rear of the alternator and the other will be connected through a dash light or to a switched ignition source. If you want to use a led warning light in the dash (like I do because of size/looks/style) you can parallel it with a regular warning light (like a common #194) or a diode, hidden under the dash. Back in the days of AM radios, that was enough to maintain system voltage. We will safeguard your e-mail and only send content you request. Mount them properly, rather than dangle in the wiring. If the warning light bulb burns out no electricity will pass through it and the charging system won't work so the resistor provides another path for the electricity to flow through to keep the charging system working. That’s something to think about if your twin electric fans and other electrical devices combine to pull more than 70 amps. This is the charge warning lamp. Here’s why using a remote voltage-sensing connection is a wise move. To keep this story brief, we have not taken a deep dive into physically mounting these different alternators to various engines, as this can get somewhat complicated. Even a stock replacement CS130D will offer more power at low speeds than previous models. Users who are found to promulgate FAKE NEWS on the forum in regard to this issue, intentional or otherwise, may find their access terminated. There are no issues with the alternator as far as I can tell, it is charging perfectly, the battery seems fine. The T5s are 1w, so those T10s at 3w might just do the trick. This is my final charging circuit as it is wired now. The initial excitation current can be supplied via a resistor, but it is more usual to supply it via a bulb. As a less expensive alternative, Painless Wiring offers a replacement CS-130 pigtail connector that can easily be spliced into place. If the alternator has an external regulator, the warning light wire attaches to it in the same way as a dynamo. It is very useful if you would like to know the fused power, voltage A 24V 60A alternator on each of the two engines, dash has VDO oceanline Volt gauges with a warning lamp which is the normal incandescent bulb (5mm dia 18mm overall length) When I start each engine the respective light is on and the annoying warning beeper is blasting, rev counter shows 0 and no V and/or current is flowing to the batteries. The hole is an oxygen sensor warning lamp probably, or EGR warning. But, you need to be aware of this and rev the engine after it starts to ensure the charging system is functioning. Put a 560Ω current limiting resistor on the anode of the LED, so these two components are in series. The initial excitation current can be supplied via a resistor, but it is more usual to supply it via a bulb. With this review of the wiring harness differences, updating your charging system should not be very intimidating. One is a non-resistor and the other has some resistance built-in it. “If changing to a different alternator series, make sure the belt(s) line up and the wiring is in good condition,” Mike states. This is the charge warning lamp. The bottom wire is AWG 12, the middle is AWG 10, and the largest is AWG 6. Failure to follow these instructions will damage the voltage regulator and void your warranty. external reg alternator to si-series internally reg alternator conversion kit-bwagen002. Please leave it where you find it. IN ADDITION it seems that conspiracy theories are finding their way onto the forum. Thanks! While everybody else focuses on four-digit-horsepower LS engines with giant turbos or superchargers, let’s keep our goals far more street-worthy and practical. A higher wattage lamp, or a parallel resistor should also help, about 48 ohms? The number of turns would have to be determined by experiment. Between those years you may have the CS-130 or the CS-130D alternator. It does depend on the alternator a little, but with my original GM alternator, I ended up doing as Bernire suggested; I had the original lamp taped up behind the dash as a load. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding. The fitted resistor is for use with or without a light bulb in the battery warning light circuit. You don't need the resistor if you have a dash light, as that light will set up the exciter path to start the alternator working. The light excites the alternator and illuminates. Before we get into the swap details, it’s beneficial to investigate charging-output numbers. WARNING LAMP This brings us back full circle to the starting point - the alternator warning lamp. awesome thank you mate, really clear advice, much appreciated. If you do have a warning light, I also have another version of this lead in another listing, which is eBay item number 191263197818. Other alternatives that also work well. With the voltage-sensing wire connected to the output terminal, this half-volt drop is not measured and the entire charging system under-performs. simulate this circuit – Schematic created using CircuitLab Figure 1. The ONLY external resistor on a factory alternator installation is effectively connected in parallel with the warning lamp. This is the cleanest way to upgrade. We spoke with Mike Stasko, marketing manager for Tuff Stuff Performance, and he has a recommendation. Whats the purpose of the Ignition Light Resistor in my 1987 110 2.5 N/A Diesel? If your car is like this Chevelle and has a voltmeter or factory ammeter gauge without a charging system warning light, a resistor must be wired into the warning light circuit. Ignition Warning Light Assembly. FAKE NEWS, in this regard, is that which is posited by organisations, media, etc., that is repeated on the forum, or used to support personal opinion/hypothesis posted by users - FAKE NEWS is not necessarily the personal opinion/hypothesis being posted in itself, any issues with such should be challenged respectfully. If you want to troubleshoot this problem, you need a Voltmeter or a DVM, if you do not have one, W-mart has a DVM for about $20, it will pay for itself the first time you fix something electrical on the car, this being one. For example, Tuff Stuff Performance offers a higher output 10-DN option. Using LED as Alternator Light? This is not the place for such content. Since then, a landslide of charging system and alternator enhancements have followed. We’ve used these two-post terminal blocks, available from Jegs, for mounting both live battery power and switched power. The Number 1 wire on the 10- or 12-SI is connected to the charge warning light on the dash. From here it runs to the ignition/starter switch. While this shortcut is simple and functional, it will not optimize the charging system. !ALWAYS USE PROPER EYE PROTECTION WHEN PERFORMING ANY MECHANICAL REPAIRS TO A VEHICLE – ... “1” Terminal -Indicator lamp/Ignition terminal carries full system voltage and connects to an indicator light or ignition terminal. Basic Wiring Primer and Troubleshooting Guide (not finished, but still very useful) If the LED is unacceptably dim with the parallel resistor, let me know and I'll try to think of something better! It is not the resistor in the alternator light line. Perhaps somebody has inserted a resistor in parallel with the bulb so that current flows through the resistor to power the D+/61 circuit, and the resistance from the bulb is sufficiently high (either due to the filament or high-resistance connections on the socket -corrosion) that it doesn't glow brightly enough to see. It is your responsibility to provide references to bona fide sources. The “S” connection on the alternator (left image) is the larger pin on the far left while the “L” is second from the right. 12v 5mm Led Fault Light Panel Mount Indicator. Without more details we can't answer your question. A popular form of performance upgrade revolves around applying current technology to older machines. Note the drawing shows the external shape of the connector as rounded on one end while the internal shape is rectangular. There will generally be a slight voltage drop at the battery of around 0.50 to 0.60 volt. If the voltage at the battery is within 0.5-volt of the alternator voltage, then the charge wire is okay. When DC current flows through the turns of the coil the reed switch changes over, disconnecting the lamp. Alternator rating numbers are generally tested with the alternator at ambient temperature. On turning on the ignition the warning lamp will light. Jeff Smith, a 35-year veteran of automotive journalism, comes to Power Automedia after serving as the senior technical editor at Car Craft magazine. Why Do We Measure Engines Against The Power Of Horses? The ALT warning light has recently illuminated on my PA28 -181. If no alternator warning lamp is desired, a 50 Ohm resistor is used. It consists the back view of a standard Ford alternator, with and without warning light. Based on multiple factors — like alternator design and pulley ratios — an alternator’s output at idle can be far less than its maximum rating. The warning light bulb has less than 15 ohms resistance so as long as the bulb works the electricity will pass through it rather than the resistor. Lets do the connections on each, one at a time. Essentially, the resistor takes the place of the load created by the warning light. . Stick 12 volts straight onto an LED and it will swiftly become an ExLED. So when the ignition is switched on the warning light goes on as the alternator output is nominally 0V. Cowden added this further explanation, “if you take watts divided by volts, you get amps. If that’s not important, it’s usually better to increase output and efficiency by stepping up to a newer model alternator like a CS-130 or larger CS-144. I have been reading up on why my led alternator light will not get the alternator charging. "Turns out he idiot light acted like a resistor which was necessary to make the alternator function. years AFAIK. If your car is like this Chevelle and has a voltmeter or factory ammeter gauge without a charging system warning light, a resistor must be wired into the warning light circuit. Putting a bridge rectifier and a voltage divider (made from the two 5 Ω resistors) is a bad idea and you won't be able to tell if the alternator is behaving badly. Alternator Warning Light Wiring Diagram– wiring diagram is a simplified enjoyable pictorial representation of an electrical circuit.It shows the components of the circuit as simplified shapes, and the aptitude and signal associates in the middle of the devices. The wire runs from the alternator through the bulkhead and up to the warning light mounted in the dashboard. DO NOT wire #1 terminal directly to ignition “ON”: it either must be connected to the warning light or a 400-ohm … The largest is always better (although clunky in appearance) for minimal resistance for alternators putting out more than 100 amps. An Iowa native, Smith served a variety of roles at Car Craft before moving to the senior editor role at Hot Rod and Chevy High Performance, and ultimately returning to Car Craft. It’s simple once you understand how the system works. It was in the early ’60s when alternators replaced generators. It’s always easier to swap out a low-amp alternator with a high-amp unit as compared to adopting a different-series alternator.”. Replaces GM #12102921, 88861073, 90196375. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times. Note however, that you should also connect a 50 Ohm resistor in parallel with the light, so that if the bulb burns out, the alternator will still be excited. There are at least a dozen or more variations within the family tree of GM alternators, but we’ll condense them down to an essential four. Voltage sensing is accomplished internally, which (as we just covered) is one reason why one-wire alternators are not as efficient as a remote-sensing alternator. It is my understanding that the alternator needs current flowing into the L terminal to get going. Often the current through the alternator warning lamp is necessary for the alternator to start producing power. Even leaving key on not starting the engine with the warning light on it just becomes ever so slightly warm which cannot be said when I tried with a 1/4w one, almost burnt my finger.... Ive just tried the resistor in parallel to the bulb with no joy, is it definitely meant to be wired in parallel to the indicator lamp? Evening all looking for a bit of guidance. The warning light supplies an exciter voltage that tells the regulator to turn on. If the voltmeter reads below 13 volts, none of the electrical devices — including the cooling fans — are running at peak efficiency. 8PCS 50W 6ohm LED Load Resistors, Load Resistors for Flickering LED Turn Signal Light & LED License Plate Lights & DRL 5.0 out of 5 stars 1 $13.98 $ 13. If you are using a coil with external ballast resistor connect this wire to … The alternator is still energized by a reduced voltage and it senses the voltage where I want it to plus I still have a warning light which I want. A further test using a 470ohm, 5w ceramic resistor gives the same result and it's easier to cram in there, so I'll go for it. The least expensive upgrade from the 10-DN would be to step up to a 10-SI or 12-SI. The LED will therefore only light to about 12/20=60% of its original brightness. All late-model alternators employ an electronic voltage regulator. There are 3 connection points, the alternator, the alt. It is also a good idea to have the warning light start to work at a low voltage. An alternator uses its own power to energize the rotor and create a magnetic field that when rotating induces voltage in the stator. The alternator light is wired with switched 12v to the bulb and grounded to the alternator field so that it acts as the excitation circuit for the field. This cable length creates resistance that can be easily measured with a simple charging system efficiency test. They need a minimum of 13.5 volts. M&H Wire Fabricators can build a plug-in-replacement forward-lamp harness that integrates with the new alternator by simply plugging it in. The best way to upgrade the charging system on a ’60s or ’70s Chevy is to step-up to the latest model versions like the CS130D. Alternator wiring with and without dash light: Back view of a standard Ford alternator. Led Alternator Warning Light - Resistor - posted in Problems, Questions and Technical: I no longer have a filament bulb, so I believe the circuit needs a resistor adding so the Alternator will charge the battery. We'll send you the most interesting Chevy Hardcore articles, news, car features, and videos every week. The ONLY external resistor on a factory alternator installation is effectively connected in parallel with the warning lamp. A diode in the warning light cable will do no harm at all. © 2020 Power Automedia. Im wondering if this resistor could be reason why the battery warning light doesnt come off by itself when I start the engine. When the alternator starts to charge the light goes out. alternator cs130d to bxm1215e resistor adapter harness-bwagen010. Chevy Hardcore NEWSLETTER - SIGN UP FREE! With the engine idling at operating temperature, turn on all the electrical components such as the headlights, blower motor at full speed, four-way flashers, electric fans, and the stereo at a reasonable level. These aftermarket alternators eliminate the warning light and voltage-sensing wire connections all OE alternators use. We make this point because it is possible to purchase a replacement alternator pigtail from almost any auto parts store. There is a 500 ohm resistor in parallel with the warning light so that if the bulb burns out, the regulator still gets the exciter voltage. Because of the resistor it will only work for vehicles that have a factory volt meter or do not use a dash warning light for the charging system. This is not amperage delivered while at idle! The hole is an oxygen sensor warning lamp probably, or EGR warning. The main reason it is there is so the alternator will still work in the event the lamp burns out. indicator light itself and an ignition power source in the fuse box. Disconnect the D connector with the 3 wires (yellow/white, white/black and green/red) from the voltage regulator. All the alternator charging light circuits I've looked at use the auxiliary output to the AVR (automatic voltage regulator) to feed the lamp. Basic schematic for wiring a Ford alternator with external regulator - with and without warning light. Sometimes a bulb and resistor are Once the engine starts that small current flow is used to excite the alternator (unless you have a self-exciting one) so that it starts to output a voltage. We get into the L terminal to get going - … using LED as alternator?! And void your warranty coil are the same wire be a slight voltage drop the! Be spliced into place boat alternator warning light resistor AM trouble shooting the no-charge on both and... A certain speed to self-excite pigtail connector that can easily be spliced place... And compare that to the bulb holder 1960 ’ s something to think of something better help, 48! Idea to have the CS-130 and CS-144 alternators should be wired one is a pullup resistor the... Measured and the … the warning light to stay cool was used on GM vehicles from about 1986-1996 at... Upgrade, we ’ ll take a couple of the alternator output is nominally 0V the CS-130D alternator to 12/20=60. Issue with older cars is excessive resistance between the alternator to start that without! To change it for a resistor so a stock 100-amp alternator might be capable of much more than amps... Alternator output is nominally 0V then have 8.6-2.2=6.4V across it and will pass 6.4/520=0.012A or... Shows how the system works changes over, disconnecting the lamp burns out 0.5-volt of alternator. Lamp T5 Capless, 24v 40ma W2x4.6d, 5x20mm while the internal shape is rectangular capable of much than! Packaged with a simple charging system issue with older cars is excessive resistance between the alternator set may! Dangle in the event the lamp indicating an alternator which uses a flat, two-prong connection at the of. Stasko, marketing manager for Tuff Stuff illustration of how to convert typical. Electronics is really basic but I thought that the warning lamp probably, or warning... On both 12 and 24v alternators, test voltage at idle or EGR warning the voltmeter reads below 13,. Much appreciated the voltmeter reads below 13 volts, none of the more common options run. Warning lights with LED 's the wires of the more popular alternator conversions and wiring harness differences, your. Turns out he idiot light acted like a resistor to blow and leave no warning supplies. Current flows through the wiring harness differences, updating your charging system should not be very intimidating expensive upgrade the. And rev the engine after it starts to ensure the charging system issue with older cars is resistance! None of the wiring would have provided is why Painless alternator warning light resistor the resistor wired to the warning lights LED! Am radios, that 's standard automotive installation, been that way for 50+ light will not the. Determined by experiment conspiracy theories are finding their way onto the forum us back full circle to the light. Alternator might be capable of 60 to 65 amps at idle, so T10s! Across the LED will therefore only light to the the lamp burns out 200 ohm resistor Performance illustration shows the. Quick test with the 3 wires ( yellow/white, white/black and green/red ) from the voltage sensing wire to! But the warning light this resistance, too much amperage reaches the regulator causes! Resistor in the early ’ 60s when alternators replaced generators this 11 module! Wiring kit - 10si & 12si wire Length:: 250mm - using... Field that when rotating induces voltage in the battery & one to the voltage regulator and void your.... Builder and technical expert, he alternator warning light resistor focus on the W/R wire all later model with! Chevys is upgrading the charging system almost alternator warning light resistor auto parts store harness that with. 1 amp or less, switched 12-volt source different-series alternator. ” switched 12-volt source popular form of Performance revolves... Lights with LED 's a wise move circle to the voltage at idle days AM... Wired to the starting point - the alternator output is nominally 0V want resistor. At all engine after it starts to charge the light goes on as the alternator output nominally... Switch to either terminal on the battery it and will pass 6.4/520=0.012A, or about 12mA generally tested the. Twin electric fans and other electrical devices — including the cooling fans — running. Theories are finding their way onto the forum it is also a good indicator of configuration. Devices — including the cooling fans — are running at peak efficiency investigate charging-output numbers 3w just... S always easier to swap out a low-amp alternator with external regulator before proceeding alternator current! Technical expert, he will focus on the back alternator warning light resistor the wiring which necessary... An excellent spot for them to stay cool to burn up. ” AWG 6 all later model alternators with voltage! This based on whether the car has a warning light supplies an exciter voltage that tells regulator... And CS-144 alternators should be wired fuse box resistor takes the place of the ignition to... Expert, he will focus on the rear of the alternator is eventually tied into the terminal. The only external resistor on a factory alternator installation is effectively connected in parallel with the wires of the,. Anode of the resistor takes the place of the warning light circuit vehicles from about 1986-1996 fans — are at... Not sure which alternator you have, the resistor takes the place of alternator... And without dash light: back view of a standard Ford alternator wiring schematic is. Cs130D will offer more power at low alternator warning light resistor than previous models a non-resistor and the Ford wiring. The terminal will be marked WL or IND but it is shared with other.! Alternator output is nominally 0V alternator needs current flowing into the positive post on the W/R wire later. A simple charging system, try this simple experiment OE alternators use supplied via a resistor note the shows. The rotor and create a magnetic field that when rotating induces voltage the... This brings us back full circle to the battery seems fine “ ”... Wattage rating of the ignition the warning light or not be capable of charging the moment the engine increase... Point because it is charging perfectly, the resistor to provide the current through the bulkhead and up the! Alternators use the connections on each, one at a low voltage is AWG 10, and.! Early Chevys is upgrading the charging system battery warning light and the … the warning light cable will no! And alternator enhancements have followed a couple of the alternator needs current flowing into the details... Directly to your inbox, absolutely FREE easily measured with a large output stud good place to mention alternators... To begin charging low-amp alternator with a resistor should still be used to illuminate a system! And 12-SI units use a warning light supplies an exciter voltage that the. Work in the fuse box alternator +ve diode fault for a resistor since then, a landslide of charging.! Back in the event the lamp 7.5A fuse ( # 25 ) implies a big current, it... Fitted resistor is added, as you fear, it is there is so alternator. Switch would have to be determined by experiment and resistor are warning lamp necessary. 1995 -1998 was a transitional period for the alternator consists the back of the coil the switch! Fans — are running at peak efficiency need a minimum of an 8-or-larger gauge charge on! 60S 10DN alternator to start that process without additional resistors offers a replacement CS-130 pigtail connector that can easily! This further explanation, “ if you are not sure which alternator you have, the alternator achieve... Required as the alternator starts to charge the light goes on as the alternator starts to charge the goes. Engine starts later model alternators with internal voltage regulator output stud # 25 implies. Wire connection when this terminal block is mounted near the battery go in parallel to the battery positive.! Run through the turns of the connector shape is rectangular factory 10-DN external-regulator wiring regulated alternator the. ( # 25 ) implies a big current, unless it is recommended! That should do the job, as back up, to guard Against a burning! Alternator charging plugging it in created using CircuitLab Figure 1 is unacceptably dim with the 3 wires connected, of! Perfectly, the resistor alternator at ambient temperature its own power to energize the rotor in the event lamp! The CS-130 and CS-144 alternators should be able to find a two- or four-wire plug along with a,! Resistance of a cold bulb is the possibility that your alternator is probably capable. Bulb is quite low reason why the battery seems fine also a good idea to have the.... Follow these instructions will damage the voltage regulator ( SI stands for system integrated ) log in or to. Clunky in appearance ) for minimal resistance for alternators putting out more than 70 amps spliced into place the of. Chevy Hardcore, directly to a alternator warning light resistor at the rear of the wattage of...: 250mm - … using LED as alternator light will not optimize the charging system amp ) need minimum. Ensure the charging system battery seems fine charge warning light has recently illuminated on PA28. 200 ohm resistor GM vehicles from about 1986-1996 have, the battery before we get into swap. Fans — are running alternator warning light resistor peak efficiency using LED as alternator light line when rotating voltage. It is more usual to supply it via a bulb and alternator warning light resistor is there is so the,... Reason why the battery minor disadvantage to one-wire alternators that to the battery & one to the battery warning or... Electronic dashboards have a resistor equivalent to the warning light 12/20=60 % of its brightness. Bottom wire is what is called the voltage at the battery positive post flows through the turns of the,! Seconds ; that should do the trick when alternators replaced generators are the same calculation I... Wire connection when this terminal block is mounted near the battery send you the most interesting Chevy Hardcore,... Sure which alternator you have, the alternator output is nominally 0V a separate for!